Official: Childress Going to Greece

Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/07/23/childress_hawks_greece.html
Childress leaving Hawks to join Greek franchise
Restricted free agent confirms signing with Olympiakos of Greece
By SEKOU SMITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/23/08

Atlanta Hawks fans won't have to fret over the fate of restricted free agent swingman Josh Childress anymore.

That's because Childress is no longer a Hawk. He said he agreed to terms Wednesday morning on a three-year contract with Olympiakos of Greece that is worth far more than $20 million initially reported.

"It's official, I just signed," Childress said by phone Wednesday morning from Athens, where he and agent Jim Tanner will be until Friday. "I think it was . . . a situation where I didn't know who to expect coming in, coming over to Athens. But it's a great city and a great organization. They do whatever they can to make you feel at home."

The deal is the most lucrative current contract in European basketball and the biggest in Euroleague history. It's also another step in the globalization of the game, a trend that got a huge boost recently when the top-rated U.S. high school player, California native Brandon Jennings, opted for a contract with an Italian team over playing at Arizona.

Childress' move is a blow to the Hawks, who have no recourse to match an offer made to a restricted free agent by a non-NBA team. The Hawks are also in negotiations with their other restricted free agent, Josh Smith.

The Hawks retain Childress's NBA rights for at least two years, but they lose one of the league's best and most efficient sixth men without immediate compensation. The Hawks, per the rules of restricted free agency, had the right to match any competing offers from NBA teams.

Childress representatives and Hawks officials negotiated for weeks on a contract extension but could never come close to agreeing to terms. The Hawks offered Childress a five-year deal with a starting salary in excess of the mid-level exception of $5.5 million.

But Childress, 25, spurned the Hawks' $33 million offer for a more lucrative deal with Olympiakos.

With no salary cap for European teams, Olympiakos could offer whatever they wanted to entice Childress to leave the NBA for the international game. Childress will, however, have the option of opting out his contract with Olympiakos at the end of each season, which gives Childress maximum flexibility were he to choose to return to the NBA after this season.

Childress's playing time dipped last season by seven minutes, from 36.9 to 29.9 a night, from the previous season. He averaged 11.8 points on 57 percent shooting.

He was one of just six players in the league to average at least 10 points and 4 rebounds while also shooting better than 50 percent (.571) from the floor and making 20 or more 3-pointers. Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Mike Miller, Grant Hill and Andre Kirilenko were the others.

In four years with the Hawks, Childress averaged 11.1 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists as one of the league's best sixth men, he finished sixth in the voting for the Sixth Man award last season.

Chosen by the Hawks with the sixth pick of the 2004 NBA draft, Childress was one of the cornerstone's of a rebuilding effort that also included Smith, picked 17th in that same draft.

They both helped the Hawks end nearly a decade of struggles with the franchise's first postseason bid in nine years, which ended in a Game 7 loss to the eventual NBA champion Boston Celtics in May.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to follow is this a no impact move like Danny Ferry to Italy in 1989, or is this a sign of things to come.

AtlHawksFan

Rookie
Reaction score
i cant stand that team! so i give some cheers lol

Come on, give us a little sympathy for one day. I just can't believe this and the really sad part is that we didn't get anything for him and we'll also have to renounce his rights to free up the cap hold.

This is setting an interesting precedent and I''m sure that other players will do the same. Shades of Curt Flood who was the baseball player that opened the door for free agency in MLB.

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
Come on, give us a little sympathy for one day. I just can't believe this and the really sad part is that we didn't get anything for him and we'll also have to renounce his rights to free up the cap hold.

This is setting an interesting precedent and I''m sure that other players will do the same. Shades of Curt Flood who was the baseball player that opened the door for free agency in MLB.

no offense to ya hawk fan i got nothin against the fans i just dont like the team lol

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Well, I can't blame the guy. 20 million is 20 million. I do think that we will see more of this, but how much more, I don't know. I think that this will definitely affect contracts and free agency and all that juicy stuff.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Childress, 25, spurned the Hawks' $33 million offer for a more lucrative deal with Olympiakos.

Olympiakos must have offered one huge contract. However, didn't the Hawks FO do something similar to lure Joe Johnson away. I guess what comes around goes around... although I feel bad for the Hawks fans.

However, I think the NBA better wake up if the European teams can pay any salary they want without a CAP and the NBA is tied to a CBA. This type thing can happen to any NBA team. I think this issue needs to be addressed soon. I can see where RFAs are going to be using this to negotiate with NBA teams. Or then again, maybe they won't even bother. They just may grab the money and run. Stern better wake up now.

Again sorry Hawks fans.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I hope Childress goes over there and dominates. He's a very good player and one I would love to see in purple and orange.

With that said, I hope the trend continues. A competitive market for the NBA is needed, though one backlash is going to be higher pay for NBA players to keep'em here.

Good luck Josh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Childress goes over there and dominates. He's a very good player and one I would love to see in purple and orange.

With that said, I hope the trend continues. A competitive market for the NBA is needed, though one backlash is going to be higher pay for NBA players to keep'em here.

Good luck Josh.

I just think the NBA Commissioner needs to get off his throne and look towards equalizing the playing field. It may not be a huge problem now but looking towards the future it will be.

I can see you're a free trade economy man. :D

Theoretically it works if everyone is playing by the same rules and there is fair reciprocity. It does not appear the Europeans have to play by the same rules. This is what screws up free trade in general. There needs to be agreements/ parameters in place.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The Hawks cost the Suns a championship when they took JJ. There was no other team even vaguely prepared to pay that kind of money. The Suns offer that season was one of the biggest of year at $60 million for 5 years. That should have been enough without destroying the team's finances.

So I have zero sympathy for the Hawks who got into the playoffs only to face the team falling apparet because somebody else is doing it to them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should trade Diaw for JJ. :)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
so it's possible that the only year the hawks make the playoffs in the past 10 and next 10 is the year we had their pick.

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
The Hawks cost the Suns a championship when they took JJ. There was no other team even vaguely prepared to pay that kind of money. The Suns offer that season was one of the biggest of year at $60 million for 5 years. That should have been enough without destroying the team's finances.

So I have zero sympathy for the Hawks who got into the playoffs only to face the team falling apparet because somebody else is doing it to them.

yes totally agree with u, thats why i hate this team and have no sympathy also, F..k the hawks!!!

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
http://rimshots.freedomblogging.com/2008/07/23/childress-to-greece-changes-the-nba-free-agent-game/

Childress to Greece changes the NBA free agent game

July 23rd, 2008, 12:23 pm · Jerry Brown

When Tiago Splitter spurned the Spurs to stay overseas, eyebrows were raised.
When the likes of Primoz Brezec, Carlos Delfino, Bostjan Nachbar and Juan Carlos Navarro left the NBA and headed back to Europe, the grumbling started around the league.
But Josh Childress’ decision to turn down a deal with Atlanta – who smugly thought they had the restricted free agent over a barrel and low-balled him on a contract extension – proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that things are changing.

Childress is the first American to say no to the NBA, to look at a combination of a more lucrative offer, the value of the Euro over the American dollar and the more favorable tax situation and say “Hey, why not?”

And just like that, basketball overseas took another huge step forward, and free agents and their representatives gained a huge leg up in negotiations.

Let’s keep in mind we’re talking about the Atlanta Hawks, the poster children for foolhardy, dysfunctional ownership. They figured Childress had nowhere else to go, so they waited an entire month while the rest of the team swung trades and snatched up the best free agents. They thought they couldn’t lose.

Now Childress is gone. There is no one left in the free agent market who can replace him. Much like Golden State in the West – who was blind-sided by the loss of Baron Davis and replaced him with Marcus Williams – one of the leagues young, exciting teams has been knocked for a loop in Atlanta.

So while the Suns continue their attempts to coax Goran Dragic toward Phoenix, it is important to note that, right now, the tug-o-war is going the other way.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so it's possible that the only year the hawks make the playoffs in the past 10 and next 10 is the year we had their pick.

Pretty much the same thing that happened with that Chicago pick. a few years back. There can't be an NBA team with more bad luck than the Suns over the last 30 years.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much the same thing that happened with that Chicago pick. a few years back. There can't be an NBA team with more bad luck than the Suns over the last 30 years.

Oh, I don't know. The Cavs were out of the playoffs for a long time, thus able to hang onto the pick from the Hot Rod Williams deal for years. Heh, the Suns were messed over, but it takes a really messed up team to be so bad for so long.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
With Childress now in Greece could Carl Landry be next ??

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5904656.html
July 24, 2008, 12:35AM
Rockets' forward Landry may opt to play overseas

Associated Press

The agent for restricted free agent forward Carl Landry says his client may entertain offers to play overseas.
"Carl would entertain all serious offers," Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, told Houston television station KRIV-TV on Wednesday. "There is serious interest in Carl by both other NBA teams and internationally."
Landry was a rookie for the Houston Rockets last season and averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds a game.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will take before European teams start proposing pro contract to 14/15 yo best prospects. If they do it, the Lebron James type of young talent could very soon start their career in Europe (at 16 yo like Ricky Rubio). It would mean that at draft time, they could be bound to an european team by huge salaries and buyouts, making them virtually undraftable.
This would probably mean the end of the age limit in the NBA.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know. The Cavs were out of the playoffs for a long time, thus able to hang onto the pick from the Hot Rod Williams deal for years. Heh, the Suns were messed over, but it takes a really messed up team to be so bad for so long.

Well, did the Cavs stink primarily due to bad luck or ineptitude? The Suns have assembled some good teams and became derailed by injuries (Stat, Manning, etc). They have also lost two major coin flips (all luck) that would have landed Kareem and D. Robinson. They made a bunch of moves around 1998 to have a ton of money to go after top-tier free agents and then the strike or new CBA negated their planning. The list goes on.

AnotherHOMER

Reaction score
I wonder how long it will take before European teams start proposing pro contract to 14/15 yo best prospects. If they do it, the Lebron James type of young talent could very soon start their career in Europe (at 16 yo like Ricky Rubio). It would mean that at draft time, they could be bound to an european team by huge salaries and buyouts, making them virtually undraftable.
This would probably mean the end of the age limit in the NBA.

Good post and a scary thought.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
European teams are not going to get the superstars, but the mid level guys are going to be very vulnerable. The only way teams can keep from going broke is to underpay some mid level guys. You cannot afford a whole bunch of max guys without getting into LT hell like the Suns. The league is going to have to come to grips with this because we may seeing only the frist step in huge revoluation.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Competition is always a good thing, I hope the real competition these european teams are mounting this off season will force the NBA to adapt.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The restricted free agency system was designed to hold down prices. With Euro teams not subject to the teams matching offers, they can get guys for market while NBA teams are forced to overpay.

IMHO, this is going to force the NBA to abandon restricted free agency. The old pattern of drafting guys and developing them will simply go away if teams assume their guys will leave. It will have a radical effect on the NBA, but it seems to be inevitable.