OT: Arizona Sports expands, will be simulcast on 98.7FM and 620AM

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT: Arizona Sports expands, will be simulcast on 98.7FM and 620AM

http://arizonasports.com/98/1689736/Arizona-Sports-expands-will-be-simulcast-on-987FM-and-620AM

Monday marks a first for the state of Arizona. Sports fans are now able to hear sports talk on FM -- specifically 98.7 FM.

In a significant move to expand its audience reach and community impact, Arizona Sports 620 (KTAR-AM) began simulcasting on 98.7 FM at 10 a.m., strengthening its multi-platform distribution.

Now the lineup of Doug and Wolf (6-10 a.m.), Colin Cowherd (10 a.m.-noon), Dan Bickley with Vince Marotta (noon-2 p.m.) and Burns and Gambo (2-6 p.m.) can be heard on 98.7 FM, as well as on 620 AM.

"Putting Arizona Sports on FM is an opportunity too big to ignore," Scott Sutherland, vice president and market manager for station owner Bonneville Phoenix said. "Our live, local and exclusive sports content has never been better. We have world-class local talk personalities who deliver powerful opinions and insights that engage and entertain. We also have amazing team partners. And all of this attracts a passionate and loyal audience, which in turn, attracts a lot of marketing interest from small and medium business owners, major brands and C-Suite decision makers."

Arizona Sports is the flagship broadcaster of the Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, Phoenix Coyotes, Phoenix Suns and Arizona State football and basketball. Games of those teams will be heard on both stations, too.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn. I liked 98.7 The Peak. They never repeated songs in the same day.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good info, thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has to be viewed as a cost cutting move by Bonneville. I don't see the sports format getting anywhere close to the ratings numbers that the Peak got but the cost savings of simulcasting will more than make up for it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are they really going to net more listeners. If you like sports talk radio, you know how to work a radio and most have AM dials.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What exactly do they mean by "simulcasting"? It implies the same content, but on two stations. Hopefully it means Coyote games will be aired on a powerful station and not one that doesn't come through very well when there is a conflict with the Suns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What exactly do they mean by "simulcasting"? It implies the same content, but on two stations. Hopefully it means Coyote games will be aired on a powerful station and not one that doesn't come through very well when there is a conflict with the Suns.

They'll be airing the same content on both stations. Two stations for the price of one. They haven't mentioned anything I have seen about airing the Suns on 98.7 and the Coyotes on 620 when their is a conflict. That would be much better than the wasteland that is 860 where the Coyotes now air.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
They'll be airing the same content on both stations. Two stations for the price of one. They haven't mentioned anything I have seen about airing the Suns on 98.7 and the Coyotes on 620 when their is a conflict. That would be much better than the wasteland that is 860 where the Coyotes now air.

Yeah, 860 only works if you are driving in the right direction and not too close to any buildings. Seems like putting games on separate stations would be a huge upgrade. :(

Maybe this helps because some phones/devices have FM receptors, but not AM?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The press release stated that 620 and 98.7 will play the same games. I bet this move is part of a transition to the FM airwaves and that 620 will be phased out eventually.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In the meantime eleven to twelve people lost their jobs as a result!

All hail corporate greed!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Am I the only one who remembers when 98.7 was

(jingle)
Kaaaay-Lite, ninety-eight point seven eff emmmmmmm!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

(jingle)

That was the radio station my dentist played. Apparently, his little tray of tools didn't have enough implements of torture.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

(jingle)

I remember that. Was so glad when they changed their format to "The Peak."

Didn't realize they got their start as KTAR-FM.

KTAR-FM (1960-1974)
KBBC (1974-1982)
KKLT (1982-2004)
KPKX (2004-2015)
Arizona Sports FM (2015-)

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes.

As of 10 AM - the Peak no longer exists.

It was also our preferred FM station mostly because they did not play the same songs all of the time.

This really sucks. :(

It was my favorite station too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read that when say, the cardinals are on 98.7, 92.3 can pick up say, the hockey game that is on at the same time. They still have 620 am and 840am as well. Just more stations for live games to be broadcast and 2 FM stations for simultanious stations can be a good thing.

Personally, was not a peak fan. Doesnt make a ton of difference to me, my truck is usually on AM anyway on either 910 or 620.

personally for music I only do 93.3, 97.9 and 100.7

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We came home yesterday to two confused cats. We leave the radio on for them during the day and it is set to 98.7.

We came home and they were sitting there literally rolling their eyes at the radio because it was sports talk rather than music. LOL

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We came home yesterday to two confused cats. We leave the radio on for them during the day and it is set to 98.7.

We came home and they were sitting there literally rolling their eyes at the radio because it was sports talk rather than music. LOL
ive heard of a lot of people doing similar things. I wonder if the animals can really tell. Also wonder if they even care or if they even enjoy. Maybe music to them is like chalkboards to us.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Your cats must be very well-behaved. Not many cats could take two hours of Colin Cowherd without shredding the furniture. :mrgreen:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Off topic but the best promo for any radio station ever was that guy with the super deep voice for KYOT.

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth Jazz 95.5 K-Y-Ohhhhhhhhhh-T ha-ha the Coyote...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard