OT: I can walk again

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know this doesn't belong here, but amidst the negative talk, a huge positive: I got approved to walk today, three months to the day after breaking my pelvis. I have a pain management injection for my non-broken side coming up in two weeks, which is something that existed before the break, but I'm able to walk completely, and was able to walk up my stairs with no assistance.

I do have some physical therapy incoming, but I'm in really good shape down there for how intense of an injury it was, and how short-term it's been. Thanks to all of you who shared well-wishes in multiple threads down the line.
Happy for you, congratulations.

ap11

Rookie
Reaction score
So happy to hear this solar! Hope you are on the mend my friend! Rooting big time for you!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn't belong here, but amidst the negative talk, a huge positive: I got approved to walk today, three months to the day after breaking my pelvis. I have a pain management injection for my non-broken side coming up in two weeks, which is something that existed before the break, but I'm able to walk completely, and was able to walk up my stairs with no assistance.

I do have some physical therapy incoming, but I'm in really good shape down there for how intense of an injury it was, and how short-term it's been. Thanks to all of you who shared well-wishes in multiple threads down the line.
How'd you break your pelvis anyway?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was wondering, I don't think he ever said.

He was in the UK at the time so I imagine he was riding an open top double decker bus around London while eating some fish and chips out of old newspaper when it started to rain. On standing up to move downstairs the wind blew the newspaper into his face causing him to trip and fall over the side.

Something like that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, I don't think he ever said.

He was in the UK at the time so I imagine he was riding an open top double decker bus around London while eating some fish and chips out of old newspaper when it started to rain. On standing up to move downstairs the wind blew the newspaper into his face causing him to trip and fall over the side.

Something like that.
That's funny.

I do wonder what the health insurance situation was like. Does the insurance company pay HMS for the services? Did Solar have to pay out of pocket?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's funny.

I do wonder what the health insurance situation was like. Does the insurance company pay HMS for the services? Did Solar have to pay out of pocket?

Healthcare is free here. We do charge for non citizens but not normally for emergency care.

We do get free riders flying over for expensive operations and we do bill them but they usually just **** off without paying.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Healthcare is free here. We do charge for non citizens but not normally for emergency care.

We do get free riders flying over for expensive operations and we do bill them but they usually just **** off without paying.
Interesting. One of the many ways the UK is more evolved than us Yanks...

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Just a dumb accident. My buddy has a boxing/kickboxing bag in his garage, and after a few drinks we were kicking it around. I went for a high kick, slipped, and since I had some left leg pain going on, made the decision in mid-air to protect it and landed all of my weight onto his concrete floor on my right hip. The femoral head of my femur jammed right into the socket and cracked it all over. Just bad luck.

That's funny.

So, the NHS did give me a bill. It's reasonable all things considered, in the US it would be a huge problem. But the insurance thing is murky and still something I'm working through. See, when I called my insurance from the hospital in the UK, they said they'd cover it as an out-of-network hospital stay since emergency services picked me up, and I was admitted through their A&E (British emergency room) for the stay in a trauma ward.

However, the complications are: the British hospital has not provided me an itemized list of what was done, which my American insurance wants. I just have a generic bill for a flat amount. Trying to get my insurance to communicate with the hospital is a pain not only because insurance sucks, but also because of the time difference, and the crazy fact that the UK hospital is blocked from calling out to international numbers. So they can't call me for any followups. Or call my insurance. Or anything. :bang:

What a cluster.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a dumb accident. My buddy has a boxing/kickboxing bag in his garage, and after a few drinks we were kicking it around. I went for a high kick, slipped, and since I had some left leg pain going on, made the decision in mid-air to protect it and landed all of my weight onto his concrete floor on my right hip. The femoral head of my femur jammed right into the socket and cracked it all over. Just bad luck.

So, the NHS did give me a bill. It's reasonable all things considered, in the US it would be a huge problem. But the insurance thing is murky and still something I'm working through. See, when I called my insurance from the hospital in the UK, they said they'd cover it as an out-of-network hospital stay since emergency services picked me up, and I was admitted through their A&E (British emergency room) for the stay in a trauma ward.

However, the complications are: the British hospital has not provided me an itemized list of what was done, which my American insurance wants. I just have a generic bill for a flat amount. Trying to get my insurance to communicate with the hospital is a pain not only because insurance sucks, but also because of the time difference, and the crazy fact that the UK hospital is blocked from calling out to international numbers. So they can't call me for any followups. Or call my insurance. Or anything. :bang:

What a cluster.
Very interesting. I'm glad you are on the mend for sure!

Especially post pandemic, I'm surprised they won't do some work via Zoom/Teams etc.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I feel your pain. I had extensive back surgery 7 weeks ago and had a real rough time. The anesthesia shut down my bowels and I almost didn't make it. A 3 day stay in the hospital turned into 11 days and I'm still pretty much stuck here at home. I'm taking it day by day and trying to get better. Watching reruns of Law and Order are getting old, and I won't watch Cardinal game reruns because they are too depressing. Just hanging in there and trying to get better

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I had extensive back surgery 7 weeks ago and had a real rough time. The anesthesia shut down my bowels and I almost didn't make it. A 3 day stay in the hospital turned into 11 days and I'm still pretty much stuck here at home. I'm taking it day by day and trying to get better. Watching reruns of Law and Order are getting old, and I won't watch Cardinal game reruns because they are too depressing. Just hanging in there and trying to get better
Best of luck to a speedy recovery man! That's intense.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good luck man - you're going through a tough time, so give yourself some grace. You'll be on the path to recovery soon!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What a cluster.
Damn man, too much Cobra Kai!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Another reminder - drinking and physical challenges - ALWAYS A BAD IDEA!!! (speaking as one who almost severely turned his ankle under the influence)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through and re-watched all 20 seasons of the original L&O. Good stuff.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Another reminder - drinking and physical challenges - ALWAYS A BAD IDEA!!! (speaking as one who almost severely turned his ankle under the influence)
I don't really blame the drinking on this one, I blame trying to do it in boots on an already injured leg, haha. Would have happened sober (and yes, it's the kind of decision I would have made sober).

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I will put money on you being in better condition day by day, sooner than later, than a majority of Cardinal players which seem to lack your constitution
It's the constipation that I wished I lacked. The pain killers really plug you up

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You couldn't make up a story about hooking up with a Spice Girl or something??? Get well!