Nugent in Gonzalez out

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure we can. We can want him to consider the situation more rather than just automatically go for it. There is a happy medium to be found.

Exactly my point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol no he doesn't. His 4th down decisions are always early in the game when he has plenty of time to claw it back or when we are getting whipped and he has nothing to lose.

When it's in actual crunch time he's the exact opposite. Can barely get him to try anything explosive to win the game. He's all B gap runs and 3 yard passes.

If we're tied or down by 3 I guarantee you he plays for the FG every time, no matter how long is left on the clock.

Lol. Yes he does.

This game is fun.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me here or not. KK certainly takes more risks by not kicking FGs than Wilks does. :shrug:

KK gets creative and fans say he shouldn't be cute and should just run something more traditional. He has tried end arounds, RPO options, WR screens etc. He does that and we say, why doesn't our 5'10" QB sneak it in. Like I said. If you don't like the guy and are looking for excuses, you can find one. Even with our struggles, we are the #3 red one offense in the NFL, and you'd think by the reaction here, we were bottom 3.

I do like how he goes for it on 4th a lot - and I don't think it has anything to do with who our kicker is.

I just don't get how he flips a switch and goes full conservative when things are working and we are moving the ball - like Wilks did in my example. It's infuriating to see. Stick with what's working. Like when we get the ball back late in a game with a lead - you know we'll do a quick three and out and burn like 40 seconds off the clock rather than pick up first downs like we had been doing before. SMH.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, Zane lost us the game kicking for a TIE from 49 yards after two crap drives, with Miami getting the ball back with 1:58 on the clock.

We do have a couple of the best receivers in the game on our roster, right? :shrug:

In that Miami game we suddenly went all Edmonds, Foster, and Murray and only one pass to Hopkins - and turned it over on downs. SMH.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We do have a couple of the best receivers in the game on our roster, right? :shrug:

In that Miami game we suddenly went all Edmonds, Foster, and Murray and only one pass to Hopkins - and turned it over on downs. SMH.

As I said earlier in this thread. 15 plays the last 2 drives and only 4 pass attempts. The 4 passes attempts went for more that the 11 runs and one of them was the incomplete pass to Kirk that led to the FG.

And before anyone says "running off clock". You run off clock when you are winning. The 2nd to last drive was a 6 minute drive that went 33 yards and took 6 minutes while we were tying. A 6 minute drive while tying that went 33 yards and people think Zane lost the game...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, Zane lost us the game kicking for a TIE from 49 yards after two crap drives, with Miami getting the ball back with 1:58 on the clock.
Yup, pretty much sucked the air out of the game right there. I’m not the blaming the Kliff nor Kyler after putting up 30+ Points against the #1 scoring D at the time. Nah.

Vance & Zane were the two main culprits for that loss & it’s quite obvious.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much sucked the air out of the game right there. I’m not the blaming the Kliff nor Kyler after putting up 30+ Points against the #1 scoring D at the time. Nah.

Vance & Zane were the two main culprits for that loss & it’s quite obvious.

A 6 minute drive that went only 33 yards and gave them the ball on their 40 due to a turnover on downs from which they then kick a FG sucked the air out of the game.

If you want to look at overall then yes, Vance was the biggest component, but in Q4 going for the win that's what killed us.