One thing is blatantly obvious

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I actually just assumed he would miss the kick. That ain't good.

Hate to say, but it should be said. It has been about 20 years of kickers in AZ, not being able to make the big clutch kick. Doesn't matter who the kicker is, his back ground, his age, etc., etc.

Kickers cannot succeed in AZ. Until one proves me wrong, there is something about wearing Cardinal red that effects kickers.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hate to say, but it should be said. It has been about 20 years of kickers in AZ, not being able to make the big clutch kick. Doesn't matter who the kicker is, his back ground, his age, etc., etc.

Kickers cannot succeed in AZ. Until one proves me wrong, there is something about wearing Cardinal red that effects kickers.

Can we go get Chris Jacke?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
One of the best young kickers happens to be a free agent next year...Younghoe Koo (Atlanta).

We are paying Zane too much money (3m) to miss key kicks for us. He is also a free agent next year.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim will never be a GM whenever his stint ends here. At this point, Keim is taking advantage of Bidwill's kindness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kiem entered the organization 3 years after bidwill came as a vp. They are also similar in age as well.

No doubt they are buddies, but bidwill needs to see that football is a business of winning

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
When Zane kicked that ball that was short from about the 40 yardline I was done with him!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently kicking is down this year as a whole and at this point people are saying if it's not just randomness, it may be the lack of crowds. Kickers spend their whole careers getting used to kicking in pressure situations with the loud crowd etc, and now it's just different without crowds and kickers are getting iced.

No idea but it's clearly in Zane's head, like others I fully expected him to miss if we didn't get another 10 yards closer and I think that's why Kyler was so unhappy when he came off the field he knew too.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Gonzalez is going to be the kicker for the Cardinals at least for the balance of this season. Does anyone really think there is any kicker out there available right now that is better than Gonzalez? With Covid and injuries any kicker worth anything is stashed on a team's PS just to cover the position in case something happens to their rostered kicker. Even half of them probably aren't any better than Gonzalez.

Kingsbury keeps trotting him out there to try long FGs so he must think Gonzalez can make them.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Apparently kicking is down this year as a whole and at this point people are saying if it's not just randomness, it may be the lack of crowds. Kickers spend their whole careers getting used to kicking in pressure situations with the loud crowd etc, and now it's just different without crowds and kickers are getting iced.

No idea but it's clearly in Zane's head, like others I fully expected him to miss if we didn't get another 10 yards closer and I think that's why Kyler was so unhappy when he came off the field he knew too.
Apparently our opponents didn't get the memo.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gonzalez is going to be the kicker for the Cardinals at least for the balance of this season. Does anyone really think there is any kicker out there available right now that is better than Gonzalez? With Covid and injuries any kicker worth anything is stashed on a team's PS just to cover the position in case something happens to their rostered kicker. Even half of them probably aren't any better than Gonzalez.

Kingsbury keeps trotting him out there to try long FGs so he must think Gonzalez can make them.

He can make them. He just isn't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if that is the case, then Dingsbury has to realize he can't keep going completely conservative the moment he barely gets into Zane's range and actually keep attacking. See the end of the Buffalo game for an example of this. Buffalo moved the ball down to get in position to kick a FG against us, but they kept attacking and ended up what would have been the game winning touchdown on a 25 yard strike if not for a miracle Hail Mary.

when you put the game in the hands of a guy who consistently shows he can't handle the pressure, when you still have the opportunity to make his job easier, you're doing so to your own detriment. we've done that repeatedly this season with Zane and failed. continuing to do so is the definition of insanity.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kicker are a fickle bunch with no rhyme or reason when they start missing kicks. I would personally move him to the practice squad if that is even possible and throw another guy out there... juggling which guy finally can be on the mark in the weird kicker universe lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The only issue to consider is that once you show a lack of faith in a kicker they generally don't bounce back. Pretty late in the season to be figuring this out. I get he has not been good and I get that he has cost us games, but he is 97% on XP and 76% on FGs. Perfect inside 40 and 66.6% beyond 50. He has struggled in the 40 range but still has made 8 of 12.

If you are gonna move on from him, you better have a really good plan because if not, it will be even more of a crap show.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The only issue to consider is that once you show a lack of faith in a kicker they generally don't bounce back. Pretty late in the season to be figuring this out. I get he has not been good and I get that he has cost us games, but he is 97% on XP and 76% on FGs. Perfect inside 40 and 66.6% beyond 50. He has struggled in the 40 range but still has made 8 of 12.

If you are gonna move on from him, you better have a really good plan because if not, it will be even more of a crap show.

The main emphasis I think is this team flexing its offensive muscle when it can despite a lack of talent on defense and seeing if it does not have to come down to close kicks

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The main emphasis I think is this team flexing its offensive muscle when it can despite a lack of talent on defense and seeing if it does not have to come down to close kicks
I agree, but some of it comes down to execution.

Kyler pulls that ball on the run and he has the first down easy. That isn't Kliff's decision to make. He called a play that had been successful, and was designed to have an option if the Pats defense cheated to stop it. The play was good, but the read was wrong.

Kliff calls a motion added quick out pass to Kirk vs the Dolphins (maybe?)...Kyler bounces it. Not on Kliff.

It is very tough to stay aggressive and generate a consistent offense when the player throwing the ball struggles to be consistent. I know a bunch of people on this board disagree, but that is my opinion. Hard to design an offense if Peyton can't throw and has to run. I won't be shocked if Streveler plays this week.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best young kickers happens to be a free agent next year...Younghoe Koo (Atlanta).

We are paying Zane too much money (3m) to miss key kicks for us. He is also a free agent next year.

I would sign Koo.

I have tried sticking up for Zane but he keeps letting the team down. 2 clutch kicks in a row.

I'm definitely on the sign Koo bandwagon.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but some of it comes down to execution.

Kyler pulls that ball on the run and he has the first down easy. That isn't Kliff's decision to make. He called a play that had been successful, and was designed to have an option if the Pats defense cheated to stop it. The play was good, but the read was wrong.

Kliff calls a motion added quick out pass to Kirk vs the Dolphins (maybe?)...Kyler bounces it. Not on Kliff.

It is very tough to stay aggressive and generate a consistent offense when the player throwing the ball struggles to be consistent. I know a bunch of people on this board disagree, but that is my opinion. Hard to design an offense if Peyton can't throw and has to run. I won't be shocked if Streveler plays this week.

The sky truly is falling.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the idea that anyone else out there would have to be worse than Zane just acquiesces to the idea that we're fine with having an awful kicker when we need it most.

3 times already this season he has missed clutch kicks. twice it's cost us the game. and this isn't the first time he's had this problem.

In 2018, while playing with the Browns, they tied the score at 18-18 with a little over two minutes left and Zane came on to put them in the lead... and missed the extra point. Somehow the Browns got the ball back and drove for another game winning FG and guess what... Zane missed AGAIN. Two kicks to give his team the lead and he blew both.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/ContentGallery/Zane-Gonzalez-missed-field-goal-121990521/

he basically pulled a Rackers... a guy who never met a 40 yard game-winner he couldn't hook right... but was nails when the kicks had no bearing on the outcome of the game like he was in his sterling Pro-Bowl season when the team was absolutely atrocious.

other teams find kickers during the season. if we're not trying to do the same after watching this continued failure in the clutch, we get what we deserve.

man, it would be nice to just ONCE have a great FG kicker who wouldn't make us sick when he comes on the field for a game-winner and then furious after he blows it.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Jackie has been the only clutch kicker we’ve ever had.

and guess what for all those who say we couldn’t possibly find anyone better than Zane at this late date in the season.

we picked up Jackie off the street after week 12 when Joe Nedney got hurt. One week later than right now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Imagine being a Ravens fan and literally never having to think about it. :eek: