Northern Colorado backup punter stabs starter....

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roughing the kicker: UNC backup accused of stabbing his competition for starting spot

In a bizarre string of events, the University of Northern Colorado's reserve punter lost any chance to kick on the field this year after an attack on the team's first-stringer.

Mitch Cozad faces charges of second-degree assault after being arrested by the Evans Police Department on Tuesday night on accusations that he stabbed Rafael Mendoza in his kicking leg on Monday night.

Mendoza, a 5-foot-11, 210-pound junior from Thornton, was treated and released from North Colorado Medical Center on Monday night.

Cozad, a sophomore from Wheatland, Wyo., transferred to UNC from the University of Wyoming and was in a three-way battle for the starting punting position with Mendoza and freshman Zak Bigelow in preseason drills.

Lt. Gary Kessler of the Evans Police Department said the incident took place in a parking lot in the 2700 block of Crescent Cove Drive.

A university employee associated with the athletic department who asked to remain anonymous, indicated that Cozad, who was wearing a hood over his head, attacked Mendoza from behind, stabbing him in his right leg between the buttocks and his hamstring.

Mendoza, 21, struggled with Cozad, who fled the scene in his car. After being identified by a witness, Cozad, 21, was contacted and questioned by Evans police.

UNC athletic department officials suspended Cozad from the football team Tuesday morning.

He was evicted from Turner Hall on Tuesday afternoon, and later, he was expelled from school.

Athletic director Jay Hinrichs explained that school officials decided to act swiftly and are awaiting the police investigation.

Cozad was booked into Weld County Jail after being arrested at 6 p.m. Cozad will have a bond hearing today.

UNC first-year head coach Scott Downing instructed his players not to speak to anybody about the situation.

"We're dealing with it the best we can," Downing said. "I found out about it (Monday) night as the police started to investigate it."

Downing said Mendoza will not punt for the Bears in Saturday's nonconference game at Texas State University.

"I don't know how long he'll be out because I haven't talked to the doctor," Downing said.

Downing auditioned several players Tuesday afternoon to handle the punting chores, including Bigelow.

"Along with Zak Bigelow, David Dyches and Michael York can also punt," Downing said.

Dyches is the team's starting place-kicker, and York is a reserve place-kicker.

"Jason Hildenbrand (a starting cornerback) is also an excellent punter," Downing said. "The bad part is that Mendoza was really starting to come around."

In the Bears' two games this season, Mendoza was averaging 37.6 yards-per-punt on nine punts.

Downing was unsure how long Mendoza would be out, and he explained he wouldn't name a replacement until later this week.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
:eek:

I don't get the logic behind this one. "I'll stab the starter so I can start!"

:doi: