OT: Patriots might not play Thursday night NFL season opener

Reaction score
Problem I have with it (if the article is correct) is the following paragraph:
To celebrate the occasion, the NFL is apparently thinking about having two of its oldest teams -- the Bears and the Packers -- open the 2019 season with a Thursday night game in either Green Bay or Chicago. The Packers just celebrated their 100th season in 2018 and the Bears will be celebrating their 100th year in 2019, so the pairing would definitely make sense.
If the objective is the two oldest NFL teams it should be BEARS vs. CARDINALS.

We Cardinals fans know this. I don't expect the average NFL fan to know this, but the NFL sure as hell knows it! :mad: Here is a photo I took at the HOF in Canton, Ohio:

You must be registered for see images attach

The Packers, though they may have been a football team, were not in the league until 1920. There is also this from the HOF's own website:
Chris O'Brien formed a neighborhood team, which played under the name the Morgan Athletic Club, on the south side of Chicago. The team later became known as the Normals, then the Racine (for a street in Chicago) Cardinals, the Chicago Cardinals, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Phoenix Cardinals, and, in 1994, the Arizona Cardinals. The team remains the oldest continuing operation in pro football.

https://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/chronology-of-professional-football/

For cripes sake, NFL (Goodell) if you are going to do something do it right!

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I also heard from a friend in Cleveland that the Cardinals/Browns game could be the Thursday opener. Baker Mayfield has a ton of pull in the NFL right now. The Cardinals would have a full house to see us start under a new HC. I think it would be a great opener!!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also heard from a friend in Cleveland that the Cardinals/Browns game could be the Thursday opener. Baker Mayfield has a ton of pull in the NFL right now. The Cardinals would have a full house to see us start under a new HC. I think it would be a great opener!!!
I think the nfl will want higher profile teams to kick off the season. We would dig it but nationally not so much.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the nfl will want higher profile teams to kick off the season. We would dig it but nationally not so much.

Not necessarily. Baker Mayfield represents the future of the NFL, along with Mahomes, and Murray will join that group soon enough. The NFL won't admit it, but they know AZ was coached by a mentally challenged staff last year, and that it would be a great venue to start the season off. Especially with another supposed offensive genius entering the league. This would be an intriguing matchup.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Baker Mayfield represents the future of the NFL, along with Mahomes, and Murray will join that group soon enough. The NFL won't admit it, but they know AZ was coached by a mentally challenged staff last year, and that it would be a great venue to start the season off. Especially with another supposed offensive genius entering the league. This would be an intriguing matchup.
Intriguing yes. Marquee worthy? To us absolutely. However I honestly believe the fans and the networks would rather see the Chiefs, Saints, or the likes. I could see a cards /browns on the opening Sunday night or 1 of the 2 Monday night opening games.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Problem I have with it (if the article is correct) is the following paragraph:
If the objective is the two oldest NFL teams it should be BEARS vs. CARDINALS.

We Cardinals fans know this. I don't expect the average NFL fan to know this, but the NFL sure as hell knows it! :mad: Here is a photo I took at the HOF in Canton, Ohio:

You must be registered for see images attach

The Packers, though they may have been a football team, were not in the league until 1920. There is also this from the HOF's own website:

https://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/chronology-of-professional-football/

For cripes sake, NFL (Goodell) if you are going to do something do it right!

Well the article said " two of its oldest teams" not its two oldest. Face it the Bears/Packers is a regional rivalry and being 2 of the oldest franchises just adds that much more to it as well. Not to mention the Packers with an established star at QB and the Bears having recent success.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they even play one another but Rams vs. NO would be cool.
NFC West plays the South this year so they're definitely playing and it's in LA.

Well the article said " two of its oldest teams" not its two oldest. Face it the Bears/Packers is a regional rivalry and being 2 of the oldest franchises just adds that much more to it as well. Not to mention the Packers with an established star at QB and the Bears having recent success.

Packers/Bears is also a much bigger rivalry. Yes we're the oldest as per tradition but the Pack/Bears has always been a much contested rivalry. To be honest, we really don't have a team that would be considered our arch rivals. We might as fans say SF or Seattle but if you ask even the staunchest fans and they couldn't point to our chief rival. One of the reasons why we left Chicago is because we were too much of a second fiddle to the Bears.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose