Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So sad. Their best player will be charged w/vehicular homicide

You must be registered for see images

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/031006/483/ny15010061915

The wreckage of a sports car driven by Atlanta Thrashers star Dany Heatley sits partially on the sidewalk after a crash in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood Monday night Sept. 29, 2003, in this image from television. Heatley will face more serious charges after the death of passenger teammate Dan Snyder, who never regained consciousness following the horrific car crash. Snyder died Sunday, Oct. 5, 2003 at Grady Hospital, the team said, six days after sustaining massive brain injuries in the wreck. He was 25.(AP Photo/WSB-TV, Luis Argumedes)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1006/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_thrashers_snyder_dies

Thrashers Player Dies 6 Days After Wreck
53 minutes ago

By KEITH PARSONS, AP Sports Writer

DULUTH, Ga. - Atlanta Thrashers All-Star Dany Heatley was charged with vehicular homicide Monday, a day after the death of teammate Dan Snyder, who was fatally injured when Heatley's sports car ran off a road.

A spokesman for the district attorney's office, Erik Friedly, said the charge was based on a preliminary finding that Heatley was driving recklessly. It carries a prison sentence of three to 15 years.

Snyder died at a hospital Sunday night, six days after sustaining severe brain injuries in the wreck. He was 25.

"The news of his passing fills all of us with an overwhelming sense of sorrow," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said.

Atlanta general manager Don Waddell said team officials held internal discussions about possibly delaying Thursday night's season opener, but the Snyder family persuaded them to play.

"When I talked to the Snyder family, they really expressed their concern for the team and how we move forward," Waddell said at a news conference at the team's headquarters in suburban Atlanta. "They really felt the team needed to play."

The Thrashers weren't scheduled to practice again until Tuesday morning. They open the season against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Heatley had already been charged with serious injury by vehicle, but that charge was dropped after the vehicular homicide count was filed. He still faces four misdemeanor counts, each of which are punishable by up to a year in prison. He is free on $50,000 bond.

One of Heatley's attorneys, Ed Garland, didn't return several messages left at his office.

"We are overwhelmingly saddened and distraught over this tragic loss," the Heatley family said in a statement released by the Thrashers. "Dan was a genuine and caring individual, and a tremendous friend to us all.

"Our deepest sympathies and compassion go out to his parents and their entire family."

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 80 mph on a narrow two-lane road Sept. 29 when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence.

Snyder, who was a passenger in the car, underwent surgery for a skull fracture but remained in a coma until his death. He was thought to be improving, though.

"We all were hoping for the best result," Waddell said. "We thought he was making good progress. He was battling, the same way he did on the ice."

Heatley's case has yet to be presented to a grand jury, which would decide on the formal charges, Friedly said. Prosecutors are waiting for more evidence before taking their case to the grand jury.

Police were also awaiting test results to determine if Heatley was drinking on the night of the wreck. There is "no conclusive indication" that Heatley was drinking, Friedly said.

Heatley and Snyder had been at an event for season ticket-holders at Philips Arena shortly before the crash.

Snyder, a center who had 10 goals and four assists in 36 games for Atlanta last season, had surgery on his ankle in September before the start of training camp. He was expected to start the season on the injured list.

"He finally arrives and the team says, 'Go ahead and get a place, you're here, you've made the team,'" his agent, Todd Reynolds, told The Canadian Press. "During the offseason they referred to him as 'one of our core guys.'

"They saw him filling that third- or fourth-line center role on the club. It's just so sad."

Snyder signed with the Thrashers as an undrafted free agent in 1999 after playing four seasons of junior hockey for Owen Sound in the Ontario Hockey League.

"How many undrafted guys make it to the NHL? Not many," Waddell said. "He had to work his way into the lineup to play in the minor leagues. The second half of last year, he really proved he was ready to be an NHL player."

Heatley, the 22-year-old leader of the team, also was injured in the crash.

He underwent surgery Saturday for a broken jaw and an MRI found two torn ligaments in his right knee. He will undergo knee surgery in about a week, certainly threatening any return to the ice this season.

He remained hospitalized Monday, Waddell said.

Last season, Heatley scored a team-record 41 goals and was MVP of the All-Star game.

The funeral for Snyder will be held Friday in Elmira, Ontario, and Waddell said the entire team would attend.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP

You must be registered for see images

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just terrible. I watched these guys play when I was in Atlanta. (Always try to take in some sort of sporting event when I'm outta town.) It was one of the higlights of my trip. Great stadium. Great game. A lot of fun.

I'm sure Heatley feels terrible about this. No one ever thinks speeding will result in something so horrible. My prayers go out to Snyder's family, Heatley and the whole Thrashers organization.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Heatly being their best player should be the saddest part here. I think the other guy dieing is the most sad. Got to put things in perspective.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I kinda feel bad for heatley. Hasnt he gone through enough losin his bf? I hope he dosent get hit too hard. Very sad thing. Im curious as to what the NHL will do opening night. I hope every single game has a moment of silence.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCardfan
I don't think Heatly being their best player should be the saddest part here. I think the other guy dieing is the most sad. Got to put things in perspective.

I meant the whole situation is sad, not just that a team has a good player in trouble. But I can see how that can be taken by the way I wrote that.

Indeed the death was the saddest part of the story. :cry:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
I kinda feel bad for heatley. Hasnt he gone through enough losin his bf? I hope he dosent get hit too hard. Very sad thing. Im curious as to what the NHL will do opening night. I hope every single game has a moment of silence.

So just because he feels bad he should walk and not be held accountable for his actions?
He deserves many years in jail - he should have realized the consequences BEFORE he got drunk, and sped 80+ miles an hour in on a crowded street. He gets ZERO sympathy from me.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
So just because he feels bad he should walk and not be held accountable for his actions?
He deserves many years in jail - he should have realized the consequences BEFORE he got drunk, and sped 80+ miles an hour in on a crowded street. He gets ZERO sympathy from me.

Got Drunk!!! Where the hell did you get that?