Oh PFF...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay, now THAT is a joke. Our offense which was ranked top 13 last year... with more weapons and a better O-line is now the 3rd worst in the league? I would love to see how they came up with that.

and while I think the D will take a step back, it's pretty ridiculous to think they'll take 18 steps back.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Interesting. Is anyone here an E$PN In$ider and can take a look at the article?

My assumption is that they have our RB and QB groups ranked low, maybe along with the offensive line (and really, from an outside perspective, does anyone besides Veldheer appear like an average offensive lineman right now?).

On defense, while the secondary looks objectively awesome, and the defensive line is exciting among the starters and even some depth, the OLBs and ILBs look pretty pedestrian.

This team last season (probably) played greater than the sum of its parts, and several of the best parts left via free agency or suspension last year. I can see how that would work out to an "objective" low grade.

Although PFF is garbage.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting. Is anyone here an E$PN In$ider and can take a look at the article?

My assumption is that they have our RB and QB groups ranked low, maybe along with the offensive line (and really, from an outside perspective, does anyone besides Veldheer appear like an average offensive lineman right now?).

On defense, while the secondary looks objectively awesome, and the defensive line is exciting among the starters and even some depth, the OLBs and ILBs look pretty pedestrian.

This team last season (probably) played greater than the sum of its parts, and several of the best parts left via free agency or suspension last year. I can see how that would work out to an "objective" low grade.

Although PFF is garbage.

Offense:
On the surface the Arizona Cardinals have some talented pieces in place, most notably at wide receiver with Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd. The offensive line, however, allowed the most pressure on a per-snap basis a year ago, with 242 total pressures from 620 passing plays.

The good news is that adding Jared Veldheer helps, as will Bobby Massie's expected return to the starting lineup at right tackle, but will it make enough of a difference? At running back it's hard not to be impressed by Andre Ellington, who forced 31 missed tackles from just 157 touches on offense, but it's fair to question whether he can be an every-down back or if he's better suited for a lower-volume, higher-impact role in which he won't be worn down by a full workload.

Defense:

The Cardinals have an interesting mix of tremendous players and areas of concern. Defensive back Tyrann Mathieu was a stud as a rookie and could be a star if he returns to full health after last season's ACL tear. Patrick Peterson is capable of manning up against the best receivers in the league. The one man on the defense we deemed elite is Calais Campbell, who had the second-highest overall PFF grade among 3-4 defensive ends.

While Campbell and Mathieu solidify the line and the secondary, respectively, there are plenty of questions at linebacker. They lost Karlos Dansby in free agency and Daryl Washington to suspension, and outside of a 36-year old John Abraham, they have lacked an edge rusher for several seasons.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hm... Worst linebacking corps in the NFL? Really? Even I think that's unfair.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At the bottom of the page they say they're hiring mobile engineers. What they need are writers and analysts.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is about the most stupid opinion I've seen in a long, long, long time.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hm... Worst linebacking corps in the NFL? Really? Even I think that's unfair.

John Abraham
Matt Shaunessey
Kareem Martin
Sam Acho
Alex Okafor
Kevin Minter
Kenny Demens
Lorenzo Alexander, and
Larry Foote

would like to explain something to the writers of that article out in the parking lot. Won't take long.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Andre Ellington, who forced 31 missed tackles from just 157 touches on offense, but it's fair to question whether he can be an every-down back or if he's better suited for a lower-volume, higher-impact role in which he won't be worn down by a full workload.
The every down back argument is just plain ridiculous... Being 15-20 lbs heavier does NOTHING to qualify you as a "every down back"
Yet every time you see a slightly smaller RB come around, this nonsense is talked about.
Are heavier backs gifted with better knee's? Less concussion prone?
You can either take a beating, or you can't... an extra 20 lbs or so is never gonna dictate how often you can carry the rock.

If they are gonna use the term at all.. Stick to a guys injury history only, then it makes a little more sense.. More times than not, they list a backs size as the reason he is/isn't a "every down" back.

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! There we go again- no respect to the Cardinals! I know we used to be the laughing stock of the NFL, but that is no longer the case. It used to be when a team needed a highlight reel, they would just say "go look when we played the cardinals!" Not so much the case now. I sure hope we prove the "professional analysts" wrong this year!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CP must be making progress. Going into 2013 we were terrible because we didn't have a QB. Now they have to look elsewhere for reasons why we'll be terrible. Being objective, I think it's fair to say that in the NFL you never know. There are ALWAYS teams that surprise, both good and bad. But I do trust the fans on this Board to have a better handle on the team than the people at PFF. As a member of the Kool Aid team, I recognize the value of the Darksiders, in keeping us grounded and in evaluating the Cardinals.