OT: Moving from Illinois to Phoenix area. Suggestions??

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My family is considering a move to the Phoenix area from the humidity in summer and the freezing winters of Illinois. We are passionate Cardinal fans, so moving to Arizona has an added bonus. I would be very thankful if folks on this page could give some suggestions of areas to look at that has good, reasonably cost homes for sale. Thank you!!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I’m with you here. I’m getting ready to retire and get a place as well in Arizona. I’m going to rent a place for the first year so I can really spend some time out there getting to know the area before I buy. I have found some apartments across from the stadium that I’m going to check out. They are called The Zone apartments. Good luck in your search.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family is considering a move to the Phoenix area from the humidity in summer and the freezing winters of Illinois. We are passionate Cardinal fans, so moving to Arizona has an added bonus. I would be very thankful if folks on this page could give some suggestions of areas to look at that has good, reasonably cost homes for sale. Thank you!!

Housing market is super rough right now. My house has doubled in value in 5 years.

I honestly would rent a year and it normalize

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Housing market is super rough right now. My house has doubled in value in 5 years.

I honestly would rent a year and it normalize

It hard to say Chris. I own a home I rent out and I am getting $2600 a month and they are begging me not to increase the rent when the lease expires. The rent is more than what they could purchase it for. Not everyone is able to qualify, for what ever reason.

I am a Realtor and was around during the 2008 housing crash. There were many contributing factors back then like stated income and inflated appraisals. Now the buyers are fully qualified for the loans they are receiving. There is a lot of cash purchases and cash being put down to make up for the appraisal amount and the purchase amount. This means the buyers have a vested interest, unlike in 2008.

It is possible there will be a small market correction but with the low interest rates and the cash and industries moving into our state, the prices may stabilize but I wouldn't bank on a huge drop in prices. If the interest rates start going up as some predict many may be frozen out of the housing market.

Of course, no one knows for sure but it is a lot different than 2008. JMHO

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Move to Florida and watch the Cards on Sunday Ticket.. ALOT CHEAPER

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all depends what you're looking for. I prefer the east valley myself. With the west valley, I'd have to be far west or far north to recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It all depends what you're looking for. I prefer the east valley myself. With the west valley, I'd have to be far west or far north to recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Yeah, the east valley has been preferable for the 70 years I have been here. But you are going to pay a premium to buy there. If your employment is there, it could be worth it. It all depends on where you work and how close you want to be to work. If you work from home, then anywhere and i believe anywhere north could be ideal for you.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
We've been trying to move there for years and years now. Thought we'd only be in Minnesota 2-5 years and it's going on 11 now. Still planning to get out there however...

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
It’s a big city, definitely consider your commute if you’ll have one.
Generally I would say the east side because otherwise driving both to and from work with the sun in your eyes sucks.
There’s some gem neighborhoods here, and also a lot of hoa run versions that can get petty.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Like other said, I'm a big fan for the east valley, Chandler, Gilbert, queen creek. Just newer communities and still close to everything.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Look at your job/industry needs, school needs and your own value set and criss reference it with a budget and go from there

The Phoenix area is massive and while widely homogenous, there are little differences and most people really won't know a ton about areas that aren't their own

It is rough right now with housing. A lot of demand on sales and the rental market is tightening - I recently read summer are starting to bid potential tenants to fund what true market rent is

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am going to be leaving Illinois too--7 years has been enough--between the winters, taxes and how poorly run the state is I can't take it any more. I won't be moving back to AZ, hoping for Florida.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that my youngest daughter has graduated and with my company embracing a remote work environment I am much more free to consider moving. Though my daughters will still be living here in PA for some time (and I should probably hang around because their mother will never provide them the stability I can) I've never really liked it here. I've always considered AZ my home and I've thought about moving back. Some reasons to: my company has an office there so that's nice and my parents are looking to move back there. I've also considered Florida, getting my possibly final destination started quicker.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I live in Flagstaff. Love it.

Currently spending two weeks in Florida. The past two days were miserable. Took the two grand kids to Legoland. 90° with 60-70%+ humidity.

But, when we were here in March (?), very nice.:D

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'm a real estate agent in the Valley. Inventory is very, very tight and unless you pay cash, waive all kinds of contingencies, you are facing an uphill battle. Desirable properties usually generate a bidding war and sell for over asking price.

Shoot me a PM is you need more info!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
It hard to say Chris. I own a home I rent out and I am getting $2600 a month and they are begging me not to increase the rent when the lease expires. The rent is more than what they could purchase it for. Not everyone is able to qualify, for what ever reason.

I am a Realtor and was around during the 2008 housing crash. There were many contributing factors back then like stated income and inflated appraisals. Now the buyers are fully qualified for the loans they are receiving. There is a lot of cash purchases and cash being put down to make up for the appraisal amount and the purchase amount. This means the buyers have a vested interest, unlike in 2008.

It is possible there will be a small market correction but with the low interest rates and the cash and industries moving into our state, the prices may stabilize but I wouldn't bank on a huge drop in prices. If the interest rates start going up as some predict many may be frozen out of the housing market.

Of course, no one knows for sure but it is a lot different than 2008. JMHO

THIS!

Cool! which brokerage are you with?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a real estate agent in the Valley. Inventory is very, very tight and unless you pay cash, waive all kinds of contingencies, you are facing an uphill battle. Desirable properties usually generate a bidding war and sell for over asking price.

Shoot me a PM is you need more info!

DeAnna, what is new construction like? Is there any chance it might help alleviate demand within the next year or so?

(I guess I also have rental properties in mind as well, like apartment complexes)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
DeAnna, what is new construction like? Is there any chance it might help alleviate demand within the next year or so?

(I guess I also have rental properties in mind as well, like apartment complexes)

New construction is just as competitive. With the lumber shortage, prices have escalated and most builders are doing lotteries just to get the lot. Outer fringes of the valley - not as much (ie, Queen Creek, Surprise, etc).

Lots of "institutional investors" are buying entire apt complex for their portfolios. There was an entire subdivision in Houston that was purchased by BlackRock (before it was even finished) just to rent them out.

Crazy ...

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
New construction is just as competitive. With the lumber shortage, prices have escalated and most builders are doing lotteries just to get the lot. Outer fringes of the valley - not as much (ie, Queen Creek, Surprise, etc).

Lots of "institutional investors" are buying entire apt complex for their portfolios. There was an entire subdivision in Houston that was purchased by BlackRock (before it was even finished) just to rent them out.

Crazy ...
We had a house built last year over here in the west valley (Verrado, Litchfield Park) our house had almost doubled and new construction is about a year and half out on some of the lots, it's crazy

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can I give you honest advice as someone who was born and raised in Tempe, and didnt leave until the age of 25. Don't move to Phoenix.

If you have to live in AZ...go central like Prescott or Northern like Flagstaff. Phoenix is a sweltering hell hole for 8 months out of the year. Just think...without AC, it would literally be uninhabitable.

I moved out of AZ completely and came up to Boise, Idaho. Best decision of my life. Im working on getting my parents and other family members to finally get out as well.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I give you honest advice as someone who was born and raised in Tempe, and didnt leave until the age of 25. Don't move to Phoenix.

If you have to live in AZ...go central like Prescott or Northern like Flagstaff. Phoenix is a sweltering hell hole for 8 months out of the year. Just think...without AC, it would literally be uninhabitable.

I moved out of AZ completely and came up to Boise, Idaho. Best decision of my life. Im working on getting my parents and other family members to finally get out as well.

What is Idaho like in the summer, and more importantly, the winter?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What is Idaho like in the summer, and more importantly, the winter?

You get 4 seasons...and I never understood what that meant until I got out of AZ....where you get Warm and Hot.

We are having a "heat wave" right now....and that means mid-high 90's for a couple weeks. No humidity, and it still cools down into the low 60's at night.

Winter- Dec-Feb... Not much snow...maybe a couple times a year. Cold, but you put on a jacket!

Spring - March -May...Absolutely beautiful. In the 70's through May! So much to do outdoors.

Summer - June-August - Hot, but not unbearable. High 90's...maybe crack 100 once or twice...but its not a giant concrete slab like Phoenix...so it actually cools down in the morning and at night.

Fall - Sept-Nov - Super fun time here. Lots of harvest stuff, cool crisp weather. You're wearing a jacket on Halloween, but in AZ your be sweating.

Honestly, I love it. I think back to HS football practice in Tempe...in 120 degrees...with navy blue helmets...and I honestly wonder how we didnt drop dead. When I go visit my mom in the summer, I have to buy a room AC from walmart just to sleep....In Boise, I open my windows and get fresh air.

I didn't think weather would be such a factor for me until I got out of AZ and realized how bad it is. If you can snowbird in AZ and be out by March...then great. If you are looking to live somewhere full time I think you will find that Phoenix is not what its made out to be.