OT: I can walk again

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I had extensive back surgery 7 weeks ago and had a real rough time. The anesthesia shut down my bowels and I almost didn't make it. A 3 day stay in the hospital turned into 11 days and I'm still pretty much stuck here at home. I'm taking it day by day and trying to get better. Watching reruns of Law and Order are getting old, and I won't watch Cardinal game reruns because they are too depressing. Just hanging in there and trying to get better
What kind of surgery was it Mike? I’ve had three back surgeries and could give you a heads up on expectations… or at least my experiences.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the constipation that I wished I lacked. The pain killers really plug you up
They’re killer when you have to push especially right after a back injury.

Take a lot of Senna and citrucel. It will help loosen the stool and the constipation from the pain killer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Take a lot of Senna and citrucel. It will help loosen the stool and the constipation from the pain killer.
I don't know if Citrucel is the same as Miralax, but yeah, you need fiber, I found prunes helped, LOTS of water. TONS of Senna. I drank broth for meals, etc. I don't think you can put enough water in your colon.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I was wondering, I don't think he ever said.

He was in the UK at the time so I imagine he was riding an open top double decker bus around London while eating some fish and chips out of old newspaper when it started to rain. On standing up to move downstairs the wind blew the newspaper into his face causing him to trip and fall over the side.

Something like that.
I would have put money on having a couple pints, wanting to get to the destination because of the rain and then simply looking left when stepping into traffic ....... Not like that scenario almost had me dancing with one of those aforementioned buses........

Either way, great news on the continued recovery - attitude makes a huge impact and these milestone steps motivate

Congrats on your work

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You couldn't make up a story about hooking up with a Spice Girl or something??? Get well!
If he did, it would be like Kliff's offense. We can all see right through it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know this doesn't belong here, but amidst the negative talk, a huge positive: I got approved to walk today, three months to the day after breaking my pelvis. I have a pain management injection for my non-broken side coming up in two weeks, which is something that existed before the break, but I'm able to walk completely, and was able to walk up my stairs with no assistance.

I do have some physical therapy incoming, but I'm in really good shape down there for how intense of an injury it was, and how short-term it's been. Thanks to all of you who shared well-wishes in multiple threads down the line.
Fantastic news, congratulations!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know this doesn't belong here, but amidst the negative talk, a huge positive: I got approved to walk today, three months to the day after breaking my pelvis. I have a pain management injection for my non-broken side coming up in two weeks, which is something that existed before the break, but I'm able to walk completely, and was able to walk up my stairs with no assistance.

I do have some physical therapy incoming, but I'm in really good shape down there for how intense of an injury it was, and how short-term it's been. Thanks to all of you who shared well-wishes in multiple threads down the line.
Get well bro, do exactly as your doctor's tell you.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Great news.

Do what the PT guys tell you.
Get well bro, do exactly as your doctor's tell you.
I have to admit, I'm worried about PT (whenever I get the authority to start it from my insurance, not holding out hope for anytime soon). I've never been, and now the doctor is out of the equation. I'm worried they're going to demand some difficult lifestyle changes before being willing to help me, or continue to help.

I'm a frequent drinker, not much of a cook, and have gained some weight being unable to move. (Nothing wild, but I'm ~190, 6'0.) If they ask me to go completely sober, drop 20 lbs with a healthy homecooked diet, and work out intensely daily, I don't know if I'm going to be able to make that lifestyle change all that easily.

On top of all of this, I have this lingering nerve or sacroiliac pain that existed before the fracture that causes a ton of pain, and I'm about 10 days away from a pain injection for it. No matter how well my previously fractured right side functions, I can't do pain-free things on my left for a while.

Just venting though. I've had bad experiences with personal trainers and am probably projecting my worries about physical therapy onto that. I'm gonna try to give it my best.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm worried about PT (whenever I get the authority to start it from my insurance, not holding out hope for anytime soon). I've never been, and now the doctor is out of the equation. I'm worried they're going to demand some difficult lifestyle changes before being willing to help me, or continue to help.

I'm a frequent drinker, not much of a cook, and have gained some weight being unable to move. (Nothing wild, but I'm ~190, 6'0.) If they ask me to go completely sober, drop 20 lbs with a healthy homecooked diet, and work out intensely daily, I don't know if I'm going to be able to make that lifestyle change all that easily.

On top of all of this, I have this lingering nerve or sacroiliac pain that existed before the fracture that causes a ton of pain, and I'm about 10 days away from a pain injection for it. No matter how well my previously fractured right side functions, I can't do pain-free things on my left for a while.

Just venting though. I've had bad experiences with personal trainers and am probably projecting my worried about physical therapy onto that. I'm gonna try to give it my best.
Give it your best bro, that's all you can do. I only drink on Saturday nights & only if I'm not hungover on Sundays? Although being a Cardinals fan well, it'll drive you to drink lol. Stay off the greasy stuff, eat grilled chicken sandwiches if you choose fast food? Throw in some salads when you can. Make meals that are better for you & can be eaten on during the week multiple times. I make pot roasts in my instant pot, then with what's left over, I add corn & green beans plus a can of tomato soup for some amazing vegetable beef soup. Hopefully you have or can find someone to help you with all of this? Drink plenty of water & try to lay off sodas, drink tea, body armour or Gatorade. I don't have the best diet in the world but I've made changes & I've lost 27lbs since March. I do eat better now & that goes a long way towards feeling better. Hang in there man, it'll get better.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Just venting though. I've had bad experiences with personal trainers and am probably projecting my worries about physical therapy onto that. I'm gonna try to give it my best.
You can do it! I had a heart attack at the very end of March, March 26, 2022. I changed everything and I am down 60 pounds from 232 on my heart attack day. That's after taking a cruise this year. You have to change your mind and just go for it.

Last edited:

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It's pretty bad when it takes 30 minutes to pass what you think is a school bus and it turns out to be a milk dud

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a dumb accident. My buddy has a boxing/kickboxing bag in his garage, and after a few drinks we were kicking it around. I went for a high kick, slipped, and since I had some left leg pain going on, made the decision in mid-air to protect it and landed all of my weight onto his concrete floor on my right hip. The femoral head of my femur jammed right into the socket and cracked it all over. Just bad luck.

So, the NHS did give me a bill. It's reasonable all things considered, in the US it would be a huge problem. But the insurance thing is murky and still something I'm working through. See, when I called my insurance from the hospital in the UK, they said they'd cover it as an out-of-network hospital stay since emergency services picked me up, and I was admitted through their A&E (British emergency room) for the stay in a trauma ward.

However, the complications are: the British hospital has not provided me an itemized list of what was done, which my American insurance wants. I just have a generic bill for a flat amount. Trying to get my insurance to communicate with the hospital is a pain not only because insurance sucks, but also because of the time difference, and the crazy fact that the UK hospital is blocked from calling out to international numbers. So they can't call me for any followups. Or call my insurance. Or anything. :bang:

What a cluster.

Might be worth your while to pay for a Skype number (or other VOIP service) and get a UK phone number they can dial that comes through to your cell.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Solar, way to stay at it man. I know it was hard on you. This is a testament to your resilience and toughness. Here's hoping our boys can learn a thing or two from you brotha!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose