OT Rotoworld Reporting Lakers Acquire Gasol

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
And here's what I don't understand. If the Grizzlies are trying to dump salary space, then why the hell would they trade Swift for Collins? Collins has 2 years left on his contract and Swift is expiring! This makes no sense!

Swift has a player option for next year for 6.2M, no financial loss here.
I was too late, abomb has already answered.

Anyway Memphis is in trouble, they couldnt unload Cardinal's terrible contract, that makes the Gasol trade really bad for them.

Last edited:

Calvin

Reaction score
If Memphis really wants to blow everything up

Marion, Tucker and the Atl Pick

for

Mike Miller, Warrick, Darko, Lowry

At least 3 of those guys fit our system and Marion almost certainly opts out freeing up more salary cap money for Memphis next year.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Congrats to the Lakers. Seriously. I hate them, but they at least made a quality move. They are going to blaze right through the West now, IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

for

At least 3 of those guys fit our system and Marion almost certainly opts out freeing up more salary cap money for Memphis next year.

Memphis will keep Darko/Lowry.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Lakers have always been smart enough to try and find good bigs.

Sorry but the Suns are playing up hill every night because they lack so much size.

Ad the fact that this team is coached by a guy that ignores defense and using the bench.

The Suns window to win is fading fast.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
man, i dont know how someone doesnt think this is bad for the suns. okay, we already couldnt deal with their size with bynum and now gasol who can score and pass and rebound . he is now surrounded by a better team so he WILL thrive in the lakers system. i am more pissed that the stubborn idiotic d'antoni hasnt changed up style, made an adjustment or added a player. that makes me past mad. then WHEN we lose in the playoffs he will say oh, we didnt play with the right energy or oh , we werent focused. yeah right, thats the same crap even when we are outrebounded by 20 boards. WHATEVA!! i dont give a damn how much energy you have, it cant be full throttle every single game and being outsized by so much.

A DEAL NEEDS TO BE MADE! mavs, spurs, and now lakers are all trying to win. come on kerr, get it done! ...........if they really want to win. im mad guys

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty much... I think.. and most here... apart from the really really optimistic... or blind.
That pretty much,

[A] Despite the record, Suns are weaker, the thing is, so are the Spurs and Mavs, the 2 biggest obstacles in the west. This year, Suns biggest chance, well it should of been anyways, they join the other 2. Teams like Hornets can run and gun with the Suns as they have similar players but with defense and SIZE. Jazz too...
Spurs showed even at their "weak" state and WITHOUT Parker.. can still beat the Suns simply because D'Antoni cannot coach against "good" coaches.

Now, the Lakers that the Suns always seem to own in the playoffs, well, they have proven they can beat the Suns now just by going inside... well... they just filed an insurance with that tactic by adding another BIG next to the BIGS the Suns have trouble guarding... and the thing is, this BIG is multi-faceted and actually VERY GOOD.

As it seems... IT SEEMS (stretching it), Suns are behind a few teams, despite what the record shows... Mavs, Spurs, Hornets, Lakers, Jazz are very capable of beating the Suns in a series.

Yes... Hornets. Why?. Because CP3 is a player that absolutely thrives in the offense/defense Suns give Hornets... and they have athletic bigs who defend and rebound... shooters and not to mention a big man with a back to the basket game... oh did I mention, CP3 THRIVES in this tempo.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gasol is Amare's bitch, Bring him on.

Plus he's softer then ****. I'm down.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score

for

You got to it first. Here's another variation, that actually might be a bit closer to what they might accept under these oddly rebuilding times for them.

After their trades they have a roster like this:
PG: Lowry/Conley/Crittendon
SG: Miller/Navaro
SF: Gay/Cardinal/Jacobsen
PF: Warrick/A. Brown
C: Darko/Kwame/Collins

So, here's my proposal:
Marion/Tucker/Strawberry/Atl Pick
for
Miller/Darko/Warrick/Navaro

This is closer to a deal that Memphis might be interested in because Marion would definitely opt out this summer for them, they get 2 good youngs that dont really see time with us, plus they get another 1st round pick.
This would help us by giving us another proven 3pt shooter, 2 more bigs (size is key), and a back-up PG for Nash (Navarro can play either guard spot AND Crittendon can play SG for Memphis)

Here's their roster after this deal:
PG: Conley/Lowry
SG: Strawberry/Crittendon
SF: Gay/Tucker/Jacobsen
PF: Marion/Cardinal/A. Brown
C: Kwame/Collins

That's a very young team with a lot of potential talent. It would also give them 3 first round picks this year. Potential that 2 of those will be in the lottery (Memphis pick and Atlanta pick) to grab some good bigs say Beasley with their pick, Gallinari with the Atlanta pick and a center or someone with the Laker pick. With those two guys they could move Gay to SG with Galinari at SF and Beasley at PF.

It would give us a roster like this:
Nash/Navarro/Banks
Bell/Barbosa/Pike
Miller/Hill
Diaw/Warrick/Marks
Amare/Darko/Skinner

Versatility galore, more size, more defense, more offense.
Navarro plays PG/SG
Miller SG/SF
Warrick SF/PF
Darko PF/C (another plus is that he's a 7 footer that would be able to run with this team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gasol is Amare's bitch, Bring him on.

Plus he's softer then ****. I'm down.

Too bad Amare won't be matched up with Gasol, he'll get Andrew Bynum who has owned Stoudemire in their two meetings this season. Gasol will get Shawn Marion and Grant Hill will get Lamar Odom. That should be interesting experiment to see how many games you can win when the other team gets an offensive board on every possession.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn't the Suns trade an expiring contract and 2 picks for $$$$? The Lakers just turned that same **** into an all star? **** Sarver.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

for

Pipe dream. Warrick, Darko, and Lowery all make relatively nothing and is part of the young core Memphis wants to build around. Some variation of Barbosa for Miller Memphis would probably take. Doesn't matter though, the Suns need size and Memphis has none left. And Alando Tucker and DJ Strawberry have next to nothing in trade value.

Didn't the Suns trade an expiring contract and 2 picks for $$$$? The Lakers just turned that same **** into an all star? **** Sarver.
Ugh, great point.

Last edited:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score

Easy to see how it happened. Lakers did it to add talent, Suns did it to shed salary.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would love to see Nash Amare and Marion get traded to a contender for cash. I want to see those guys do well and I want to see Sarver go broke and homeless. That guy is a moronic miser that deserves it.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Easy to see how it happened. Lakers did it to add talent, Suns did it to shed salary.

Well when you look at it that way...oh wait that's how I'm looking at it and it ********.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bynum + Gasol... power and finesse...

So... Suns = More trouble.

And oh... Odom... gets about 16/10 every games against us... so yeah... thats about 35 rebounds between those 3... and a lot of bodies to throw on Amare/Marion/Diaw.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that Stern could have been involved in making it possible for his two cherished franchises to acquire all stars in exchange for garbage?

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Too bad Amare won't be matched up with Gasol, he'll get Andrew Bynum who has owned Stoudemire in their two meetings this season. Gasol will get Shawn Marion and Grant Hill will get Lamar Odom. That should be interesting experiment to see how many games you can win when the other team gets an offensive board on every possession.
Point is:

Gasol is soft.

And LOL @ people declaring them #1 in the west. They won't even win the Pacific rofl

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I just haven't been able to figure out the damtoni approach til now,maybe his favorite story is David vs Goliath.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
problem with that is if David misses, Goliath will squash him.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, Stern doesn't have to do anything when there are ******** GM's out there making these deals.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is there any possibility that Jerry West was involved in this trade? I just don't understand this at all. Didn't the Bulls make infinitely better offers than this for Gasol? Didn't the Celtics get 100 better offers for Garnett? Obviously I'm losing it. I need to think about something else. I need to go talk to Sunsman for a while.