OT: 2024 NFL Draft Rumors

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this. But, imo, Arizona can be thought of in the context of two insurance companies.
* We play at State Farm Stadium.
* And with Monti at the helm, We're in Good Hands (Allstate).
As fans we will never (probably) agree with the GM all the time, but I think it is fair to say that we have a VG GM, and in the course of a year, he has made the team respectable. Draft is far from finished and FB is a sport where injuries often decide how a team will do, but I feel the difference a year has made is well, WOW!

Sort of like the size of the Grand Canyon.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unreal lol. Penix goes #8 (75-1 odds) and top 10
That move by Atlanta might just be a sign of things to come when drafting QBs. Conventional 'wisdom' is that if you have two starting-caliber QBs, you have none because you will destroy team unity with some guys wanting this guy to start, and others the second guy. I think we need to re-examine that. The new 'wisdom' should be 'Draft a QB before you need a QB,' and 'If you don't have two, you have none.' If a team has a losing record the previous year and 'earned' a high-draft pick, a QB2 should be a consideration to bring in a top QB candidate to school behind QB1 and be ready to play at a high level (see Bengals this year).

Players are now expected to play 17 regular season games and, if the team qualifies, a round of playoff games (Soon to be 18 regular season games). The league is adding international games that add to the physical toll. That is a brutal gauntlet with more and more QBs going down during the season to injuries. Hence, a need to now have QB1 and a starter-level QB2. The way to do that is to bring in a second QB when you have a top-of-the-draft pick---even if you have a high-paid veteran QB already on the roster.

Maybe the NFL game evolves into the way college teams use QBs? Guys will rotate in, stay fresh, be able to use different elements of the playbook and different skill players because two QBs are 'starters.'

What looks like a 'what the heck' move by Atlanta just might be the future tactic with the QB room.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this. But, imo, Arizona can be thought of in the context of two insurance companies.
* We play at State Farm Stadium.
* And with Monti at the helm, We're in Good Hands (Allstate).
As fans we will never (probably) agree with the GM all the time, but I think it is fair to say that we have a VG GM, and in the course of a year, he has made the team respectable. Draft is far from finished and FB is a sport where injuries often decide how a team will do, but I feel the difference a year has made is well, WOW!

Sort of like the size of the Grand Canyon.
Unlike the previous regime they really do 'have a clue'.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That move by Atlanta might just be a sign of things to come when drafting QBs. Conventional 'wisdom' is that if you have two starting-caliber QBs, you have none because you will destroy team unity with some guys wanting this guy to start, and others the second guy. I think we need to re-examine that. The new 'wisdom' should be 'Draft a QB before you need a QB,' and 'If you don't have two, you have none.' If a team has a losing record the previous year and 'earned' a high-draft pick, a QB2 should be a consideration to bring in a top QB candidate to school behind QB1 and be ready to play at a high level (see Bengals this year).

Players are now expected to play 17 regular season games and, if the team qualifies, a round of playoff games (Soon to be 18 regular season games). The league is adding international games that add to the physical toll. That is a brutal gauntlet with more and more QBs going down during the season to injuries. Hence, a need to now have QB1 and a starter-level QB2. The way to do that is to bring in a second QB when you have a top-of-the-draft pick---even if you have a high-paid veteran QB already on the roster.

Maybe the NFL game evolves into the way college teams use QBs? Guys will rotate in, stay fresh, be able to use different elements of the playbook and different skill players because two QBs are 'starters.'

What looks like a 'what the heck' move by Atlanta just might be the future tactic with the QB room.
My guess insurance to recently injured starting QB.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They should have kept Desmond Ridder then lol.

Atlanta probably wanted Rondale Moore to be their kick-return guy under the new rules. I think he will have a chance to be a ST star under the new format. I see Dortch doing the same for the Cards.

The big question is why they signed Cousins to that big deal knowing he is an older QB and coming off a major injury---that is the puzzling move. They also may have seen enough of Ridder to know that he is not 'the guy' for their offense and fully intended to take Penix with their high pick. Penix may be their starter early on while Cousins fully recovers his mobility in the pocket. Now that would turn things upside down.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atlanta probably wanted Rondale Moore to be their kick-return guy under the new rules. I think he will have a chance to be a ST star under the new format. I see Dortch doing the same for the Cards.

The big question is why they signed Cousins to that big deal knowing he is an older QB and coming off a major injury---that is the puzzling move. They also may have seen enough of Ridder to know that he is not 'the guy' for their offense and fully intended to take Penix with their high pick. Penix may be their starter early on while Cousins fully recovers his mobility in the pocket. Now that would turn things upside down.
If Penix turns out to be an elite, playoff type of QB, then the pick will be absolutely brilliant. If he isn't, that GM has ended his career as a GM when he gets fired in a couple of years. I mean, if you are worried about Cousins' health and him lasting out his contract, then why did you give him 4 years, $100 million? Meeting Penix, seeing him workout, made them fall in love with him and that deal was already done. So, it is as high risk, high reward of a pick as we have maybe ever seen.

I am sure Cousins was telling everyone it's going to be Odunze. The Bears fan I work down the hall from is just ecstatic.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Penix turns out to be an elite, playoff type of QB, then the pick will be absolutely brilliant. If he isn't, that GM has ended his career as a GM when he gets fired in a couple of years. I mean, if you are worried about Cousins' health and him lasting out his contract, then why did you give him 4 years, $100 million? Meeting Penix, seeing him workout, made them fall in love with him and that deal was already done. So, it is as high risk, high reward of a pick as we have maybe ever seen.

I am sure Cousins was telling everyone it's going to be Odunze. The Bears fan I work down the hall from is just ecstatic.
So good!

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If he isn't, that GM has ended his career as a GM when he gets fired in a couple of years.
It may not take a couple of years. Alanta owner Arthur Blank is an old-school hands-on owner (read meddles in all decisions) and is quick with the termination decisions---even if the GM and HC were not the ones ultimately responsible.

Going into the draft, the top needs for Atlanta were:
  1. EDGE
  2. Cornerback
  3. Defensive Line
They have already assembled a pretty good list of skilled players on the offensive side. Imagine if they stumble and don't get to the playoffs because the D doesn't perform and they have a #8 pick sitting on the bench behind the big-money addition of Cousins? The owner will not take the 'blame': the newbie FO and HC will.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson