Oh...your tears are so delicious!

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
....from the game-thread on the niners board:http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f20/

horrible. horrible. horrible. goodbye #2 seed.

3 and out again...I think we're going to lose this game.

I'm going to say it, here goes if this team had a QB we would be deadly, Skelton is playing circles around Alex!!!

God i wish Willis was playing, this would not be happening if he were

Skelton takes my vote for obnoxious qb of the year

...so, so sweet, yet tangy!

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 49erholic
Skelton takes my vote for obnoxious qb of the year

Excellent. And he didn't even pull a double deuce yesterday. I know he was thinking about it when the ball got downed at the 1 yard line earlier in the game. I know I was. Double Double Deuce!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This one is my fav so far from some cat that goes by ninerman80..

"Alex Smith yesterday was human birdfeed..literally"

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the local sports guys said it was their worst game of the year and the Cards benefitted from a couple of lucky plays the botched fake FG then miss, the INT that became a Fitz TD etc.

Nevermind that Fitz made the play it's not like it went through Goldson's hands he just got there first.

Not to mention that Acho dropped a pick and Wilson dropped what 3 or 4 picks? The Cards could have EASILY blown them out by the same logic that SF just played poorly.

We did get some calls in the 2nd half but then they got some calls too. The one I'm still wondering about was the block in the back where they said there was no flag, as the announcer said "the flag was on the ground." Why Fox didn't show us the replay is beyond me they seem to like to use Pereira now so why not show it and then ask him why they might pick up the flag after throwing it.

Not too many 49er fans at work but I did get a couple of emails from people who are so mad at how bad they played.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cards were playing a 49er team that wasn't at full strength on either side of the ball. The best defensive player in the NFL was inactive, and their 2nd best offensive player in Staley was injured early.

Good, good win. But I don't think we can say that we "solved" the 49ers based on this game.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Cards were playing a 49er team that wasn't at full strength on either side of the ball. The best defensive player in the NFL was inactive, and their 2nd best offensive player in Staley was injured early.

Good, good win. But I don't think we can say that we "solved" the 49ers based on this game.

a nit, but i would put Gore and Vernon Davis ahead of Staley

its not like the Cards didn't lose people yesterday -- notably the starting QB. While some might think it was an upgrade -- preparation alone says that was a challenge.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

they're still better than us but we won the game without our starting NT our starting FS and our starting QB.

The game was very similar to the first game the difference was at some point in that game Skelton went haywire and gave them the ball and we couldn't overcome it. Yesterday when he screwed up, we made plays after that to get back in the game.

They have struggled to score against us in the redzone in both games this season.

they're the better team without question but it wasn't like not having Willis allowed us to run wild, their problems were in their secondary not at MLB.

Staley probably made a difference in pass blocking but I think the main difference was we just did a much better job of blitzing. usually we run right into blocks that was the rare situation where blitzes really seemed to surprise someone.

One would think a veteran QB who's so great would do a better job of reading the defense pre snap and changing plays.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
a nit, but i would put Gore and Vernon Davis ahead of Staley

its not like the Cards didn't lose people yesterday -- notably the starting QB. While some might think it was an upgrade -- preparation alone says that was a challenge.

You're right. I totally forgot about VD. 3rd best offensive player. But Gore was also hobbling around.

Losing the starting QB goes both ways--just ask the New Orleans Saints. Teams prepare much differently for Skelton than they do for Kolb. Namely because one is a quarterback and the other is a frightened chicken.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score

Doesn't losing our starting quarterback in the first drive even that out a little?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Doesn't losing our starting quarterback in the first drive even that out a little?

Not when your starting quarterback is the... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... maybe sixth or seventh best player on your offense (Fitz, Beanie, Sendlein, King, Colledge... to say nothing of Sherman and I'd argue Doucet). It's not like the Colts losing Peyton Manning. It's more like the Titans losing Matt Hasselback.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
You're right. I totally forgot about VD. 3rd best offensive player. But Gore was also hobbling around.

As was Beanie. This was still a good measuring stick for our defense against their offense.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

What the heck does "solved" even mean K9?? Did they "solve" us earlier this year when they won? If so, "solve" doesn't mean much then as we just beat them...

We have won 5 of our last 6 games. In this day in age in the NFL, that is pretty damn sporty no matter how you choose to slice it. We've done that with a rotation of QB's who have played mediocre at best. Our starting FS out. Our main NT out. A banged up Beanie. Our starting TE out. And a rotating situation at RT due to injury with Bridges and Keith.
It's been noted that no other team in the entire NFL experienced the degree of roster change as have the Cards. Combined with no real training camp and a new defensive coordinator, I would say that our streak and current record is quite admirable...

Seriously, I don't think it's logical to expect much more from this team... Next year is a totally differrent story. But for now, the fact that we are sitting at 6 & 7 with a very good shot at finishing the year at .500 - c'mon man... you have to admit that given all that this team has faced, a .500 season is very respectable!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
and their 2nd best offensive player in Staley was injured early.

I don't know about him being their 2nd best offensive player but I did not realize Alex Boone was on their roster. I figured he was still out in So Cal pounding his daily case of beer.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

K9, just once it would be nice to hear you put a positive spin on ANYTHING this team does. Talk about a negative nellie!

Reaction score
What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

I'm tired of hearing, "if Willis was playing" the outcome would have been different. Was Willis going to provide SF with offensive first downs?

Because that is why the Cardinals beat SF - held them to two first downs in the second half, one coming on Gore's TD run, the other on a personal foul penalty against Safety Rashad Johnson; which by the way was a ******** call.

Except for a single 37 yard TD run, the 49ers were completely stonewalled by the Cardinals defense in the second half.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

we had our backup QB. Excuses.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What the heck does "solved" even mean K9?? Did they "solve" us earlier this year when they won? If so, "solve" doesn't mean much then as we just beat them...

No... they "solved" us when they beat us 5 times in a row, including four consecutive meetings when they were coached by the incompetent Mike Singletary. Duh.

[/QUOTE]We have won 5 of our last 6 games. In this day in age in the NFL, that is pretty damn sporty no matter how you choose to slice it. We've done that with a rotation of QB's who have played mediocre at best. Our starting FS out. Our main NT out. A banged up Beanie. Our starting TE out. And a rotating situation at RT due to injury with Bridges and Keith.
It's been noted that no other team in the entire NFL experienced the degree of roster change as have the Cards. Combined with no real training camp and a new defensive coordinator, I would say that our streak and current record is quite admirable...

Seriously, I don't think it's logical to expect much more from this team... Next year is a totally differrent story. But for now, the fact that we are sitting at 6 & 7 with a very good shot at finishing the year at .500 - c'mon man... you have to admit that given all that this team has faced, a .500 season is very respectable![/QUOTE]

Jeff King is our starting TE. Has been all season. Todd Heap also played, clearing the way for Andre Roberts on a big catch.

This was a good win. So was last week's against the Cowboys. Both of them were really good. Finishing the year at .500 is exactly where I expected us to end up.

The beginning of the season was incredibly frustrating because the offense was as bad under Kevin Kolb as it was under Derek Anderson and Max Hall, when I believe that the offense was meant to keep us competitive while the defense found it's feet.

But finishing .500 when you had the easiest schedule in the NFL shouldn't be a huge achievement. It should be a disappointment. No one made the Cards give away Steve Breaston or bench Deuce Lutui. The roster turnover was almost entirely in depth players, especially on the offensive side of the ball. You can throw out as many excuses as you like for poor performance, but we lost to Washington and Minnesota, currently two of the worst teams in the NFL. We win one of those games, and we move from "in the hunt" to "controlling our own destiny."

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No... they "solved" us when they beat us 5 times in a row, including four consecutive meetings when they were coached by the incompetent Mike Singletary. Duh.

Jeff King is our starting TE. Has been all season. Todd Heap also played, clearing the way for Andre Roberts on a big catch.

This was a good win. So was last week's against the Cowboys. Both of them were really good. Finishing the year at .500 is exactly where I expected us to end up.

The beginning of the season was incredibly frustrating because the offense was as bad under Kevin Kolb as it was under Derek Anderson and Max Hall, when I believe that the offense was meant to keep us competitive while the defense found it's feet.

But finishing .500 when you had the easiest schedule in the NFL shouldn't be a huge achievement. It should be a disappointment. No one made the Cards give away Steve Breaston or bench Deuce Lutui. The roster turnover was almost entirely in depth players, especially on the offensive side of the ball. You can throw out as many excuses as you like for poor performance, but we lost to Washington and Minnesota, currently two of the worst teams in the NFL. We win one of those games, and we move from "in the hunt" to "controlling our own destiny."

Just don't get you at times...

Revisionist history does nothing to add to the debate. We knew, as we entered week one this year, what our situation was. We knew that Breaston, Hightower and the rest were gone. We knew Williams was lost for the year. We knew we had a brand new DC, a new QB, and that our roster was revamped more than any other roster in the NFL. And we knew that all of that change was amplified by the lack of a training camp.
So, based upon those facts, I really don't see how are current position can be viewed as disappointing. That just seems completely disconnected from the facts. And now, at this juncture where we sit at 6 & 7, winners of 5 of our last 6 and a slim shot at the post season, with our starting FS out for most of the season, the QB we invested heavily in missing most of the season forcing us to go with a 5th round stretch pick at QB, a less than 100% Beanie Wells, nagging injuries at RT that have caused us to have to continue to rotate Keith and Bridges, our best DT out for the majority of the season... Sorry dude... IMHO, I think it's a minor miracle that we sit where we sit at this point. Somehow, Whiz held onto this team. Sitting at 1 & 6 and steering right into the abyss, he somehow kept the team together. Somehow Horton has been able to piece his defensive scheme together in a way that our guys have matured and learned and improved tremendously over the past 6 weeks.
You can discount all of that all you want by bringing up our schedule... however, last I checked, the Cowboys were 7 & 4 and the 9ers 10 & 2 when we played them - and beat them.

I am not at all suggesting that the Cards are now some sort of a juggernaut. They're not. But, I have no problem saying that I am totally surprised that we are 6 & 7 with a remote chance at the post season, given all of the above. I am totally surprised that Whiz didn't lose this team. And I am totally surprised by the marked improvement of our defense.

It seems to me that regardless of what happens the rest of the way this year, we will enter 2012 on a very positive note with one big, glaring spotlight shinning on Kolb. Since he'll probably not play this Sunday, that means that at best, we'll have 2 remaining games to potentially learn something about him. In essence, we will have gone the entire season and not really learned anything about Kolb... That sucks of course, however, I'm ok with that seeing how the rest of the team has come together. And all I can do is hope that next season, with a full training camp under his belt (and who knows, maybe Haley is back! ;)), that Kolb will prove to be worth the money we spent... If not, it sure seems to me that we have another QB worthy of investing in - Skelton. I'm cool with that...