OT Will someone tell me why Jon Wilner hates Arizona?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on the UA Scout board right now and after Wilner's new next season picks came out with him picking UA 4th(because Williams went pro) the immediate response was "Wilner hates UA."

I asked why because as I've said on this board before, I've exchanged emails with the guy off and on for years and fans of every team in the conference think he hates them. So far I've had one guy outright refuse to give an example and act insulted that I asked for one(I offered to email it to Wilner and post his reply). ANother person said yeah right like he'd admit it, he would, he readily admits he doesn't like Floyd and Calipari, writes it on his newspapers website everytime they come up.

Apparently there are very well known reasons to UA fans why Wilner hates UA, and nobody will tell this non UA fan.

My take, if I posted that same prediction on every Pac 10 scout site, at least 7 of the 10 would have fans saying Wilner hates (UW, ASU, WSU etc).

Nature of the job.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's just stupid fans being stupid fans. Almost every sportswriter in the country certain crazy Arizona fans has thought has hated the Cats at one point or another. Same goes with every fan base whose school that gets mention.

Regarding Wilner's thoughts? I personally think Arizona is way underrated going into 2011-2012. Losing Derrick hurts but they have everyone else coming back and bring in a pretty sick class. Probably won't be as good as last season but still a Tournament team.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just stupid fans being stupid fans. Almost every sportswriter in the country certain crazy Arizona fans has thought has hated the Cats at one point or another. Same goes with every fan base whose school that gets mention.

Regarding Wilner's thoughts? I personally think Arizona is way underrated going into 2011-2012. Losing Derrick hurts but they have everyone else coming back and bring in a pretty sick class. Probably won't be as good as last season but still a Tournament team.

Well you have to understand something about Wilner, he wrote it a couple of weeks ago and he actually wrote it again yesterday but then deleted it. He does not believe Turner will qualify. He wrote it fairly recently he said I'll believe it when he shows up at UA, and then he made fun of the name Quality Education Academy. So I suspect part of his 4th place is because he doesn't think Turner will qualify.

He is the same guy who had to publicly apologize after Mayo's first game at USC because he wrote repeatedly he'll never play for USC and if he does, I'll publicly apologize.

I guess we'll see I agree 4th is too low, I think right now it's a tossup with UA, UCLA, UW and Cal all in the mix. Cal isn't as deep but good and well coached, they only lost 1 player.

Stanford would be my sleeper but I'm just not sold on Dawkins as a coach.