OT Javon Kinlaw having an interesting OTA

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinlaw has been hurt much of his career. Good run defender not a pass rusher and like everyone said pre draft his knee and back medicals look scary. the 49ers have a beat writer named Grant Cohn, if it sounds familiar his dad Lowell Covered the team for decades with the Chronicle and other papers. Grant Cohn is VERY outspoken, Kinlaw is always hurt, should have picked Wirfs, can't pass rush, has the knees of an 800 year old etc. That's his shtick he takes legit points and then amplifies them, apparently lots of players on the team don't like him.

According to Cohn at OTA"s on Tuesday Kinlaw walked over to him staring him down and then stood next to him menacingly. When Cohn asked what was up, Kinlaw told him "you a bi**h" and a few other select phrases and told him the whole team hates him and he needs to get a new job. Cohn went on youtube and told the story and then at a later part of the OTA's Kinlaw apparently did the same thing including knocking his baseball hat off his head.

There's actually some talk if Kinlaw can't stay healthy in camp they could trade or cut him, I suspect they won't they'll give him one more chance to get healthy. But the Cohn thing is weird, he's VERY condescending to players apparently he's always been that way and several different 49ers over the years have hated the guy but seems like a 320 pound guy is probably not the guy to pick on.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They’ve been worse than us in drafting since their Bosa/Deebo class and it’s magnified by not having a 1st rd pick this year or next. Of course if Lance works out it’s all roses but they don’t sound confident in him.

It’s still odd they made that mega trade a month before the draft last year. They could’ve given up a lot less to move up during the draft or just get Mac where they were.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BritCard posted this in the New League year 2022-23 thread

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks it was on my FB feed so there wasn't really an article to link. That's not the same one but yes that's what he did.

If you can see Cohn is not exactly a big guy, not that most will look big next to Kinlaw the guy is huge.

It's bringing back memories of Jim Rome calling Jim Everett, Chrissy and then suddenly realizing how much bigger Everett is than Rome is, except Kinlaw is MUCH bigger

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Kinlaw has been hurt much of his career. Good run defender not a pass rusher and like everyone said pre draft his knee and back medicals look scary. the 49ers have a beat writer named Grant Cohn, if it sounds familiar his dad Lowell Covered the team for decades with the Chronicle and other papers. Grant Cohn is VERY outspoken, Kinlaw is always hurt, should have picked Wirfs, can't pass rush, has the knees of an 800 year old etc. That's his shtick he takes legit points and then amplifies them, apparently lots of players on the team don't like him.

According to Cohn at OTA"s on Tuesday Kinlaw walked over to him staring him down and then stood next to him menacingly. When Cohn asked what was up, Kinlaw told him "you a bi**h" and a few other select phrases and told him the whole team hates him and he needs to get a new job. Cohn went on youtube and told the story and then at a later part of the OTA's Kinlaw apparently did the same thing including knocking his baseball hat off his head.

There's actually some talk if Kinlaw can't stay healthy in camp they could trade or cut him, I suspect they won't they'll give him one more chance to get healthy. But the Cohn thing is weird, he's VERY condescending to players apparently he's always been that way and several different 49ers over the years have hated the guy but seems like a 320 pound guy is probably not the guy to pick on.
:bhiich: This is for the beat writer. Arizona needs a reporter with a sack that will give the team a chip on their shoulder. AZ media is so soft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
:bhiich: This is for the beat writer. Arizona needs a reporter with a sack that will give the team a chip on their shoulder. AZ media is so soft.
Naw that dude is a jerk. Doesn't deserve the treatment from Kinlaw, but you should watch what you say about players if you're going to be around them often.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Naw that dude is a jerk. Doesn't deserve the treatment from Kinlaw, but you should watch what you say about players if you're going to be around them often.
I see it like this, Grant Cohn comes across as a condescending smart arse. I do not remember why I once watched one of his videos, be it Cardinal related or just trying to find some info on the Niners, but he takes himself way too seriously as the end all of all things football and not just the Niners. By all means one should be allowed to say what they feel and think, but his manner of saying what he states as facts and not just a personal observation will certainly lend itself towards such an outcome, especially if you consider the character which is often required of those he comments on playing this brutal alpha male competitive sport. Cohn probably had this coming to him, whether Kinlaw is right or wrong. If you are going to make it your pastime poking tigers, then you might want to make sure not to get too close to the cage

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently his teammates are furious with him and it seems quite likely he'll be gone. If anybody will trade for him they'd probably do that otherwise he might get cut.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently his teammates are furious with him and it seems quite likely he'll be gone. If anybody will trade for him they'd probably do that otherwise he might get cut.
Are you talking about Kinlaw or Cohn?

The teammates are with Kinlaw. They have thrown a lot of shots at Cohn.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Kinlaw or Cohn?

The teammates are with Kinlaw. They have thrown a lot of shots at Cohn.

Both actually. Several of the more outspoken ones like kittle are standing up for Kinlaw, they don't like Cohn. But the claim is there's a group of players who are also mad at Kinlaw because they think he's immature and they were hoping this was the year he'd turn the corner and this indicates he hasn't.

It's a very weird situation but yes Cohn is not liked at all by the team apparently.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Us older folks from the Bay Area remember Cohn's dad, Lowell Cohn, who was a complete prick that literally NOBODY could stand. His idiot son merely follows in his footsteps. If you think Bickley is unpopular, Cohn would be 10x worse.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Kinslaw makes Cohn look like the victim whe he was the instigator. There is no good guy here. :)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

100% wrong pretty much all the 49er players came out in support of Kinlaw

Apparently this dude is super disrespectful. One thing a lot of sports fans forget is that before these guys are athletes they are grown Men. This ain’t bullying he picked the fight with Kinlaw.

I’ve seen some disgusting stuff said here over the years that wouldn’t be said to these guys faces. Listen you got the right to say whatever you want but if you get pressed about it I don’t wanna see you acting like a little girl talking bout ima sue you.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% wrong pretty much all the 49er players came out in support of Kinlaw

Apparently this dude is super disrespectful. One thing a lot of sports fans forget is that before these guys are athletes they are grown Men. This ain’t bullying he picked the fight with Kinlaw.

I’ve seen some disgusting stuff said here over the years that wouldn’t be said to these guys faces. Listen you got the right to say whatever you want but if you get pressed about it I don’t wanna see you acting like a little girl talking bout ima sue you.

Unless you have names I can only go on what I read which had about 5 current players that supported Kinlaw, Deebo, Kittle etc, and the claim that multiple players cited it as more proof Kinlaw is too immature to be relied on.

They clearly don't like Cohn though

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless you have names I can only go on what I read which had about 5 current players that supported Kinlaw, Deebo, Kittle etc, and the claim that multiple players cited it as more proof Kinlaw is too immature to be relied on.

They clearly don't like Cohn though

There have been plenty of names to come out support kinlaw

Who were the players that said he was immature for what he did

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been plenty of names to come out support kinlaw

Who were the players that said he was immature for what he did

They weren't named.

I live in the bay area it's been all over the news here

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They weren't named.

I live in the bay area it's been all over the news here

I work in Santa Clara and live in Santa Clara literally right down the street from the stadium

So pretty much all the stars on the team came out in support of Kinlaw and unnamed sources are mad at him

Right.