OT: Oden looks to be done...again. (knee)

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watchin the blazer game, Oden came down and twisted his knee...looks to be dislocated or something equally as bad. They were shielding his eyes so he couldnt look at the knee and ended taking him off on a stretcher. Sucks for GO as it looks like hes just going to have a career hampered with injuries. Luckily they probably have one of the best backup big men on their bench in joel pryzbilla. (who I would recommend picking up in fantasy BB now that oden will be out for an extended amount of time.)

Its crazy how much potential this team HAD yet they really have seemed to peak already. I didnt understand the need for andre miller and now it looks like they are shopping him. Tough luck blazers.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think they shielded his eyes just so he would calm down.

At least I didn't see anything visually wrong with his knee. Really didn't look like anything, looked like a play that happens about 1000 times a season. I am afraid Oden is pretty much done he is so fragile. He can blow out his knee anytime by just jumping.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor guy, cant catch a break. Sad too, he had the potential to be very good.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Someone on another forum wrote that it appeared his knee cap was split in two so maybe they did shield his eyes to not look at it though that goes hand in hand with trying to calm him down.

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Someone on another forum wrote that it appeared his knee cap was split in two so maybe they did shield his eyes to not look at it though that goes hand in hand with trying to calm him down.

Thats what I saw as well but I wasnt sure since from what I remember it was a pretty quick shot. I didnt know if I was just seeing something else or what. But..I dont expect to see him back this year.

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Blazers anouncers say cracked knee cap, likely done for the year. Terrible luck for the guy. The blazers sure could have used milsap.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Microfracture and now this? He'll never fulfill the potential he once had. Poor kid, I feel sorry for him, he has some talent, it's too bad he'll never be a star. He might be just a journeyman center from this point on--his knees just won't hold up for very long.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sucks for Sam Bowie er...Oden.
Seriously though I feel bad for G.Oden, the guys already worked hard to come back from knee surgery to try to shed the "bust" label.

Tough break for the BLAZERS. Prysbilla(spelling?)is a capable center though in terms of filling out their already talented roster IMO.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Worst luck in the world. But this guy is the true definition of injury-prone. Even back in his college days, didn't he miss the first couple of games due to a injured wrist?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't understand how a healthy kneecap can fracture like that with no contact. I think he must have some sort of weak-bone disorder.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
definitely sad news - has to be demoralizing to have this happen after fighting back from the last one and starting to live up to the promise

i really wish the blazers would of drafted durant

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
The warning signs were there on draft day. From an '07 article:

Damaged Goods?
By Adrian Wojnarowski
September 13, 2007
Just this week on the telephone, there was an Eastern Conference executive studying Greg Oden’s pre-draft physical in his office. Even now, this report still didn’t look like the body of a 19-year old prospect, but that of an older, worn veteran.

“From our (trainers and doctors), there were red flags everywhere,” he said.

The executive started listing the troubled spots – the bulging disc in the back, wrists, the ankles, the hands, a right leg that was an inch longer than the left, and yes, the knees. He wasn’t alone. Several pulled files this week with news of impending knee surgery, and kept wondering if maybe the breakdown of his body was just a matter of time.

Despite it all, this executive believed the Blazers had done the right thing drafting the 7-footer over Kevin Durant. Then again, he never had a practical need for his medical staff to pour over Oden like Portland did. No one else but Seattle did.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't understand how a healthy kneecap can fracture like that with no contact. I think he must have some sort of weak-bone disorder.

I heard someone on TV saying part of it was that his muscles in his legs are so insanely strong they put an extreme amount of pressure on the bone causing the injury.

Also a few people here have mentioned Sam Bowie, but he's only one of a long line of Blazers big man saviors who never panned out due to injuries. They also had Bill Walton and Arvydas Sabonis (who had a nice NBA career but was slowed by injuries and never really himself) in addition to Bowie and Oden. Thats 4 top big man picks that never really reached their perceived potential due to injuries, its sad.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The warning signs were there on draft day. From an '07 article:

Sounds bogus... which Eastern Conference team would have that kind of insight?

As far as I know Oden only worked out for the Blazers so they would be the only team that could have that kind of information...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I heard someone on TV saying part of it was that his muscles in his legs are so insanely strong they put an extreme amount of pressure on the bone causing the injury.

That does not have the ring of truth. Muscles aren't going to a rip a healthy kneecap apart; a tendon would fail first. Any physical system breaks down at its weakest point. If that's the middle of a kneecap, something is wrong with the kneecap.

HooverDam

Reaction score
That does not have the ring of truth. Muscles aren't going to a rip a healthy kneecap apart; a tendon would fail first. Any physical system breaks down at its weakest point. If that's the middle of a kneecap, something is wrong with the kneecap.

http://tdn.com/sports/article_0013b709-ddad-57a8-b0b9-385b10c4fe34.html

The Blazers GM confirmed that Oden's injury was a non-impact type that likely occurred because the quadrcieps muscle in Oden's leg is so strong that it put intense pressure on his patella.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Also a few people here have mentioned Sam Bowie, but he's only one of a long line of Blazers big man saviors who never panned out due to injuries. They also had Bill Walton and Arvydas Sabonis (who had a nice NBA career but was slowed by injuries and never really himself) in addition to Bowie and Oden. Thats 4 top big man picks that never really reached their perceived potential due to injuries, its sad.

I'd take a championship with Walton, thank you very much. And Sabonis came to the league after his prime and still put up nice numbers and made good contributions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson