Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they could swing that I’d be onboard. So no chance of it happening.

The Suns could waive and stretch Tyler Johnson or trade Warren and Josh Jackson to clear room for Russell.

They can match Oubre.

If the cards fall right they can draft Hunter or perhaps they can use the #32nd pick or the Bucks pick to move up.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns could waive and stretch Tyler Johnson or trade Warren and Josh Jackson to clear room for Russell.

They can match Oubre.

If the cards fall right they can draft Hunter or perhaps they can use the #32nd pick or the Bucks pick to move up.

So much would have to happen that’s out of the Suns control for that to become a reality. The Nets would need to land two max FA’s right away, Russell would need to be renounced, Russell would need to choose the Suns to sign an offer sheet over other interested teams and Oubre would have to wait for all of it so his cap hold stats below his first year salary. Not to mention the Suns clearing salary very quickly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So much would have to happen that’s out of the Suns control for that to become a reality. The Nets would need to land two max FA’s right away, Russell would need to be renounced, Russell would need to choose the Suns to sign an offer sheet over other interested teams and Oubre would have to wait for all of it so his cap hold stats below his first year salary. Not to mention the Suns clearing salary very quickly.
I would guess that people are hoping that if Brooklyn does sign Kyrie, then Russell won’t want to stay and will ask Brooklyn to not match or force some kind of trade.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nothing and I mean nothing is going to happen for the Suns. Whats the lineup going to be? Warren ,Bridges, Oubre, Ayton and Booker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Nothing and I mean nothing is going to happen for the Suns. Whats the lineup going to be? Warren ,Bridges, Oubre, Ayton and Booker.
1Sun is trading our whole roster and draft picks. We end up with Andrew Wiggens, Jabari Parker, Tim Hardaway, Jr., Chris Paul, Alex Len. :)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1Sun is trading our whole roster and draft picks. We end up with Andrew Wiggens, Jabari Parker, Tim Hardaway, Jr., Chris Paul, Alex Len. :)

My offseason would actually go something like this:

Trade Warren after July 6 for a draft pick, in order to clear cap space.

Sign Randle with our cap space.

Sign Collison with the MLE.

Draft Hunter at 6.

Draft whoever is left of Jerome, Williams, Paschall, Okeke or Reid at 32.

Re-sign Oubre with Bird rights to go over the cap.

Re-sign Holmes, or else pick up whomever we can as a back-up big, if Holmes signs elsewhere.

Resulting starting line-up:

Collison
Booker
Oubre
Randle
Ayton

Bench:

Bridges
Jackson
Hunter
Johnson
Okobo
Melton
Pick #32
Back-Up Big (Holmes or someone else)

Add a couple of developmental bigs, and I think this is about the best we could do.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My offseason would actually go something like this:

Trade Warren after July 6 for a draft pick, in order to clear cap space.

Sign Randle with our cap space.

Sign Collison with the MLE.

Draft Hunter at 6.

Draft whoever is left of Jerome, Williams, Paschall, Okeke or Reid at 32.

Re-sign Oubre with Bird rights to go over the cap.

Re-sign Holmes, or else pick up whomever we can as a back-up big, if Holmes signs elsewhere.

Resulting starting line-up:

Collison
Booker
Oubre
Randle
Ayton

Bench:

Bridges
Jackson
Hunter
Johnson
Okobo
Melton
Pick #32
Back-Up Big (Holmes or someone else)

Add a couple of developmental bigs, and I think this is about the best we could do.
This seems reasonable. Probably the best we can do. I am hoping for something like this, but I am thinking it won't go this well.

I was looking at playoff rosters, and we are way lacking in PF and Center bigs on our roster at the moment. Aside from PG as probably our biggest need, there has to be a lot of additions just to get us to average in bigs on roster. Basically, without picking names, it's upgrade PG and add bigs for my minimal success for the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot of things would have to go right for sure.

If the Suns waived and stretched Tyler Johnson, they could create salary space for Russell quickly but Oubre's agent would have to be a part of the Suns plans on delaying his signing. Also things would have to fall right in the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero interest in a 32 year old Collison. I'd much rather have Dinwiddie, at least he can pretend to play defense. I'd re-sign Oubre and Holmes (depending on cost). I'd offer the 6 and the 32 to New Jersey for Dinwiddie plus the 17 and the 27 and if that didn't get it done I'd add a highly protected future pick (or substitute for the 32nd if they preferred). While player names are not carved in stone, I'd then use 17 and 27 on Nickeil Alexander-Walker and somebody like Nicolas Claxton or Luka Samanic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero interest in a 32 year old Collison. I'd much rather have Dinwiddie, at least he can pretend to play defense. I'd re-sign Oubre and Holmes (depending on cost). I'd offer the 6 and the 32 to New Jersey for Dinwiddie plus the 17 and the 27 and if that didn't get it done I'd add a highly protected future pick (or substitute for the 32nd if they preferred). While player names are not carved in stone, I'd then use 17 and 27 on Nickeil Alexander-Walker and somebody like Nicolas Claxton or Luka Samanic.

It's very interesting. I like the idea of trading down in this draft for more picks and adding a point guard in the same move.

Are you thinking Alexander-Walker can become a combo guard?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I could get behind that, but then the reports that the Suns are not interested in trading for Dinwiddie would have to be false, plus if the Nets sign Kyrie and Russell walks, the Nets will likely keep Dinwiddie, anyway. Samanic screams Dragan Bender to me, so I would avoid him. In your scenario, I would take Reid, Okeke, Williams or Paschall at 27. Does your scenario also have us trading Warren and signing Randall, or does it have us use the MLE for someone like Thaddeus Young?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's very interesting. I like the idea of trading down in this draft for more picks and adding a point guard in the same move.

Are you thinking Alexander-Walker can become a combo guard?

Alexander-Walker IS a combo guard in the mold of SGA. I actually prefer him over Culver as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alexander-Walker IS a combo guard in the mold of SGA. I actually prefer him over Culver as well.

He had been off my radar but when I saw his video, he immediately reminded me of Sha. It's hard to believe he would fall to #17. I would even consider him at #6.

It's great to have another player to consider.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

I just watched video of Alexander-Walker. He reminds me of Shai. I could get excited about this.

Shai is his cousin and yeah, there are similarities. I don't think he defends the point as well as Shai but he has positional flexibility and should play well alongside Booker and Bridges.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could get behind that, but then the reports that the Suns are not interested in trading for Dinwiddie would have to be false, plus if the Nets sign Kyrie and Russell walks, the Nets will likely keep Dinwiddie, anyway. Samanic screams Dragan Bender to me, so I would avoid him. In your scenario, I would take Reid, Okeke, Williams or Paschall at 27. Does your scenario also have us trading Warren and signing Randall, or does it have us use the MLE for someone like Thaddeus Young?

I think those reports were that we wouldn't trade the 6 for Dinwiddie and we shouldn't, even in this weak draft that's an overpay. Samanic is a risk but he's further along than Bender was and there will be far less pressure on a player drafted late in the round as opposed to 4th. Besides, Bender has the physical gifts to become a plus player; it's only his experience, maturity and confidence (plus maybe work ethic) that's held him back IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shai is his cousin and yeah, there are similarities. I don't think he defends the point as well as Shai but he has positional flexibility and should play well alongside Booker and Bridges.

I guess this seals the deal. I couldn't get Shai in the last draft so I will take his cousin. :cool:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think those reports were that we wouldn't trade the 6 for Dinwiddie and we shouldn't, even in this weak draft that's an overpay.

I totally agree. That #6 pick could be the next Dragon Bender.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard