OK State @ ASU, 7:30 PM Sat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, because the offense didn't do jack squat in the 2nd half. The 2 TD drives were 150 yards and the entire rest of the game is about half that.

The passing game couldn't get going. Injuries on the offensive line didn't help.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful pass to Badger if it was good. Of course, it's not.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lots o growing pains on offense for sure. Lack of production in second half is a concern. No real adjustments and too many dumb decisions on fourth down.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, ASU definitely going through some rebuilding/growing pains this year. Pac is going to be rough... lots of genuinely good teams. ASU and U of Arizona are going to be in the cellar with Stanford, likely.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good first half, I was really pleased with the pass rush as well, about 4 sacks, and held OSU to zero yards rushing 1st half.

Solid performance by D though I think Ro can play alot better, too many penalties.

But the field position battle killed us and made things too hard on the D having to defend a short field. That caught up to us big time in the second half. I love KDs bravado in saying we are going to automatically go for it in those situations. But you can't run the same plays Gundy already adjusted for at halftime.

And this didn't help either. We may survive next week but need answers after that. Maybe we'll see a moving pocket with Pyne by then, who knows.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I understand the OL being decimated, I understand a freshman QB , I don’t understand continuing to go on fourth down with both of those things being as they are.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good first half, I was really pleased with the pass rush as well, about 4 sacks, and held OSU to zero yards rushing 1st half.

Solid performance by D though I think Ro can play alot better, too many penalties.

But the field position battle killed us and made things too hard on the D having to defend a short field. That caught up to us big time in the second half. I love KDs bravado in saying we are going to automatically go for it in those situations. But you can't run the same plays Gundy already adjusted for at halftime.

And this didn't help either. We may survive next week but need answers after that. Maybe we'll see a moving pocket with Pyne by then, who knows.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The injuries to the offensive line explains a lot.

There was not a lot of pass protection for Rashada. It also had to impact the run game as well and vanilla play calling.

However, going for it on a couple of fourth downs play calls without good field position was perplexing and gave Oklahoma State life.

When the ball hits the ground before being controlled, it's an incomplete pass. It was ruled a completion for the Cowboys. I thought that was a pivotal call by the referees.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explanation for the crappy play by play calls during the game:

The announcers were not in the stadium calling the game, they were remotely calling in presumably in LA

I think we all could have called a better game from our living room. Some of those calls by the announcers weren't even close.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand the OL being decimated, I understand a freshman QB , I don’t understand continuing to go on fourth down with both of those things being as they are.
Dillingham indicates that is going to be standard procedure there. But I agree with you. At least mix up the play calls

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The injuries to the offensive line explains a lot.

There was not a lot of pass protection for Rashada. It also had to impact the run game as well and vanilla play calling.

However, going for it on a couple of fourth downs play calls without good field position was perplexing and gave Oklahoma State life.

When the ball hits the ground before being controlled, it's an incomplete pass. It was ruled a completion for the Cowboys. I thought that was a pivotal call by the referees.

True.

I also think the dropped ball by Guillory in open field was huge. That would have been six. Very uncharacteristic, he catches the hard ones. He's the guy that caught so many from the ball machine his hands were bleeding.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True.

I also think the dropped ball by Guillory in open field was huge. That would have been six. Very uncharacteristic, he catches the hard ones. He's the guy that caught so many from the ball machine his hands were bleeding.

I expected more big plays from the ASU receivers but it didn't happen. Maybe it was the offensive line, maybe not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Rashada had plenty of time on a lot of plays and either he wasn't finding them or they weren't getting open. Hard to tell on TV

It's hard to believe that receiving core couldn't get open. This is part of the growing pains going with a freshman quarterback.

I do think coach Dillingham tried to protect Rashada with all the injuries to the offensive line.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that receiving core couldn't get open. This is part of the growing pains going with a freshman quarterback.

I do think coach Dillingham tried to protect Rashada with all the injuries to the offensive line.
In the 2nd half Gundy dropped everyone 8-10 yards off in the secondary. They were keeping everything in front of them. The run game was actually okay considering how banged up the O-line was.

The problem I have is our play calling was lacking imagination. If I can predict what we are doing from home then you best believe they know on the field. Get Rashada out of the pocket. Keep an option and let Rashada try to make some moves with his feet. Roll him out to expand the defense and give time for your receivers to work. On 3rd and short maybe try a pass play. After halftime they had us pegged and we didn't make the adjustment.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The OL is certainly a problem (it was not expected to be a strength even before the injuries). And so far I'm unimpressed with Beau Baldwin.
Baldwin could be trying to simplify the offense and reads for Rashada. Now the natural inclination would be to say “well if they have to dumb it down then Bourguet should be playing”. Generically I would agree with that stance but the coaches believe Rashada gives the team the best chance to win this season…as of this moment.

I feel like I’m the second half I didn’t see much in the way of chip blocks on edge rushers to help out the tackles and try and show the rush down.

TE is reportedly a strength but the Devils are not taking advantage of that strength. The reasons could be multiple in nature but scheming plays to TEs would make sense