Oct 1st Suns vs Kings @7pm

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I have no idea why but I temporarily spaced out on Ariza. Edited my post. ;)

Jackson at the 1 frees up minutes for Bridges as well. Hoping they at least experiment with it during the preseason. Can't be any worse than what they're running out their at PG currently.

stop it already....JJ at the point would be too good to be true.

no opposing point guard is going to guard him and it would free 25mm for a PF in 2019.

oh, in case it hasn't been mentioned, our current point guards suck..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One preseason game, mainstream. One preseason game. Give Anderson and Bridges at least one more chance buddy . . .

There is no choice but to keep giving these players chances.

I don't ask a lot of new additions except to flash once in awhile. I'm more concerned about Bridges than Anderson. There is no loss if Anderson does not work out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anderson is not a starting caliber player anymore. Houston didn't even think so after they started him for so many games alongside players who are much, much better than the Suns have to offer.

We have other options at the forward spot so doesn't make sense to start him at least imo.

It sure looks that way.

Anderson and Bender are quite the duo at power forward.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no choice but to keep giving these players chances.

I don't ask a lot of new additions except to flash once in awhile. I'm more concerned about Bridges than Anderson. There is no loss if Anderson does not work out.

I think people are expecting too much of bridges. gotta remember folks... there's a learning curve for ALL rookies, even ones that are "the most NBA ready".

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people are expecting too much of bridges. gotta remember folks... there's a learning curve for ALL rookies, even ones that are "the most NBA ready".

I will give Bridges his chance but it bothers me he cannot create his own shot and lacks better athleticism. I'm not sure if the Suns should have paid such a hefty price (two first round picks) for such a player. This is something we will need to revisit down the road.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I will give Bridges his chance but it bothers me he cannot create his own shot and lacks better athleticism. I'm not sure if the Suns should have paid such a hefty price (two first round picks) for such a player. This is something we will need to revisit down the road.
Those two items were widely acknowledged about Bridges prior to the draft. If you think he’s not as advertised it will be because his defense fails and he can’t shoot the three. Those were his calling cards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those two items were widely acknowledged about Bridges prior to the draft. If you think he’s not as advertised it will be because his defense fails and he can’t shoot the three. Those were his calling cards.

I do not know if Bridges is not as advertised. However, I'd like to see some flashes of his ability soon.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryan McDonough has a bad history in regards to trading up for players. He did it for Goodwin his first year, then Chriss few years later so now I hope Bridges doesn’t end up the third on that list.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know if Bridges is not as advertised. However, I'd like to see some flashes of his ability soon.

I've never been a fan of his but it's mostly a lack of familiarity on my part. I do know though that he's a player that entered college and looked totally overwhelmed but grew into one of the game's best. Perhaps he'll have similar growing pains in the NBA?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan McDonough has a bad history in regards to trading up for players. He did it for Goodwin his first year, then Chriss few years later so now I hope Bridges doesn’t end up the third on that list.

We didn't give up much for Goodwin, I have no problem with that deal. And I have no opinion (yet) on the trade for Bridges. Personally, I wouldn't fire McDonough at this time but if I were to do so, the trade for Chriss along with the drafting of Bender would be my primary motivation for doing so.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Besides Booker and Warren, McDonough is hanging his hat on this draft. It's like he whiffed on the 2016 draft entirely with three decent picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didn't give up much for Goodwin, I have no problem with that deal. And I have no opinion (yet) on the trade for Bridges. Personally, I wouldn't fire McDonough at this time but if I were to do so, the trade for Chriss along with the drafting of Bender would be my primary motivation for doing so.

I'd throw in trading for Knight as well. The Goodwin trade doesn't bother me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd throw in trading for Knight as well. The Goodwin trade doesn't bother me.

I don't hate the Knight trade as much as most do. It was a bad deal for us but it didn't seem unreasonable at the time even though we all hated losing what could have been a great pick. Still, I consider it a fairly normal swing and miss. The childish war of words with Goran and the failure to communicate to the twins along with the trade for Chriss are his biggest screw-ups IMO.

I think he's done some good things too but I really don't know how to rate him overall. If you think he's done a good job, fine, and if you think he should have been fired, I can't really dispute that either. But I see no value in firing him at this point in time. Once we started on this so-called timeline adventure I figure it's reasonable to let it play out for a few years barring a major misstep.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

but you're expecting something from him that he's not. He was looked at as a great 3 and D guy, but never as someone who can create for himself or leap off the floor. All of these strengths and weaknesses were known on draft day.

So, if you've got an issue with his playmaking/athletic abilities, seems like your issue should be with the guy who not only drafted him, but gave up considerable draft capital to do so.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but you're expecting something from him that he's not. He was looked at as a great 3 and D guy, but never as someone who can create for himself or leap off the floor. All of these strengths and weaknesses were known on draft day.

So, if you've got an issue with his playmaking/athletic abilities, seems like your issue should be with the guy who not only drafted him, but gave up considerable draft capital to do so.

This past summer I rescinded all free rides for McDonough. No more freebies.

As for Bridges, I will root for his success as I would any Suns player. As a fan, I want him to succeed. However, if a player hasn't shown me anything I'm going to say it. It's not like I have written him off.

The two Suns draft picks I am really high on are Ayton and Okobo.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. I would love to add a competent, not a star, point guard and then add KD next summer. Perfect combo. That could be a contending team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This past summer I rescinded all free rides for McDonough. No more freebies.

As for Bridges, I will root for his success as I would any Suns player. As a fan, I want him to succeed. However, if a player hasn't shown me anything I'm going to say it. It's not like I have written him off.

The two Suns draft picks I am really high on are Ayton and Okobo.

I know... I'm just saying expecting him to be something that he's not is just going to bum you out and doesn't seem super fair to the player.

I just want to see that kid eventually sticking open 3s and sticking like glue to opposing players. That's the guy we drafted. If he can't do either of those, then he deserves all the bashing he'd likely get.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't hate the Knight trade as much as most do. It was a bad deal for us but it didn't seem unreasonable at the time even though we all hated losing what could have been a great pick. Still, I consider it a fairly normal swing and miss. The childish war of words with Goran and the failure to communicate to the twins along with the trade for Chriss are his biggest screw-ups IMO.

I think he's done some good things too but I really don't know how to rate him overall. If you think he's done a good job, fine, and if you think he should have been fired, I can't really dispute that either. But I see no value in firing him at this point in time. Once we started on this so-called timeline adventure I figure it's reasonable to let it play out for a few years barring a major misstep.

I haven't said anything about firing McDonough. All I'm saying, he needs to show the Suns have turned the corner this season. With Ayton and Booker there is a huge chance of this happening. Earlier I gave McDonough a free ride so to speak to rebuild the Suns.

Now I expect results.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know... I'm just saying expecting him to be something that he's not is just going to bum you out and doesn't seem super fair to the player.

I just want to see that kid eventually sticking open 3s and sticking like glue to opposing players. That's the guy we drafted. If he can't do either of those, then he deserves all the bashing he'd likely get.

If Bridges does the above, I am going to be one very happy Suns fan.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It sure looks that way.

Anderson and Bender are quite the duo at power forward.

I see no reason we can't start Warren at forward, in some combination with Ariza or JJ (if he's not playing in the backcourt).

It's not like you are really losing anything defensively or rebounding wise vs. Anderson. And I'm not convinced that Anderson really even offers much as "stretch 4" that is all that advantageous over Warren's skill set.

I just have to shake my head at anyone penciling in Anderson as offering much of any value.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see no reason we can't start Warren at forward, in some combination with Ariza or JJ (if he's not playing in the backcourt).

It's not like you are really losing anything defensively or rebounding wise vs. Anderson. And I'm not convinced that Anderson really even offers much as "stretch 4" that is all that advantageous over Warren's skill set.

I just have to shake my head at anyone penciling in Anderson as offering much of any value.

Unless Anderson has something left in the tank, Bender and Anderson are looking like deep roster players.
So yes, starting Warren or anyone at PF is better than that. At this point I'm not counting on Bender for anything. The only thing about Warren, I think he is an ideal player coming off the bench.

I sometimes drool at the idea of playing Jackson at PF.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Unless Anderson has something left in the tank, Bender and Anderson are looking like deep roster players.
So yes, starting Warren or anyone at PF is better than that. At this point I'm not counting on Bender for anything. The only thing about Warren, I think he is an ideal player coming off the bench.

I sometimes drool at the idea of playing Jackson at PF.
What happened in the last day? It has been widely reported that Anderson will be our starting PF. Agree with that or not, but that doesn't say "deep roster player" to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen