OT: Time to fire up the coaching/ F O hot seat

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They are still getting paid and should perform to the best of their ability. Some will certainly be looking for other jobs and that is a distraction. Some will probably be retained if they have earned it.
In a perfect world, I guess. In the real world? Not happening for most. There's zero incentive here.

Edit: I suppose I should also say I think this is a generational thing, or just changing times. I can't tell you how many times I've been told I should just be happy I have a job and do things for the glory of the company, who I am supposed to be proud to work for. But these days there's absolutely zero loyalty back to employees from companies, and they are quick to overwork and discard individuals. It's not like the old days where you worked somewhere for 35 years, got a gold watch, and a pension.

...as you can tell, I'm bitter, haha.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
In a perfect world, I guess. In the real world? Not happening for most. There's zero incentive here.

Unless you are a guy with a guaranteed contract (CEO with golden parachute, pro athlete, etc)...we are all on 1 year deals. The incentive is to do your best, earn your pay, and earn more opportunities (pay increase, promotion, better job with different company, etc).

What we get paid is what we are owed for doing the job...nothing more or less. Everything else is up to us. Meaning if you don't like it...change it.

FWIW - I have a friend that has been an NFL scout for years. He has worked for 4-5 teams in the last 6-8 years. When a coach/GM leaves or gets fired, there is a lot of turmoil. I would say it goes with the job (understood and accepted). Like being in the military.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you are a guy with a guaranteed contract (CEO with golden parachute, pro athlete, etc)...we are all on 1 year deals. The incentive is to do your best, earn your pay, and earn more opportunities (pay increase, promotion, better job with different company, etc).

What we get paid is what we are owed for doing the job...nothing more or less. Everything else is up to us. Meaning if you don't like it...change it.

FWIW - I have a friend that has been an NFL scout for years. He has worked for 4-5 teams in the last 6-8 years. When a coach/GM leaves or gets fired, there is a lot of turmoil. I would say it goes with the job (understood and accepted). Like being in the military.
Ask him how Isiah Simmons fits on the Cardinals!

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Courtesy of The Scoop
https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Jay Glazer shared this morning that Mike McCarthy’s visit with the Cowboys went so well that he stayed an extra night and is still there.

Washington Redskins: The Redskins are planning to wait until after the draft to hire a GM, Adam Schefter tweets.

Cleveland: The Browns reportedly plan to interview Brian Daboll today, Josh McDaniels tomorrow and Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski soon (his availability is dependent upon how the Vikings do today vs New Orleans).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Courtesy of The Scoop
https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Jay Glazer shared this morning that Mike McCarthy’s visit with the Cowboys went so well that he stayed an extra night and is still there.

Washington Redskins: The Redskins are planning to wait until after the draft to hire a GM, Adam Schefter tweets.

Cleveland: The Browns reportedly plan to interview Brian Daboll today, Josh McDaniels tomorrow and Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski soon (his availability is dependent upon how the Vikings do today vs New Orleans).

Man I hope they hire McCarthy. Dude is so mediocre.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

That would be great if companies weren’t allowed to force you to take a salaried position, take on unlimited amounts of work, change your job description on a whim, fire you without cause, and comparable jobs were competitive and available. Not to mention uprooting your entire family or moving away from family or friends to seek opportunities.

“Work hard and shut up” is a terrible mantra when you hold none of the power. If more people fought against this and companies had any culpability besides “improve the ‘economy’,” things would change.

Same applies for the scouts and staff in this situation. If I were them, I would organize and quit.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
That would be great if companies weren’t allowed to force you to take a salaried position, take on unlimited amounts of work, change your job description on a whim, fire you without cause, and comparable jobs were competitive and available. Not to mention uprooting your entire family or moving away from family or friends to seek opportunities.

“Work hard and shut up” is a terrible mantra when you hold none of the power. If more people fought against this and companies had any culpability besides “improve the ‘economy’,” things would change.

Same applies for the scouts and staff in this situation. If I were them, I would organize and quit.
Sorry Solar but you're not owed a job

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sorry Solar but you're not owed a job
Not owed a job, but jobs should treat people with decency and respect. They are also not owed my time for free, but when all professional jobs are salaried, they sure as hell demand it.

Gotta have a job to live though, so we deal with it, while CEOs and stakeholders reap the wild benefits.

blindseyed

Reaction score
Not owed a job, but jobs should treat people with decency and respect. They are also not owed my time for free, but when all professional jobs are salaried, they sure as hell demand it.

Gotta have a job to live though, so we deal with it, while CEOs and stakeholders reap the wild benefits.
You're allowed to get another job, you're not forced to stay if you're not happy and aren't getting respect

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You're allowed to get another job, you're not forced to stay if you're not happy and aren't getting respect
In the case of Humphries, he’s actually not. His rights are tied into a major non-compete. He can be stolen away, but at a major cost, and his current company that retains his rights is reluctant to pay him what others would most likely be willing.

In my personal case, there is only one other game in town in my industry, and they both artificially hold down wages for roles at my level because they you only realistically have a choice of one or the other, or move away.

blindseyed

Reaction score
In the case of Humphries, he’s actually not. His rights are tied into a major non-compete. He can be stolen away, but at a major cost, and his current company that retains his rights is reluctant to pay him what others would most likely be willing.

In my personal case, there is only one other game in town in my industry, and they both artificially hold down wages for roles at my level because they you only realistically have a choice of one or the other, or move away.
I'm assuming DJ signed a contract with that possibility in there?
And as far as your job, the choices might suck but you have choices

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm assuming DJ signed a contract with that possibility in there?
And as far as your job, the choices might suck but you have choices
I don’t have choices when the businesses collude to make the experience awful for all employees. Not viable for people to sue though, since the proof isn’t really there. This kind of leverage only exists when people know you don’t want to move.

To DJ’s situation, he has no flexibility. He will be stuck with his career in flux on a one year deal if he takes the franchise tag. That’s why I hope he just settles into a decent long term deal.

blindseyed

Reaction score
I don’t have choices when the businesses collude to make the experience awful for all employees. Not viable for people to sue though, since the proof isn’t really there. This kind of leverage only exists when people know you don’t want to move.

To DJ’s situation, he has no flexibility. He will be stuck with his career in flux on a one year deal if he takes the franchise tag. That’s why I hope he just settles into a decent long term deal.
Again DJ signed a contract knowing this situation he is in could occur, so... that's on him.

Well it sucks your company does that and morally they should treat people better but you still have choices, you could work at home Depot or somewhere else. Again it may not be ideal, what we want or what we are trained for but there are choices no matter how sucky

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

·
4m

Cowboys officially informed Jason Garrett that he will not be returning as their head coach, as
@JayGlazer reported. Cowboys’ HC search, which already has brought interviews with Marvin Lewis and Mike McCarthy, now continues on.
If they hire McCarthy, they will be a prominent team again. Not a Marvin Lewis fan, but he is also a HUGE upgrade from Garrett. How did Garrett last almost a decade there???

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCarthy going to be mad as hell by week 5 & realize his QB isn’t Rodgers or Favre.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think McCarthy is a damn good coach. IMO, the Cowboys will get to the next level with McCarthy. Dak is in no way as gifted a QB as Rodgers, but he's coachable & isn't a prima donna douchebag. I guess time will tell. One thing is certain. The Cowboys were going nowhere with Garrett at the helm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson