Official 2007 Arizona State Sun Devils OFFSEASON Basketball Thread

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Hopefully he won't have to do much...He made a team competitive without much talent. Hopefully the incoming talent and added experience of the 4 frosh will make them a better team.

bko32

Registered
Reaction score

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
James Harden won back to back state championships his junior and senior years. He' a great character guy as well. I think he's going to do real well as ASU.

No doubt he will 32.

I'm more interested in how good Sendek is at judging talent before anyone else recongnizes it...This Florida kid might be one of those types?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Got to love what Herb's done so far, it would've simply been unthinkable a few years ago. Herb is obviously excellent at recruiting wing players, I have a slight concern about ASUs front court depth (next year it will be Boateng, Pendergraph and then no one really), but they'll have plenty of shooters, which will be a nice change from this year.

bko32

Registered
Reaction score
Got to love what Herb's done so far, it would've simply been unthinkable a few years ago. Herb is obviously excellent at recruiting wing players, I have a slight concern about ASUs front court depth (next year it will be Boateng, Pendergraph and then no one really), but they'll have plenty of shooters, which will be a nice change from this year.

Hopefully ASU does well in the next year or two and Herb can get into the NCAA tourney. In 2 years, Renardo Sidney, Harden's teammate in high school will be graduating. Him and Harden are real good friends, and Sidney has said that Harden is like a big brother to him.

If ASU can turn things around, maybe, and this is a REAL BIG maybe, Sidney might consider ASU. This is very doubtful because Sidney is being heavily recruited by all of the powerhouse schools, but who would've thought that a player like Harden would've chosen ASU.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Whatever college games Renardo Sidney plays in will in all likelihood eventually be forfeited, I've heard the only schools actively recruiting him are USC and Kansas State. He's the next OJ Mayo, his dad admits to getting paid by Reebok to get his son to show up at their Tournaments. I'm guessing he ends up at USC or possibly UCLA if the Bruins have a rough go the next two years which is doubtful. His Dad moved him to LA to become a celebrity, so I'm guessing that's where he will stay and Howland won't need that circus. Neither will Sendek either if he builds up ASU as you suggest, I'd hope he learned his lesson from the Gerald Wilkins fiasco.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever college games Renardo Sidney plays in will in all likelihood eventually be forfeited, I've heard the only schools actively recruiting him are USC and Kansas State. He's the next OJ Mayo, his dad admits to getting paid by Reebok to get his son to show up at their Tournaments. I'm guessing he ends up at USC or possibly UCLA if the Bruins have a rough go the next two years which is doubtful. His Dad moved him to LA to become a celebrity, so I'm guessing that's where he will stay and Howland won't need that circus. Neither will Sendek either if he builds up ASU as you suggest, I'd hope he learned his lesson from the Gerald Wilkins fiasco.

Sidney is a weird one we kept hearing UCLA wasn't interested and then recently apparently Howland attended one of their games. He wasn't recruiting Harden or Story(verballed to SC) so the assumption is he was watching Sidney. Like you the stories on him scare me. He recently said he really enjoyed HS this year and will stay at Artesia even though story is going to Oak Hill next year, he said HS is fun, it's not as fun as AAU but its' fun.

From what I've read the young big UCLA wants is Jeremy Tyler the freshman who played with Jamelle Horne this year. He's 6'10" and everyone in the Pac 10 is hot after him. UCLA wants the Wear twins and or Andy Brown from Mater Dei(all sophs) in Sidney's class but Tyler is long range big target although obviously a lot can change by the time he's college bound.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Why did Harden choose ASU?

30,000 girls on campus, pools everywhere, if you want a good education then you can get one, hopefully an up and coming basketball program, playing with a McDonalds All American big man, and a former coach works there...I may have left a few things out?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
As a coach it's really a pretty easy sell to recruits. Our former football and basketball coaches somehow didn't realize that.

One of the problems with our baseball coach is that it's too easy of a sell, and he signs kids that are drafted high in the draft and turn down college for $$$.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
30,000 girls on campus, pools everywhere, if you want a good education then you can get one, hopefully an up and coming basketball program, playing with a McDonalds All American big man, and a former coach works there...I may have left a few things out?

Hmmm...Scouts had Texas, USC and UCLA interested in him, but he chose ASU. I think those schools are comparable to ASU in most ways and exceed ASU in many others (national exposure, etc).

I just didnt know if there was something I was missing.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hmmm...Scouts had Texas, USC and UCLA interested in him, but he chose ASU. I think those schools are comparable to ASU in most ways and exceed ASU in many others (national exposure, etc).
Those schools didn't hire his HS basketball coach and give his best friend his only major conference scholarship offer. That's really the only difference between those schools, Arizona, and Washington. Make no mistake, Harden was going wherever Scott Pera ended up. Russ and I had been discussing it for months via PM before anyone went anywhere. It's nothing new, package deals happen all the time in college hoops. Arizona's walk-on not coincidentally is from Mater Dei and has a good relationship with a couple huge 2009 prospects. Zane Johnson from Phoenix (who is a solid player mind you) played AAU ball with Jerryd Bayless but never got an offer from Arizona but got one after Bayless re-opened his recruitment.

Baller is right about one thing though - recruiting to both Arizona and ASU should not be as tough as certain coaches have made it out to be. Budgeting and exposure are pretty much the biggest two obstacles left but those will hopefully be eased with population growth and a better TV contract.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score

I just didnt know if there was something I was missing.

I think I've heard him say in an interview something to the effect of, wanting to be the guy who builds a program, rather than just another guy in a long string of great players at some program. Honestly, what would be more appealing to you? If you thought you had a really legitimate shot of turning a school around, and forever being known as the guy who brought the school to prominence or just another great player in a long line? Going to ASU, Harden has a chance to make WFA "The House Harden Built", I can certainly see the appeal.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think I've heard him say in an interview something to the effect of, wanting to be the guy who builds a program, rather than just another guy in a long string of great players at some program.
In recruiting speak this means he wanted early playing time. I only know because that's the same rhetoric I hear from big football recruits that come to Arizona when the truth is they're here because they know they can play right away. I have no problem with that method of recruiting, that's how Mike Stoops has recruited so far at Arizona and how Lute will recruit big men for the 2008 class. Big time players like James Harden just want to go to the NBA, they could care less if it's via a school in the middle of Nebraska with horrid weather and ugly girls or in San Diego surrounded by models.

Last edited:

bko32

Registered
Reaction score

The whole situation surrounding Sidney is a little shady.

However, I can tell you this: his parents attend every game and are very protective of Sidney as far as who Sidney can and can't talk to. If you want to talk to Sidney, you need to talk to his dad first.

He also plays for a coach that won't put up with his prima dona act. Earlier this year, Sidney was suspended for 2 league games due to his poor attitude after being pulled from a game. The games he missed were against Artesia's biggest league rivals, one of whom had previously beat Artesia earlier in the year.

From what I've heard firsthand from Artesia's coach, Sidney is a great kid, but is a little hard-headed like most teenagers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those schools didn't hire his HS basketball coach and give his best friend his only major conference scholarship offer. That's really the only difference between those schools, Arizona, and Washington. Make no mistake, Harden was going wherever Scott Pera ended up. Russ and I had been discussing it for months via PM before anyone went anywhere. It's nothing new, package deals happen all the time in college hoops. Arizona's walk-on not coincidentally is from Mater Dei and has a good relationship with a couple huge 2009 prospects. Zane Johnson from Phoenix (who is a solid player mind you) played AAU ball with Jerryd Bayless but never got an offer from Arizona but got one after Bayless re-opened his recruitment.

Baller is right about one thing though - recruiting to both Arizona and ASU should not be as tough as certain coaches have made it out to be. Budgeting and exposure are pretty much the biggest two obstacles left but those will hopefully be eased with population growth and a better TV contract.

And UCLA hired a new film coordinator this year who happened to work at Mater Dei so they how have an "in" with the Wear twins and Andy Brown all who are HS sophs.

Pera was a bit more "obvious" since he was hired right before Harden started his senior year, but I don't think Harden was ever going to UCLA. They were late getting in on him by the time they decided they wanted him and made a push, he'd settled on ASU.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Pera was a bit more "obvious" since he was hired right before Harden started his senior year, but I don't think Harden was ever going to UCLA. They were late getting in on him by the time they decided they wanted him and made a push, he'd settled on ASU.
ASU did make the most sense for Harden, he wouldn't have to fight it out for shots with Bayless/Budinger, Pondexter/Brockman, Mayo/Pruitt, or Collison/Love and he'd be the guy from Day 1. When you add in the comfort level of Pera and Glasser it was an easy decision.

But let's not start pretending guys of Harden's caliber care about girls, weather, or being part of building a program. If factors like these really mattered to major recruits then San Diego State would be a powerhouse instead of a WAC also-ran.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
ASU did make the most sense for Harden, he wouldn't have to fight it out for shots with Bayless/Budinger, Pondexter/Brockman, Mayo/Pruitt, or Collison/Love and he'd be the guy from Day 1. When you add in the comfort level of Pera and Glasser it was an easy decision.

But let's not start pretending guys of Harden's caliber care about girls, weather, or being part of building a program. If factors like these really mattered to major recruits then San Diego State would be a powerhouse instead of a WAC also-ran.

San Diego State = no exposure. I think weather, girls, things like that may be overemphasized, but I would be surprised if it didn't have some effect on recruits.

bko32

Registered
Reaction score
San Diego State = no exposure. I think weather, girls, things like that may be overemphasized, but I would be surprised if it didn't have some effect on recruits.

I can't imagine these things have much of an effect on top level recruits. If it did, players like Michael Beasley and Bill Walker wouldn't be going to Kansas State.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Floyd did the same thing when he got the USC job hiring Gib Arnold to get 3 players. He only got 2 of them and only one ever played, Ndiaye, he was a senior this year. Gib is now up for a couple of jobs in So Cal and the rumor is Floyd wants him to take one so he can hire another coach in Louisiana who just happens to coach the best junior prospect in the state.

They just signed Mammadou Diarra from Stoneridge Prep, same school Taj Gibson was at until his 3rd senior year in HS when he went to Calvary.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Weather and girls can be the icing on the cake. Exposure, playing time, and track record of developing players for the next level are the three biggest cherries to offer recruits to come to your school.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score

Hey buddy I was right about other things also...what male at the age of 18 doesn't want to see 30,000 18-22 year old girls every day? Wearing "summer clothing" 9 months a year walking around campus? Obviously it is correct that girls at any campus are an attraction...But 30,000?

Although, mao is quite correct about Pera. That probably is the main reason, that the kid chose ASU, which of course I mentioned earlier.

Another point that Mao made was about exposure. The Pac has a bad commissioner, who agrees to bad tv contracts. I hope we can get rid of Hansen soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort