OT: Chargers Chiefs Thursday Night

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Please football gods let Rondale Moore develop into the football player Hill is.
First of all the HC has to call a pass play to him past the LOS & anything past 10 yards of the sticks :)

Just sayin lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Analytics driving too many decisions instead of old fashioned common sense

This.

Plus, I can understand maybe going for it the 1st time. The 2nd time is tough, but debatable. The 3rd and 4th time is just lunacy.

The fact is, had Chargers just kicked their FG's they win that game.

I feel like there is an element of "suck cost fallacy" creeping into the decision making. It feels like some coaches, Kliff included, feel like because they spent 6 minutes and 12 plays driving down field they HAVE to take 7 points for that effort. 3 just isn't enough for the work they put in. Without factoring in that 3 is much better than the 0 you likely come away with.

I wonder if this is a young coach thing? Kliff, McVay, Staley, Shanny etc seem like the guys I see this from the most. I feel like we don't see as much of it from the old guard in neutral situations.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I also find it truly amazing how often so many of the KC and Chargers players are wide open. I feel there is very limited amount of times where our play calling results in that much separation of the defense.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with 4th down analytics is that it doesn't take into account when your Oline is getting dominated and pushed back every play. Sometimes you have to read the room.
Yep. Agree 100%. Which means that against top notch defensive teams, our OL would almost always be getting pushed backwards.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I looked up Brandon Staley on Wiki and was amazed to find out who his defensive coordinator is. None other than Renaldo Hill, former Cardinal in 2001-04. :eek2:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The problem with 4th down analytics is that it doesn't take into account when your Oline is getting dominated and pushed back every play. Sometimes you have to read the room.
This can’t be understated. Same with prior success by a team/coach. If you’re racking up successes against the dregs of the league using that as an indicator of future success against good defenses is just stupid.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This.

Plus, I can understand maybe going for it the 1st time. The 2nd time is tough, but debatable. The 3rd and 4th time is just lunacy.

The fact is, had Chargers just kicked their FG's they win that game.

I feel like there is an element of "suck cost fallacy" creeping into the decision making. It feels like some coaches, Kliff included, feel like because they spent 6 minutes and 12 plays driving down field they HAVE to take 7 points for that effort. 3 just isn't enough for the work they put in. Without factoring in that 3 is much better than the 0 you likely come away with.

I wonder if this is a young coach thing? Kliff, McVay, Staley, Shanny etc seem like the guys I see this from the most. I feel like we don't see as much of it from the old guard in neutral situations.

The first one was a 4th and Goal from the 5. That can’t be a high percentage of getting that.

The last two were infuriating for anyone with the Chargers kicker for fantasy... like me.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I also find it truly amazing how often so many of the KC and Chargers players are wide open. I feel there is very limited amount of times where our play calling results in that much separation of the defense.
Or we do but Murray just did not go there, either chose not to or simply did not see.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or we do but Murray just did not go there, either chose not to or simply did not see.

I'm sure that does happen but if you watched last night there's so many plays like that. The TD pass Mahomes rocketed in to Tyreek Hill, Edwards Helaire is competely uncovered in the right flight he could have walked in. There's another one where Mahomes scrambles all over the place and then hits Edwards helaire for a TD, then Aikman says I'm surprised he didn't just throw to hardman right away, we see the replay Hardman wide open right side for a TD if ball is thrown.

I think guys like Brady and Rodgers are very much the exception not the rule even great NFL QB's like Mahomes are usually going to look for the primary read first and often miss seeing guys who are open

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
So true, and another thing to consider is risk versus the reward. KK going for it in the first quarter in your own territory, even if you get it you still are not guaranteed points.

The percentages in the red zone are what they are but game flow and how valuable points are during the game have to be considered as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Chargers went for it on 4th down, got it, and then fumbled at the goal line. Herbert also hit the WR in the hands on 4th down in the EZ. That’s like blaming Kliff for DHop’s drop. Coaches coach and players execute.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn