OT: Brian Flores Suing NFL Alleging Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals could solve a lot of problems by naming Flores as HC.
Essentially the same record as KK with that substandard Fins roster. Yes, he would certainly be an improvement.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Imagine believing that NFL owners care about anything other than revenue and winning, both are not related to genetics.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine believing that NFL owners care about anything other than revenue and winning, both are not related to genetics.
That is true, but just owners/GM's/Coaches used to believe that blacks were incapable of playing QB at a high level, judgement among owners can still lead them to rejecting a more qualified minority in favor of a white guy they feel more comfortable around.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, they almost all care about revenue much more than winning.
Winning increases your brand name and the fidelity of your business . What’s a bigger brand due to chronic winning? Steelers or the Bengals? Which team had generated more revenue due to brand/winning? You can make this comparison with any big market team that has rings ….

Last edited:

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That is true, but just owners/GM's/Coaches used to believe that blacks were incapable of playing QB at a high level, judgement among owners can still lead them to rejecting a more qualified minority in favor of a white guy they feel more comfortable around.
Then that’s just a bad business decision . If the owners were really that racist , they would petition for all white players lol, what is the difference between what Flores is doing and if Christian McCaffrey sued the league for low representation of white players ?

Think money…

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then that’s just a bad business decision . If the owners were really that racist , they would petition for all white players lol, what is the difference between what Flores is doing and if Christian McCaffrey sued the league for low representation of white players ?

Think money…
You are missing the point. An owner may THINK the white guy is better because he is more comfortable around him and can relate better to him (like Michael Bidwill seems to relate/like SK). When in fact, a minority coach may be the better choice. I've seen it happen in jobs were the owner/manager takes a dislike to an employee that was "too ethnic" and made them uncomfortable even though they did their job very well.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I give props for the Texans hiring a black head coach, but why a retread like Lovie Smith? He has proven he is not a good head coach. If the Cardinals had hired Smith, I would believe many of the fans on this sight would be upset. The Texans should of hired Jim Caldwell. He has proven he can win.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You are missing the point. An owner may THINK the white guy is better because he is more comfortable around him and can relate better to him (like Michael Bidwill seems to relate/like SK). When in fact, a minority coach may be the better choice. I've seen it happen in jobs were the owner/manager takes a dislike to an employee that was "too ethnic" and made them uncomfortable even though they did their job very well.
Like I said that’s bad for business . If a business is to be well ran, ethnicity should not be a facet of selecting the most qualified employee. NFL businesses seem to be well ran due to the gross amount of money the NFL, owners , and players make. Flores is making a lot of assumptions and accusations that are flimsy at best. Not Only that, but Flores likely will make more money than everyone in this group combined , I fail to see the victim hood with millionaires while right now the middle class is struggling in a terrible economy , sorry.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I give props for the Texans hiring a black head coach, but why a retread like Lovie Smith? He has proven he is not a good head coach. If the Cardinals had hired Smith, I would believe many of the fans on this sight would be upset. The Texans should of hired Jim Caldwell. He has proven he can win.
As opposed to a retread like Eric Mangini, Adam Gase, or Josh McDaniels? I agree, I wouldn't have been thrilled with Lovie had he been our choice, but at least he gets another chance. Something fired black head coaches rarely get.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like I said that’s bad for business . If a business is to be well ran, ethnicity should not be a facet of selecting the most qualified employee. NFL businesses seem to be well ran due to the gross amount of money the NFL, owners , and players make. Flores is making a lot of assumptions and accusations that are flimsy at best. Not Only that, but Flores likely will make more money than everyone in this group combined , I fail to see the victim hood with millionaires while right now the middle class is struggling in a terrible economy , sorry.
Lol this post is all over the place and really exhibits a poor understanding of how underlying racism and systemic racism operate. Many successful businesses have been run with racist policies. Many decision makers are guilty of unrecognized racial bias.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Dolphins hire Mike McDaniel from the 49ers, the media says see another white guy, and then they all run to retract or correct the story when they find out the "white guy" is actually bi racial.

Apparently black father white mother although not 100% sure.

I just hope it weakens the 49ers.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol this post is all over the place and really exhibits a poor understanding of how underlying racism and systemic racism operate. Many successful businesses have been run with racist policies. Many decision makers are guilty of unrecognized racial bias.
Systemic racism has produced more Minority millionaires than any other country in the world . Systemic racism is not multi millionaires who live a better life than you do lol, get a grip on reality. These “racist policies” you talk about make minorities millionaires for touching a pig skin, putting a ball through a hoop etc .

These dudes bathe in purified water RO systems and we are here talking about “systemic racism”. Yeah, used to exist a lot more a long time ago, now it’s used to perpetuate a victim mentality.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Systemic racism has produced more Minority millionaires than any other country in the world . Systemic racism is not multi millionaires who live a better life than you do lol, get a grip on reality. These “racist policies” you talk about make minorities millionaires for touching a pig skin, putting a ball through a hoop etc .

These dudes bathe in purified water RO systems and we are here talking about “systemic racism”. Yeah, used to exist a lot more a long time ago, now it’s used to perpetuate a victim mentality.
I suppose you would be okay with old time comics having to make fools of themselves to work in the movies because they were relatively well paid. Compensation does not mean equality, dignity or equal opportunity, which every American deserves to have. We are a country where it should be possible to have a fair playing field when it comes to pursuing your dreams. Everyone should have a fair chance to coach based on their skills, not their racial heritage. Players make the big money because fans are willing to pay huge money to see the players who are best at that task. That’s not the reality of the criteria being used to choose coaches.

As to Lovie Smith, I think he was chosen to help against the suit and clearly not because he was the black candidate who had the best chance to build a winner. He’ll likely contribute to a better draft pick, much like the reason Flores was initially chosen. Lovie is a great guy but mostly failed in the NFL and at U of I. Glad to see him get a job. Also glad I’m not a Texas fan.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I suppose you would be okay with old time comics having to make fools of themselves to work in the movies because they were relatively well paid. Compensation does not mean equality, dignity or equal opportunity, which every American deserves to have. We are a country where it should be possible to have a fair playing field when it comes to pursuing your dreams. Everyone should have a fair chance to coach based on their skills, not their racial heritage. Players make the big money because fans are willing to pay huge money to see the players who are best at that task. That’s not the reality of the criteria being used to choose coaches.

As to Lovie Smith, I think he was chosen to help against the suit and clearly not because he was the black candidate who had the best chance to build a winner. He’ll likely contribute to a better draft pick, much like the reason Flores was initially chosen. Lovie is a great guy but mostly failed in the NFL and at U of I. Glad to see him get a job. Also glad I’m not a Texas fan.
Flores is considerably better than Lovie Smith.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You don’t seem to understand that black players making lots of money doesn’t equate to black folks getting head coaching slots, you know the higher reaches of an organization?

That’s like saying just because we pay the black assembly line workers well means it doesn’t matter that we don’t allow black folks to become management.

Just think about that for maybe a second.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You don’t seem to understand that black players making lots of money doesn’t equate to black folks getting head coaching slots, you know the higher reaches of an organization?

That’s like saying just because we pay the black assembly line workers well means it doesn’t matter that we don’t allow black folks to become management.

Also, the benefits that the players are accruing are largely due to collective bargaining from the NFLPA. NFL Coaches are not unionized.

I'm sure Broseph would be very supportive of a NFL Coaches union.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

:thumbup:Funny how sports, and millionaire athletes was somehow used by the OP as an example to discredit systemic racism. No mention of the average workplace, housing development, or government infrastructure. But hey, I guess if it doesn't affect a person directly it must not exist.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
and many NFL owners believe that you have to be part of the Good Ol’ Boy network for those two things

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Think money…
Comparing McCaffrey's situation to a race that has been persecuted for 100's of years means you don't understand the discussion. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn