OT: 2024 NFL Draft Rumors

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Schrager was saying on the McAfee show that scouts have told him that there are 20 blue chip players in the draft not counting QBs. If this notion is correct, then trading up from 27 might be in play.
If there are 24 blue chip players, including QBs, no need to over extend and trade up. Teams always pull a Raiders or Cowboys and reach for someone and allow other good players to drop. Only way Cards should think about trading up from 27 is if they want to be super aggressive and get a second top 10 rated talent.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If there are 24 blue chip players, including QBs, no need to over extend and trade up. Teams always pull a Raiders or Cowboys and reach for someone and allow other good players to drop. Only way Cards should think about trading up from 27 is if they want to be super aggressive and get a second top 10 rated talent.
or, if we pick WR at 4,...and the last non WR blue chipper is about to come off the board at 23

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
exactly...so we would have to trade up from 27 to get that last blue chip guy
Like I said though, blue chippers always fall lower than expected. Some team or teams is going to take a gamble on a player they really like that shocks the crowd.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
interesting tidbit I found on Bovada….Michael Penix Jr. was listed as 14-1 odds to go in the top 10. Within the last 2-3 hours that number has shrunk to 7-1.

Giants, Vikings, Raiders, and dark horse Falcons are most probable landing spots for Penix in that 6-10 range.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah's last mock has us taking MHJ @ 4.

You must be registered for see images attach

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Matt Miller also has us taking MHJ @ 4.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just woke up and have to tell you about a dream I had last night. Was having trouble falling asleep and instead of counting sheep I tried saying The Draft, the draft, the draft, Draft Day, Draft Day, D Day, D Day, and finally to sleep. And I dreampt (Sp?) I was in the Cardinals War Room. And I recognized Monti, walking around, shaking hands, and saying good luck. I saw the Board but all the names were blurry and I couldn't make them out.

And Monti looked different as he wasn't dressed in a suit but rather a military uniform, and everyone was calling him the General. Then someone said, "Hold it down, the General wants to say a few words". And Monti went up to the front of the room and started to speak.

"Scouts, coaches and front office personnel, we are about to embark upon a Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the football world are upon you. The hope and prayers of Cardinal fans everywhere march with you."

He went on to remind everyone that we'll be going up against an enemy that is very well armed, and that they will do their best to fool us into thinking that they will be coming after Player A. when it is really Player B. that they are after. We cannot and we will not be fooled.

The room exploded with cheers, and I thought that the noise woke me up. I asked my wife, how did we do, did we get MHJ? My wife asked if i've been drinking, and I reminded her about my strict no alcohol policy while the Draft is on. And then I really woke up, and thought about the movie, Hoosiers, "I'm ready coach, put me in."

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Miller also has us taking MHJ @ 4.
Why would a team ever be stupid enough to "assure" a player that he will be the pick if available at their spot? If rumors are true (or is it an actual quote?) that Arians told Mahomes he'd be the Cards' pick, that's the reason the Chiefs traded ahead of the Cards to get him.

If this rumor is true, it just gives teams an opportunity to do the same this year, plus lets QB needy teams know that they don't need to bother making an offer to the Cards, they can just deal with the Chargers. For example, the rumor about a three-way trade with the Chargers and Vikings where the Cards still get Harrison at #5 while moving from 27 to 23 is off the table. The Vikings can save a little by dealing directly with the Chargers.

@Harry, do teams really tell players they'll be the pick, and if so, what possible benefit is there for the team OR the player? If this is just another way of putting up a smoke screen, it's a pretty lousy way to use a player as a pawn in the game.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Why would a team ever be stupid enough to "assure" a player that he will be the pick if available at their spot? If rumors are true (or is it an actual quote?) that Arians told Mahomes he'd be the Cards' pick, that's the reason the Chiefs traded ahead of the Cards to get him.

If this rumor is true, it just gives teams an opportunity to do the same this year, plus lets QB needy teams know that they don't need to bother making an offer to the Cards, they can just deal with the Chargers. For example, the rumor about a three-way trade with the Chargers and Vikings where the Cards still get Harrison at #5 while moving from 27 to 23 is off the table. The Vikings can save a little by dealing directly with the Chargers.

@Harry, do teams really tell players they'll be the pick, and if so, what possible benefit is there for the team OR the player? If this is just another way of putting up a smoke screen, it's a pretty lousy way to use a player as a pawn in the game.
Theres no way its true outside of the #1 overall pick. It would be pointless...and why would you have any reason to honor that assurance. So you dont pick them and you have an annoyed player who isnt on your team?? Who cares.

I guarantee if you asked NFL players how many teams told them "were going to draft you" and then didnt...it would be a huge number.