OT-Clarke stakes Grizzlies to summer league crown

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by itlnsunsfan, Jul 16, 2019.

1. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

The primary goal in basketball is to score more than your opponent. Considering the fact that the rules favor offensive players I would think the premium would be on players that can play good defense without getting called for a ton of fouls as that is harder to find. Ultimately you need to have some balance between offense and defense and can't afford to be bad at either one.

2. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

For what it's worth, Clarke hit 3 of the 4 3pt shots he attempted in summer league.

3. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Not worth much.

I'm tired of the Suns drafting guys that arent proven shooters. That's why I had 0 interest in Clarke, no range.

I think it's much more likely that a good college shooter continues to shoot well in the NBA than a bad shooter becoming good.

Josh Jackson was known to not be a good shooter. Chriss was known to be a poor shooter. Dragan Bender wasn't a proven shooter.

4. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Ibaka.

5. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

And hes getting old as dirt.

Not many other guys that offer 3 point, rim protection, and rebounding.

You hope for two of the three most of the time.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  6. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

Nickeil Alexander-Walker was the best player in SL.

I did like him very much prior the draft, and although a good performance in SL is far from guarantying anything, I still wish the Suns would have drafted him.

7. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I liked a few guys that looked to be available for us but my hope was that we would trade down for 2 picks that would allow us to take Alexander along with someone like Claxton or PJ Washington or Clarke. I would have also been happy with Culver early or Hayes in a trade down but preferred the idea of trading for 2 players in the teens (by moving the 6 and the 32).

8. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I will say that true to form, my man crush on Clarke was analytics driven.

By most models he was the player with the highest floor after Zion. After so many busts I wanted that high floor long term NBA player

Analytics are not kind to Cam, which sucks because he is such a nice kid

9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

I'd add to that that you want players who can defend at the NBA level also. Too many players come into the league with defensive potential and having won defensive honors in college but end up being terrible defenders at the NBA level. However a stretch 4 in college should be capable of being a stretch 4 in the NBA. Baskets are always 10 feet tall and even though the 3pt line is a little farther back, players can shoot or they can't.

So if you're looking to add a young player then it should be easier to find a stretch 4 than it is a defensive PF. Stretch 4's or stretch bigs can even be made out of players with size that have struggled in other roles. Look at Channing Frye as a perfect example of that. There are plenty of other bigs who added 3pt shooting later in their career after struggling trying to find a role in the league like Dedmon or Alex Len types. Adding a 3pt shot can be easier for them than adding defensive instinct. Either they can defend at the NBA level or they can't. It can't really be taught. They might have done well in high school or college because they were superior athletes and that allowed them to outshine their opponents but they lose that advantage at the NBA level.

10. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

summer league mvp means nothing

Ray Spalding literally destroyed Clarke on multiple posessions.

Hardly surprising to see that a 23 year old in summer league who is athletic and plays hard is very effective.

We will see how this holds up when he has to go up against bigger, stronger more athletic NBA talent consistently.

11. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

I doubt New Orleans cares

Nickeil Alexander-Walker looked like the best rookie.

I think we should have picked Tyler Herro at #11 for sure.

12. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Can anyone name the summer league MVP from last year or the year before, without looking it up? How about what team won the summer league title? That's how much stock should be put in the SL accolades.

Some guys should dominate and seeing them do so reinforces why they were picked where they were or gives fans hope of what they'll bring that season but other than catching a few glimpses of what they might become it's mostly looking for guys to fill out the end of the bench and two-way players. The Suns were too young for too long and never did a damn thing in SL. It's kind of sad had bad they were despite having 4 for 5 rotation players on their SL teams. That should have told us all we needed to know about how the season would play out though. If they couldn't dominate SL play then they'd struggle mightily against NBA talent.

13. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

Here are some examples of guys that were either much better or much worse in SL than they have been in the NBA.

Sometimes guys that will be great in the NBA under perform there and sometimes guys that will be nothing special in the NBA will look amazing there. Just have to take it all with a grain of salt.