No UofA vs Virginia?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Didn't see the game, had a prior obligation.

I knew the game would be close, but experience won it in the end so I've been told. Singeltary made the plays a senior AA should make while Bayless, Hill, and co. made youthful mistakes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Didn't see the game, had a prior obligation.

I knew the game would be close, but experience won it in the end so I've been told. Singeltary made the plays a senior AA should make while Bayless, Hill, and co. made youthful mistakes.

your sig never gets old to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why didn't horne play?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching tonight's game against UMKC, the Cats look horrible. I know they are very young(3 freshmen, 2 sophomores and two seniors) but they look like crap. Kevin O'Neill is showing right now that he is not going to replace Lute.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching tonight's game against UMKC, the Cats look horrible. I know they are very young(3 freshmen, 2 sophomores and two seniors) but they look like crap. Kevin O'Neill is showing right now that he is not going to replace Lute.

Beat UMKC four points better than NAU, four points worse than KU.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beat UMKC four points better than NAU, four points worse than KU.

The Cats have talent but they are young. They will improve but will they do it fast enough? They need Fendi to get healthy. He will help crash the glass.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cats have talent but they are young. They will improve but will they do it fast enough? They need Fendi to get healthy. He will help crash the glass.

Arizona takes on Adams State next, a team NAU beat by 13. Then on to Kansas, after NAU plays them.

Interestingly enough, of NAU and U of A's first 5 games, three are against the same teams (Adams St, Kansas and UMKC), one against each other, with only one different (VA for UA, MVSU for NAU).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That's because Arizona and NAU are participating in some tournament for Kansas (can't remember the name) whose sole intention was to have Arizona and Kansas play at Phog this weekend.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
More LLP, less Wise.

And Chase Budinger makes Channing Frye look like Ben Wallace. Talk about soft, that kid's got a long way to go before he becomes a legit NBA prospect. Have no clue why Ben Howland wanted him so bad.

OP
OP
DWKB

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's because Arizona and NAU are participating in some tournament for Kansas (can't remember the name) whose sole intention was to have Arizona and Kansas play at Phog this weekend.

No, NAU isn't in the tournament. It's the Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series. Just like the Big 10/ACC. Pretty sure NAU is just a OOC schedule filler.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More LLP, less Wise.

And Chase Budinger makes Channing Frye look like Ben Wallace. Talk about soft, that kid's got a long way to go before he becomes a legit NBA prospect. Have no clue why Ben Howland wanted him so bad.

I think because he's athletic and can shoot but I do agree he's too soft right now.

There was a thread on a UA board over a month ago that had posts that were allegedly from Trent Suzuki. It got reposted on a bunch of UCLA boards before it got deleted and everyone swears Suzuki was the poster. He basically said that he advised Chase to go to UA not UCLA because people he knew close to Howland told him if Chase goes to UCLA he won't play very much. Howland values defense above all else, and he will not play Chase and let him learn defense on the court, he'll sit him until he can play it.

I find it a bit hard to believe because he's doing just that this year with Love, they've even played offense/defense with Love and Mata-Real in the MSU game he kept pulling Kevin on defense.

But there's no question Ben absolutely coveted Chase so I seriously doubt if he would have done that had he not intended to play him. He's even playing dragovic this year due to injuries and Nikola makes Chase look like Michael Cooper on defense.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That's UCLA posturing, Chase would've played for the Bruins as the thing he does well (offense) only came here and there for last year's Bruins. You don't think Howland would've loved bringing Chase off the bench whenever Arron Afflalo did his normal disappearing act against a good defender?

My question as to why Howland recruited him was because Chase is not a Howland player. He's doesn't play defense and is not very physical and this has been known since high school. He went to Arizona because at that point Ben Howland had never produced an impact NBA player where Lute's track record speaks for itself. No matter how vital defense is, NBA GM's still look at the ability to put the ball in the basket over everything else and at Arizona you'll learn how to get that done at the NBA level.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's UCLA posturing, Chase would've played for the Bruins as the thing he does well (offense) only came here and there for last year's Bruins. You don't think Howland would've loved bringing Chase off the bench whenever Arron Afflalo did his normal disappearing act against a good defender?

My question as to why Howland recruited him was because Chase is not a Howland player. He's doesn't play defense and is not very physical and this has been known since high school. He went to Arizona because at that point Ben Howland had never produced an impact NBA player where Lute's track record speaks for itself. No matter how vital defense is, NBA GM's still look at the ability to put the ball in the basket over everything else and at Arizona you'll learn how to get that done at the NBA level.

The posts were on a UA board and allegedly from Trent Suzuki so it wasn't UCLA posturing. Most UCLA fans laughed, of course Ben would have played him, he wouldn't have recruited him that heavily if he didn't think he could play for him?

The UCLA posturing was always that Chase chose UA because he didn't want to play defense and knew he could get away with it at UA not UCLA. My take on that was always if that was true, why even consider UCLA? I'm sure he liked the volleyball situation and I'm sure like Love, he realized defense was his weakness and Howland could help him with it. In the end I think he chose UA because he felt their style of offense suited him better, Howland was playing a lot of half court sets and he wanted to run. UCLA has opened it up this year.

I would have loved to have Chase, still wish he was a Bruin, but it is true he's a soft player. I just think the alleged Suzuki posts were comical, they were basically saying UCLA's primary target last year was a guy Howland never planned to play? We haven't reached the point yet where UCLA can recruit kids just to make sure they don't go to a competitor, Ben recruits kids he wants.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson