OT: One of the Greats

Reaction score
Trivia time: Name the only man to ever play in both the NBA and the NFL.
(Bud) Grant is the only man to ever play in both the NBA and the NFL, winning the first championship in NBA history with the Minneapolis Lakers. While he was enlisted in the Navy during World War II, he played on a football team coached by Paul Brown. After finishing second in the NFL with 997 receiving yards in 1952, Grant became the first player in league history to play out his option, leaving the Philadelphia Eagles for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He later won four Grey Cups as a coach, returned to Minnesota to coach the Vikings to four Super Bowl appearances and became the first man inducted into both the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
And he recently held a garage sale. . . http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread140529/garage-sale-offers-glimpse-life-minnesota-vikings-hall-fame-coach-bud-grant

Terrific article!

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bud Grant, longtime coach of the Vikings. Got it right because he recently held an auction of his stuff and I read that bit of biography in the article on his auction. Minn. Lakers and Eagles as a player.

He had the right philosophy on coaching. No overnights on a cot, took days off to relax, enjoy his family, made sure his team got out of the locker room to do the same. That is one bit of NFL behavior that we'll probably never see again.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The Vikes were my 2nd fav team growing up as a young boy behind our beloved Big Red! Sooooo many great players & Coach Grant was a huge piece of that. He rarely smiled on the sidelines & was always calm, never even getting angry or upset. When I went to the HOF to see Werhli get inducted I even meet the great Paul Krause walking around inside & rode back on the same plane as Carl Eller from Cleveland to Minneapolis!

Good times

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson