Niners home game looks like old SDS days.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More empty chairs than full ones based on the stadium shots. I guess they could still be tailgating?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been in the 90's and even 100's there recently from my friends posting on FB so you'd think 87 would be a nice day.

That stadium has so many issues it's amazing. The stadium is on Tasman Blvd, just after you cross over Lawrence Expwy it goes from Sunnyvale, to Santa Clara, so the stadium is in Santa Clara damn near on the Sunnyvale border. I used to live right off Tasman and we had no issues with getting in and out on event days because we were in Sunnyvale. Apparently that has since changed to where there is a major disconnect between the Santa Clara police and the Sunnyvale Police. There's a mobile home park 2 blocks from where I lived that has only 1 entrance, it has 2 exits but one entrance.

Somehow the Sunnyvale Police started blocking off that entrance on event days, cars were being rerouted all over the place only to be told when they got to the entrance, they could not enter. This finally got some attention when the local news caught wind of it and did a story on tv, they had a reporter ride along with someone who lives there to prove on camera that people who owned houses there were not being allowed to get into their park.

They've now fixed that but apparently there are several legal issues that were just outright being ignored and there's going to be some legal action taken. The City of sunnyvale said they were following the direction of the Santa clara police, which makes no sense to me but it sounds like it's going to end up being just the latest black eye for the stadium.

Add in the attendance woes and what a disaster. The people who live there are lucky that Apple is building a 2nd new campus in Sunnyvale not far from the stadium. The stadium added value to houses when it opened but that's worn off, but now the Apple building is adding value instead.

I have 3 friends who are selling their 49ers tickets essentially for the whole season on FB and having a very tough time finding buyers.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
It's been in the 90's and even 100's there recently from my friends posting on FB so you'd think 87 would be a nice day.

That stadium has so many issues it's amazing. The stadium is on Tasman Blvd, just after you cross over Lawrence Expwy it goes from Sunnyvale, to Santa Clara, so the stadium is in Santa Clara damn near on the Sunnyvale border. I used to live right off Tasman and we had no issues with getting in and out on event days because we were in Sunnyvale. Apparently that has since changed to where there is a major disconnect between the Santa Clara police and the Sunnyvale Police. There's a mobile home park 2 blocks from where I lived that has only 1 entrance, it has 2 exits but one entrance.

Somehow the Sunnyvale Police started blocking off that entrance on event days, cars were being rerouted all over the place only to be told when they got to the entrance, they could not enter. This finally got some attention when the local news caught wind of it and did a story on tv, they had a reporter ride along with someone who lives there to prove on camera that people who owned houses there were not being allowed to get into their park.

They've now fixed that but apparently there are several legal issues that were just outright being ignored and there's going to be some legal action taken. The City of sunnyvale said they were following the direction of the Santa clara police, which makes no sense to me but it sounds like it's going to end up being just the latest black eye for the stadium.

Add in the attendance woes and what a disaster. The people who live there are lucky that Apple is building a 2nd new campus in Sunnyvale not far from the stadium. The stadium added value to houses when it opened but that's worn off, but now the Apple building is adding value instead.

I have 3 friends who are selling their 49ers tickets essentially for the whole season on FB and having a very tough time finding buyers.

It sure is an awesome stadium to commute to. I live in Mountain View and can get all the way to my doorstep 20 minutes after the game ends with the light rail. From the light rail you can connect to the train and get all the way to SF in about an hour. It is just not made for tailgating. Way to much traffic around here for that. Leaving in a car is still a 2-3 hour exit.

I like the stadium (especially seeing Cardinals jerseys in it!). The food is excellent -- best I have had at any venue by a long shot. The stadium is warm on a sunny day, but the fans will deal with it if the team is doing better. I have no doubt the stadium will be a big hit once the product on the field improves.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What are ticket prices like there?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
They did that when our new stadium opened up. They blocked of the neighborhood streets and had police there. I went to pull in to park for the very first regular season game played there and I told them I was going to park at my sisters house. He then pulled out a spread sheet of all the names in the neighborhood, and asked me her name. I told him the name and he told me she's not on the list, so I said try her husbands name, and he told me just go ahead.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Recently read an article that addressed this very thing. Apparently the NFL is concerned that there are a ton of empty seats at Charger, Ram, and 49er games. Sounds like a California problem to me. Then maybe again it's a sucky team problem. When I was watching Red Zone Sunday, you couldn't help but notice the number of empty seats in SF. It looked like the place was over half empty.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure is an awesome stadium to commute to. I live in Mountain View and can get all the way to my doorstep 20 minutes after the game ends with the light rail. From the light rail you can connect to the train and get all the way to SF in about an hour. It is just not made for tailgating. Way to much traffic around here for that. Leaving in a car is still a 2-3 hour exit.

I like the stadium (especially seeing Cardinals jerseys in it!). The food is excellent -- best I have had at any venue by a long shot. The stadium is warm on a sunny day, but the fans will deal with it if the team is doing better. I have no doubt the stadium will be a big hit once the product on the field improves.

Yeah I'm sure it's great by Cal Train and yes the food is supposed to be great, very expensive but great.

I do agree if SF gets better more fans will come but right now the new stadium has been a failure for football, apparently doing very well for concerts etc.

People that live around it are not happy, the traffic and parking issues have been much worse than the City expected and are not going away. The hotels loved it the first 2 years, jacked up the rates near game days and made a killing, can't do it now not nearly enough people coming in. People were getting hotels so they could walk to the games and avoid the traffic hassles, the hotels made that too expensive. Now that's not happening.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I drove by the new 49r's Stadium a few years ago, as I was following my Google maps.. I thought for sure it was giving me a bogus route, It looked like an area where you'd find an Auto Body shop, not a new NFL stadium.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Pereira‏Verified account@MikePereira 3m3 minutes ago

Always find stats interesting...What do the 49ers and Bengals kickers have in common? They are perfect kicking extra points. 0-0.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove by the new 49r's Stadium a few years ago, as I was following my Google maps.. I thought for sure it was giving me a bogus route, It looked like an area where you'd find an Auto Body shop, not a new NFL stadium.

Really? It's on a pretty main street, Tasman runs quite a ways up and most of Tasman is office buildings. At one end there's a bunch of apartments and then a few mobile home parks. THen you cross over Lawrence and there's one very small stretch that's a mix of some industrial and mostly offices. Tesla now has a big building there(doesn't say Tesla). My company at the time was moving and we bid on that building and lost out to what eventually turned out to be Tesla.

The actual stadium is across from the Santa Clara Convention center and near 2 large hotels, a Hilton and a Hyatt Regency.

What always made it weird to me was that it was not in one of those big open lot type setups, it's right off 237 and near other major freeways with office and housing right around it. For ages people have complained about proposed stadiums and the standard complaint has always been stadiums lead to blight and bad neighborhoods, look at where the Warriors and Raiders(and A's) play, look at the area around Candlestick Park etc. And the correct answer has always been you have missed the chicken and egg, the reason the areas around those stadiums are "bad" is because they put stadiums where the land is cheap and available, and that tends to be in bad areas. That is the stadium didn't cause that, it was already there when they built the stadium.

Levis is sort of opposite they put a stadium in what was an existing and established area that had some big open soccer fields and the 49ers practice facility and Great America. The combo gave them enough space for a stadium and parking. The problem is it was already a fairly high traffic area with all those companies there during the week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only on cable. On the smallest network they use.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

True but the NFL isn't going to be happy. I actually don't currently have NFLN, it's probably on local tv too here in Elk Grove I didn't even bother to look. I did see the news this morning and they were speculating that it was going to be a small turnout and the 49ers expect to hear from the NFL about it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
National TV is sunday night football, last weeks TV-only audience averaged 24.2 million.

NFL network game last night? 6 Million.

SNF is the only national game technically, MNF is slightly right behind it but is a cable only audience however most anyone with cable has ESPN, not the case with NFLN.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
National TV is sunday night football, last weeks TV-only audience averaged 24.2 million.

NFL network game last night? 6 Million.

SNF is the only national game technically, MNF is slightly right behind it but is a cable only audience however most anyone with cable has ESPN, not the case with NFLN.
Wasn't last nights game the first one they streamed on Yahoo? If so, I wonder if they can track how many people steamed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't last nights game the first one they streamed on Yahoo? If so, I wonder if they can track how many people steamed.

I did not any stream available for that game except for illegal ones. Streaming can be tracked as it is for other games that stream to amazon, twitter or etc.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really? It's on a pretty main street, Tasman runs quite a ways up and most of Tasman is office buildings. At one end there's a bunch of apartments and then a few mobile home parks. THen you cross over Lawrence and there's one very small stretch that's a mix of some industrial and mostly offices. Tesla now has a big building there(doesn't say Tesla). My company at the time was moving and we bid on that building and lost out to what eventually turned out to be Tesla.

Yep, that was my only impression as I was driving to it.... I've been to 9 NFL stadiums, and when I was driving to that one.... It seemed more like I was looking for a welder or an auto body shop.... Right up until it slapped me in the face. :p

Never had that feeling going to any other NFL venue.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison