OT: All Time Hard Luck In NFL History

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Andy Reid yet again falling short in the playoffs, this brings to mind the many great coaches who while successful generally speaking, was never able to grab that brass ring for one reason or another. Below is a list off the top of my head of coaches who had great regular season success and some playoff success but either could never get to the Super Bowl or if they got there, they ended up losing. I don't like to use the term choke because losing is a team effort but there are many instances of a coach choking under pressure but for now, we'll just call them hard luck coaches:

Andy Reid(Philadelphia/KC)-Coached a combined 20 seasons with the Eagles and Chiefs and has a record of 195-124-1. Only had 3 losing seasons and took his team to the playoffs 14 times and has been to the conference championship 6 times. Only went to 1 Super Bowl and lost. Ironically, one of his disciples did in Philly in 2 seasons what he couldn't do and that's win a championship. A sure fire hall of famer but has yet to secure a title.

Marty Schottenhiemer(Cleveland/KC/Washington/SD)-21 year head coach with a record of 200-126-1. In that 21 years, only had 1 losing season. 13 playoff appearances. 3 conference championship appearances, zero Super Bowls. Was on the wrong end of both The Drive and The Fumble, both games the Browns had seemingly won but fell apart at the wrong time.

Bud Grant(Minnesota)-18 seasons with a record of 158-96-5. 12 times in the playoffs, only 4 losing seasons. Hall of Famer. 5 conference championship appearances, 4 Super Bowl appearances, lost all 4.

Marv Levy(KC/Buffalo)-17 seasons with the Chiefs and Bills with a record of 143-112 and is in the Hall of Fame. 8 times in the playoffs, 5 conference championship appearances, 4 straight Super Bowls, lost all 4.

Don Coryell(St. Louis/SD)-14 seasons with Cards and Chargers with a record of 111-83-1. 6 playoff appearances, 2 conference championship appearances, lost both. Considered an innovator and helped transition the league from a running league to a passing league. Only 3 playoff wins in coaching career.

Dan Reeves(Denver/NY Giants/Atlanta)-23 seasons as head coach with the Broncos, Giants, and Falcons with a record of 190-165-2. 9 playoff appearances, 5 conference championship appearances, 4 Super Bowls with Denver and Atlanta, lost all 4...badly. Of the coaches mentioned, Reeves is the only one who was an outstanding player.

George Allen(LA/Washington/Chicago(USFL)/Arizona(USFL))-14 seasons as head coach with the Rams, Redskins as well as with the Chicago Blitz/Arizona Wranglers of the USFL(same franchise, swapped cities inbetween 1983-84). I included his tenure in the USFL for a reason. In the NFL he had a record of 116-47-5 with 7 playoff appearances, one conference championship, and lost Super Bowl VII to the undefeated Dolphins but gave them all they could handle. In the USFL he had a record of 22-14 with 2 playoff appearances and one championship game appearance, losing both times to the Philadelphia Stars. He was the only coach that I can recall that was hired by a team then fired in pre-season(1978 Rams). He is in the Hall of Fame.

This isn't a poll, just a rundown of hard luck coaches over the years. If there's someone I didn't mention, feel free to add.

Edit: Title is supposed to be hard luck NFL coaches.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
With Andy Reid yet again falling short in the playoffs, this brings to mind the many great coaches who while successful generally speaking, was never able to grab that brass ring for one reason or another. Below is a list off the top of my head of coaches who had great regular season success and some playoff success but either could never get to the Super Bowl or if they got there, they ended up losing. I don't like to use the term choke because losing is a team effort but there are many instances of a coach choking under pressure but for now, we'll just call them hard luck coaches:

Andy Reid(Philadelphia/KC)-Coached a combined 20 seasons with the Eagles and Chiefs and has a record of 195-124-1. Only had 3 losing seasons and took his team to the playoffs 14 times and has been to the conference championship 6 times. Only went to 1 Super Bowl and lost. Ironically, one of his disciples did in Philly in 2 seasons what he couldn't do and that's win a championship. A sure fire hall of famer but has yet to secure a title.

Marty Schottenhiemer(Cleveland/KC/Washington/SD)-21 year head coach with a record of 200-126-1. In that 21 years, only had 1 losing season. 13 playoff appearances. 3 conference championship appearances, zero Super Bowls. Was on the wrong end of both The Drive and The Fumble, both games the Browns had seemingly won but fell apart at the wrong time.

Bud Grant(Minnesota)-18 seasons with a record of 158-96-5. 12 times in the playoffs, only 4 losing seasons. Hall of Famer. 5 conference championship appearances, 4 Super Bowl appearances, lost all 4.

Marv Levy(KC/Buffalo)-17 seasons with the Chiefs and Bills with a record of 143-112 and is in the Hall of Fame. 8 times in the playoffs, 5 conference championship appearances, 4 straight Super Bowls, lost all 4.

Don Coryell(St. Louis/SD)-14 seasons with Cards and Chargers with a record of 111-83-1. 6 playoff appearances, 2 conference championship appearances, lost both. Considered an innovator and helped transition the league from a running league to a passing league. Only 3 playoff wins in coaching career.

Dan Reeves(Denver/NY Giants/Atlanta)-23 seasons as head coach with the Broncos, Giants, and Falcons with a record of 190-165-2. 9 playoff appearances, 5 conference championship appearances, 4 Super Bowls with Denver and Atlanta, lost all 4...badly. Of the coaches mentioned, Reeves is the only one who was an outstanding player.

George Allen(LA/Washington/Chicago(USFL)/Arizona(USFL))-14 seasons as head coach with the Rams, Redskins as well as with the Chicago Blitz/Arizona Wranglers of the USFL(same franchise, swapped cities inbetween 1983-84). I included his tenure in the USFL for a reason. In the NFL he had a record of 116-47-5 with 7 playoff appearances, one conference championship, and lost Super Bowl VII to the undefeated Dolphins but gave them all they could handle. In the USFL he had a record of 22-14 with 2 playoff appearances and one championship game appearance, losing both times to the Philadelphia Stars. He was the only coach that I can recall that was hired by a team then fired in pre-season(1978 Rams). He is in the Hall of Fame.

This isn't a poll, just a rundown of hard luck coaches over the years. If there's someone I didn't mention, feel free to add.

Edit: Title is supposed to be hard luck NFL coaches.

some great coaches. I owe apologies to Marv Levy...he coached the best team in th NFL for four straight years.
But I placed a curse on the Bills right before their first super bowl....and it has held true.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard