OT: Baker Mayfield

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I mentioned yesterday that he's showing what good coaching can do for a player. IMO, the Rams would be wise to offer him a 3 year deal, with the 3rd year being for cap reasons. It gives them a chance to figure out Stafford's future, allows Baker to continue to rehab is image...and allows the Rams time to recoup/reload draft picks. In 2 years, if they want to move on from Baker and start over with a rookie QB, they will be in a better place to do so.

Now, what I wrote above could also apply for the Cardinals. If the team blows up the GM and Coach, as we expect/hope, I think bringing Baker in on a 2 year deal (really a 1 year prove it, with the 2nd year being for cap reasons) would make sense. It allows Kyler to rehab with less pressure to come back too early...Let's Baker show he can still be good (this only happens with a new, good coach)...gives Cards a chance to reset the cap...and gives McCoy a chance to stay the backup and extend his career a little longer (where he really should be).

Note: No matter how well Baker plays the next 2 games, I don't think any team outside of the Rams will be willing to give him a real multi-year deal.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I mentioned yesterday that he's showing what good coaching can do for a player. IMO, the Rams would be wise to offer him a 3 year deal, with the 3rd year being for cap reasons. It gives them a chance to figure out Stafford's future, allows Baker to continue to rehab is image...and allows the Rams time to recoup/reload draft picks. In 2 years, if they want to move on from Baker and start over with a rookie QB, they will be in a better place to do so.

Now, what I wrote above could also apply for the Cardinals. If the team blows up the GM and Coach, as we expect/hope, I think bringing Baker in on a 2 year deal (really a 1 year prove it, with the 2nd year being for cap reasons) would make sense. It allows Kyler to rehab with less pressure to come back too early...Let's Baker show he can still be good (this only happens with a new, good coach)...gives Cards a chance to reset the cap...and gives McCoy a chance to stay the backup and extend his career a little longer (where he really should be).

Note: No matter how well Baker plays the next 2 games, I don't think any team outside of the Rams will be willing to give him a real multi-year deal.
I’ll agree the coach makes a big difference and I think Mayfield might be salvageable. However, Murray will be the QB here whenever he’s ready to play.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In his brief tenure with the Rams, Mayfield has shown that he is a competent quarterback if the coaching staff will get out of the way.

He is not going to get paid, but he should land where he can compete for the starting job on an incentive laden contract.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stafford is highly paid until after 2026.

Mayfield will feel he's shown he can start.

I don't see the marriage potential.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Stafford is highly paid until after 2026.

Mayfield will feel he's shown he can start.

I don't see the marriage potential.
Stafford may have to take a medical buyout if his shoulder doesnt heal.
That limits the rams liability but still hits their cap for a year of dead money. A short term deal for a moderate price could benefit both parties.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave