OT - Report concludes Patriots probably cheated, Brady aware

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Four games for Brady, $1M for Patriots and the loss of their R1 pick next year and a R4 the following year feels like a statement not just a slap on the wrist.

Either way, its a good statement the NFL made. Especially if it can happen to Brady, then it can happen to anyone

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
League overreacted here. This is absurd.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Barely 4 games for Brady?! And once he appeals, that will be brought down to like 2 or 3!

Brady should be punished more than the team!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Live in New England then get back to us. Worst sports fans in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the fans of the Patriots have to do with the Patriots? You think it is any different with Raiders fans or Bronco fans or 49er fans or Seahawk fans? Most fans of winning teams are obnoxious because they are fans who weren't around for the lean times. They aren't knowledge, and their opinions and comments reflect that. Oh well. I don't talk to them. It doesn't discount that the Pats are now going to be an awful watch for four games next season. I, the consumer, lose in that scenario.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yup, it's a start.

Maybe Brady won't be so smug anymore.

What? You are blaming a guy for carrying himself with significant confidence when the entire league passed on him for 5 rounds? He then worked his wat into being one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. He bagged a super model wife? All after being benched heading into his senior year at MIchigan for a freshman phenom. His attitude is what got him here, and I don't see why people begrudge him of that.

Did he screw up here? Yes. Should he have lied? No. But a suspension in 2015 is better than a suspension in the Super Bowl. In that, he is smart.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Agreed. Brady is paying the "liar tax" which I'm sure he did because he didn't want to risk missing the Super Bowl. NFL kneejerk IMO, but if it ends up at 2 games, I see the reasoning. One for the offense, and one for the lie.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Really? Four games for Brady, $1M for Patriots and the loss of their R1 pick next year and a R4 the following year feels like a statement not just a slap on the wrist.

Agreed. Anyone who thinks this is getting off light is not looking at it objectively.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For a first time offense maybe but the pats have a history and they did not cooperate. The reason they said they had no proof with Brady is he refused to turn over his cellphone so they could check it.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is ridiculous Ray Rice gets an initial two game suspension for beating his wife and Tom Brady gets four games for deflated footballs. The NFL under Goodell is an absolute mess.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It is ridiculous Ray Rice gets an initial two game suspension for beating his wife and Tom Brady gets four games for deflated footballs. The NFL under Goodell is an absolute mess.

But past behavior factors in here...it's kind of like how Dennis Rodman used to get unusually large penalties for things other people would do just as bad or worse. When you compound the other cheating the patriots have done you get this bad of a penalty. I have zero sympathy for the patriots...screw them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Apples and orange situations. Off-the-field, non-competitive penalties are going to be less for several reasons. The most prominent being that the justice system provides the bulk of the penalty for the offense. Meanwhile, offenses that impact the integrity of the game HAVE to be dealt with severely, the viability of the league itself is at stake. Ask Pete Rose about that one.

You will fry your brain trying to make sense of such penalties by comparing them.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking forward to the appeal and lawsuit.

P.S. Can you imagine what baseball's would look like if they allowed pitchers access to them before games?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But past behavior factors in here...it's kind of like how Dennis Rodman used to get unusually large penalties for things other people would do just as bad or worse. When you compound the other cheating the patriots have done you get this bad of a penalty. I have zero sympathy for the patriots...screw them.

I don't have any sympathy for Brady or the Patriots. Every single Super Bowl victory* that team has is tainted. That being said Goodell and his punishments are wildly disproportionate. His stewardship to everyone but the owners is becoming a joke. To be honest I am getting tired of the NFL, it's more spectacle/entertainment than a game and that change has happened under Goodell's leadership.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apples and orange situations. Off-the-field, non-competitive penalties are going to be less for several reasons. The most prominent being that the justice system provides the bulk of the penalty for the offense. Meanwhile, offenses that impact the integrity of the game HAVE to be dealt with severely, the viability of the league itself is at stake. Ask Pete Rose about that one.

You will fry your brain trying to make sense of such penalties by comparing them.

What about the league's responsibility in ensuring the competitive integrity?

(allowing teams access to game balls... Really!)

TJ

Reaction score
For a first time offense maybe but the pats have a history and they did not cooperate. The reason they said they had no proof with Brady is he refused to turn over his cellphone so they could check it.

Brady is a first-time offender, so why should he get hammered with a 4-game suspension when there's a written rule that this is a $25k fine?

As for the cell phone, Brady didn't have to turn his phone over. I can tell you that if I were investigated for anything, and my phone wasn't subpoenaed, I wouldn't turn it in either, whether I was innocent or otherwise.

I get a bit uneasy when I hear that penalties were levied on someone because someone "probably" did something.

TJ

Reaction score
Looking forward to the appeal and lawsuit.

P.S. Can you imagine what baseball's would look like if they allowed pitchers access to them before games?

"You put snot on the ball?!?!?!"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brady is a first-time offender, so why should he get hammered with a 4-game suspension when there's a written rule that this is a $25k fine?

As for the cell phone, Brady didn't have to turn his phone over. I can tell you that if I were investigated for anything, and my phone wasn't subpoenaed, I wouldn't turn it in either, whether I was innocent or otherwise.

I get a bit uneasy when I hear that penalties were levied on someone because someone "probably" did something.

The reason they said probably is he wouldn't give up his phone so they could prove he had knowledge.

It is the culture of cheating. He didn't cooperate and they had reason to believe the reason he was talking so much to the guys involved was to find out if they were telling the NFL the truth or not.

TJ

Reaction score
The reason they said probably is he wouldn't give up his phone so they could prove he had knowledge.

It is the culture of cheating. He didn't cooperate and they had reason to believe the reason he was talking so much to the guys involved was to find out if they were telling the NFL the truth or not.

So Wells couldn't find alternative ways to conclude that he cheated beyond a reasonable doubt and had to conclude a 240+ page report saying that he "probably" cheated? Either he did, or he didn't.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished, but to pigeonhole him because he didn't relinquish his personal cellphone is silly.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the league told Payton that ignorance was no excuse,...and banned him for a year.....still waiting to see what they do with bellicheat over this one.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Wells couldn't find alternative ways to conclude that he cheated beyond a reasonable doubt and had to conclude a 240+ page report saying that he "probably" cheated? Either he did, or he didn't.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished, but to pigeonhole him because he didn't relinquish his personal cellphone is silly.

I'm not sure how many times is has to be repeated but it is civil case like this probably is the same thing as beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal case

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson