'nother dumb Q: CD/DVD

AZZenny

Reaction score
OK, now looking at a possible new computer, and my computer guy says 'we'll just get a good DVD-RW drive, you don't need a separate CD-RW drive.' (comes with computer: Plextor PX-810SA 18X Dual Layer DVD Rewriter -- of course I could upgrade if appropriate.)

Since cruddy upload and download music quality with the current Dell is what got me started on this roundabout quest, I really want your most valued opinion(s). :notworthy

I have a bunch of classical CDs that just aren't out there in MP-3 format for download (and why pay twice?) and when I want to put them on my i-pod, the existing CD drive produces little staticky moments. Likewise, when I want to burn a CD from music I've dowloaded -- little moments of static-fuzz. Or if I just play it over the speakers. So it appears to be a CD Drive problem.

The audio quality of upload/download/play is important in this case, and I'm assuming there is a subtle difference or else there wouldn't be both CD and DVD drives. I tried looking for info online, but either it was so simple it didn't address quality issues, or so technical I didn't understand it.

I know there are combo drives, but are they really as good at either task?

Am I, as usual, making this much harder than it needs to be?

Thanks

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The short answer is yes, a good DVD-RW drive will be just fine for ripping your CDs to the computer. Static can usually be caused by one of two culprits: the setting of your audio quality on your ripping software (itunes, windows media player, or whatever else you use) is set too low, or the writing speed on your software is set too high if burning a CD.

Sometimes, the default audio quality will be set to 128kbps, which can be too low for some types of music and produce static. When I rip my CDs, I put the setting to 256kbps (and true audiophiles will go even fancier, but most people can't really tell the difference). Also, I set the write speed to be a notch or two below what my drive is rated at (so if my drive is 40x, I'd probably set it to 32x or 16x). That means that burning a CD will take longer, but there is a less chance for static or other errors.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The short answer is yes, a good DVD-RW drive will be just fine for ripping your CDs to the computer. Static can usually be caused by one of two culprits: the setting of your audio quality on your ripping software (itunes, windows media player, or whatever else you use) is set too low, or the writing speed on your software is set too high if burning a CD.

Sometimes, the default audio quality will be set to 128kbps, which can be too low for some types of music and produce static. When I rip my CDs, I put the setting to 256kbps (and true audiophiles will go even fancier, but most people can't really tell the difference). Also, I set the write speed to be a notch or two below what my drive is rated at (so if my drive is 40x, I'd probably set it to 32x or 16x). That means that burning a CD will take longer, but there is a less chance for static or other errors.

Pretty good answer. I approve this message.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Any recommendations what to get/look for in a DVD Drive, then?

And... Bruce rolled his eyes when I said, "how about a quad-core instead of a dual-core?" and said, "It's a desktop home computer, not a server. Really."

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Any recommendations what to get/look for in a DVD Drive, then?

And... Bruce rolled his eyes when I said, "how about a quad-core instead of a dual-core?" and said, "It's a desktop home computer, not a server. Really."
After looking up the model number you gave, I'd stick with the Plextor drive, personally. As for quad vs. dual, the quad core is probably overkill. Most wouldn't be able to notice much difference in home applications to justify the price. Stay away from the Pentium D dual cores (although I think those are only offered with Dell's lowest systems), go with the Core 2 Duos.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree, nothing at a home user level even has the capability to use a quad-core efficiently at this point. This will probably become more common the future.... If you are savvy you can assign programs to utilize a specific core, but I've messed with it and have had mixed results

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Thanks! I can't tell you how much I appreciate getting your insights and input on these kinds of things.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pretty good answer. I approve this message.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, nothing at a home user level even has the capability to use a quad-core efficiently at this point. This will probably become more common the future.... If you are savvy you can assign programs to utilize a specific core, but I've messed with it and have had mixed results

That because you haven't seen my home :)