Official Game 2 Thread

AZ4Life

Reaction score
Well since I didn't see anybody else start the game two thread, I guess I will be the lucky guy to start it :cool:

Anyone care to put in their predictions for tonight's game while we have a little over 4 hours before tip-off?

I'm thinking Duncan will come out hungry and pissed about game 1, but Suns also need to focus their attention on Malik Rose. He is the x-factor for the Spurs. If the Suns' big men can contain Duncan without getting into much foul trouble, I'm looking for a narrow 2 or 3 pt win for the Suns :D The Suns can't rely on bad free throw shooting or lax zone defense (Robinson or any other big man were just strolling down the lane without opposition), otherwise it will turn out ugly for the Suns.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we take this game as well. We have the confidence, the Spurs are worried, we played pretty poorly offensively I thought in Game 1, so we have to be better tonight.

95-89 Phoenix.

Mike

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I think Amare is the key tonight. Feed him early. Either Duncan or Rose will have to guard him, and we saw how quick he got robinson into foul trouble on saturday. If he can get some quick fouls on either of those two players, the game becomes a cake walk. I mean behind Rose and Duncan the only other larger body is danny ferry I think.

BALLERMANIA2

Reaction score
one thing i think that will almost guarantee a win is if the suns attack the basket and if timmy d checks amare some. with duncan out of the game with foul trouble and willis suspended, they will have major issues matching up with the suns. i honestly cant see them dealing with us with duncan out of the game. hell, even with him in and getting doubled they will struggle. a couple of times in the first game, d-rob subbed in for timmy d so now when he goes out, they are really small and not as skilled as the suns. i cant see me being scared of a lineup of ginobili, rose, parker, bowen and stephen jackson. the suns should eat that up.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns will need to shoot a high % to win this game. The refs did a good job of helping the Spurs in game 1 and they blew it at
the line (41-25 attempts is lopsided). I see them calling early fouls on Amare and the centers that will open up the middle a bit for the Spurs. Yes, I know Walton claims that "It is ridiculas to say the refs help the stars in this league and that it doesn't happen",
but we all know it's a fact of the game these days. The Suns will need to keep their cool and focus, making their open shots will sure help. I think they will focus on Marbury and try to make the offense go through Amare as he is a rookie and they may feel
he can't have two big games. I just don't think they have the speed to chase down our 1 through 3.
Go Suns!!!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately - I see the Spurs getting a lot of breaks in this game - and this is the classic game where the young team could rest on it's laurels after a shocking game 1 win - plus - Steph and Shawn played 53 minutes last game - I pray to beporven wrong - but for some reason I feel an eleven point loss coming tonight - to go up 2-0 on the one seed is just a little too much to ask - but again - I hope I'm wrong and I hope we can keep it close so that come 4th Quarter, Steph can step it up and put the dagger into those heartless bastards! GO SUNS - The anticipation for this game is killing me!

fordronken

Reaction score
Here's why I think we can win the series:

1) Tim Duncan is a phenomenal player, but he does not have the killer instinct. The team plays like he does. Generally consistent and fundamentally sound basketball. They don't get emotional and they don't go for the throat.

2) David Robinson in an interview during "Inside the NBA" yesterday was asked if it would be the perfect ending for him to walk off with another championship. He kind of brushed it off. He said yeah, it'd be great, but it's not what it's all about. He realizes that there's more to life. He is happy the way he is. Again, no killer instinct.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds simple, but if the Phoenix Suns are making their outside shots I think they will run away with this one. If they are struggling like they did in Game 1 I think it will be another close one.

I said this a few times already. The officiating in Game 1 definitely favored San Antonio, but it wasn't horrendous. I fully expect it to be ridiculously lopsided tonight. By the end of the game I think most of us will be complaining that Tim Duncan should have fouled out in the third quarter.

I think San Antonio will run a zone defense for much of the game. If Phoenix settles for three-point shots most of the time it will probably mean they are heading back to Phoenix with the series tied.

Phoenix 97
San Antonio 89

Joe Mama

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"I think San Antonio will run a zone defense for much of the game. If Phoenix settles for three-point shots most of the time it will probably mean they are heading back to Phoenix with the series tied."

Ageed Joe, I have a strange feeling that in order to win this game it will have to be from the outside and that is not in any teams favor. I have been thinking the past 2 days that Casey will have a role in this game. At least 12-15 minutes and he will score 12.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that Voskuhl should start at center tonight? His aggressive cuts to the basket could really put the pressure on Duncan and Rose. Duncan will play the whole game, but getting some fouls on Rose could be huge.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
i think the suns will get this one too. should be another defensive mathcup, but i think we will be able to score more. the spurs are going to have to get a HUGE game from someone other than duncan and maybe two other people at that. we have shown we can play effective on duncan, who will he go to? who is capable of beating the suns? i don't see the spurs(other tan duncan) being able to step up tonight. stephen jackson or parker or ginobli will have to have 50+ points between them tonight if they want to win.

108-94 suns. marbury was asked before the series if he's be happy whith a split. he replyed something like..."no i wouldn't be happy with a split. i want to win every game. that's the goal"

the quote is probly way off;) it was something like that.

GO SUNS!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
he replyed something like..."no i wouldn't be happy with a split. i want to win every game. that's the goal"

Good attitude. If the series goes long, the Suns are unlikely to win all three of their home games. (Hmm, and if the series is short, then the Suns are very unlikely to win all three home games. You know what I mean.) That means they need at least two wins in San Antonio. It's good to have one of those wins taken care of, but they might as well try to get the second one as quickly as possible.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Does anyone else think that Voskuhl should start at center tonight? His aggressive cuts to the basket could really put the pressure on Duncan and Rose. Duncan will play the whole game, but getting some fouls on Rose could be huge.

You stole my thought. Let's see if Frank Johnson can now adjust to what will obviously be some unusual lineups by SA.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Little Jake was out of control last game. Hopefully he was just nervous. I mean he picked up fouls fast for him, so that says something. Lord I just looked at the box score, he had 5 fouls in 7 minutes. I mean I dont even know if Alton Ford can do that. I say start Bo, even though his game has been down since the injury, we will need that control (i know its not much, but more then jake). Save Jake for coming off the bench. We could always start Williams again if he feels alright, he will body up against his opponent instead of run around like a chicken with its head cut off. I see Bo's man cutting a lot on him actually, scratch Bo, go with Williams or Big Jake. :D

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I think that without D-Rob in the game tonight Amare will come out looking to dominate. Rose cannot guard him, and Duncan seems to dislike Amare's tough style. Look for Duncan to play soft defense until Amare throws it down on him a few times.

Amare will be huge tonight. 28 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Suns will pull this one out.

Suns 95
Spurs 89

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Haha. Ainge and Majerle are doing the game on TNT.

Wha.... ?!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
i thoguht that was great, im going to be watchin in the other room, so not as many posts from me during the game, i know you guys will all miss me ;)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
God. Already a cheap foul on Amare.

:rolleyes:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is Amare just missing chippies right now? I'm following the game on sportsline and that's like the third 8 footer he's missed! Just gotta hang on during the opening stages and not let them get on any long runs.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
Haha. Ainge and Majerle are doing the game on TNT.

Wha.... ?!

:thumbup:

I am watching that telecast. We got homers on both channels...

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
You know, I think Ginoboli spens as much time on the floor after flopping then he does anything else.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
F that no call. Danny Ferry totally elbowed him in the chest. They need to give Amare a few calls, pathetic!