OT: Whats more important - QB or Coach?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Some offseason discussion...

I am a big believer in the QB + HC corrollary. If you rank all the QB's on a 10 point scale and then all the HC's on a 10 point scale the team that comes up with highest score is going to achieve the highest level of consistent success. Not exactly ground breaking stuff but I believe you can cobble the rest of a team together if you have the right HC and QB and still be pretty damn good.

But what if you had to choose one or the other? As an analogy lets use the Pats as the point of discussion. Take Tom Brady's injury out of it or any long term fears you might have and ask yourself this.

If either Belicheck or Brady HAD to be moved this offseason and you run the Pats franchise - who are you siding with? The guy who runs the program or the relatively young stud who plays the most important position in sports?

Would Belichek be a champion without Tom Brady? Sure he went 11-5 last year but they missed the playoffs still. Could you really just plug in another QB and continue to win rings? Keep in mind how difficult it is to find a QB.

Would Tom Brady be the player he is with out Belicheck's staff and what they put around him? He played pretty well even before the gave him so many toys on offense? Would he be successful elsewhere?

In any other sport you would almost ALWAYS go with the player. But football is different as the coaching is SO important. We know that all too well with Wiz's relative success.

What do you guys think - Who would you go with?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Watching Warner and the Cards offense work under Green and then with Whisenhunt I'd go with Coach.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
The QB may be the heart of the team but it's the Coach that provides the overall, team leadership.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Coach is more important.

Offensive Line is also more important. It doesn't matter who you have at QB if he's getting blindsighted and hurried to the point where he has no time.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Coach is the most important. However, you have to have chemistry with the franchise QB if you want to succeed. It'd be very interesting to see how Denver would do if sourpuss Cutler was still McDaniel's franchise QB.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In football, the ultimate team game, the coach matters most.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach, hands down.

I am a huge Whisenhunt fan, and why the Cards have not torn up his contract and extended him is beyond me. He is super-smart and methodical instead of emotional.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson