Nick Johnson commits to the Cats

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turner's is an interesting development as NJ will be there to help with the recruiting pitch. Although it could backfire if he does not commit that weekend and takes visits to KU & UO where the atmosphere of KU on Phog Night and the facilities of UO could be hard to compete with.

Oregon and Louisville sort of came out of nowhere with Turner they weren't there for a LONG time. I had read he dropped UCONN because of the NCAA stuff they have going on, the link above says he might or might not visit UCONN. Also says he might not visit Oregon.

I've felt for awhile now he's going to KU but after that article you have to think UA is now leading. Would be a great pickup for UA, I really like him, not a big Johnson fan but I think Turner is a guy who will be one of the best freshmen in the conference and an all Pac 10 player as a soph, really good.

If you'd told me even 3 weeks ago that Kansas wouldn't get any of the 2011 kids on Drew Gooden Soldiers I wouldn't have believed it, but it's now looking like that might be the case.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It looks like Turner will be attending the UofA.

Now now, the enthuisim is cool but his recruitment ain't over till that LOI is signed. The reports that we made his Top 5 are encouraging but there is no telling where this kid's heart is, he could pull a Terrence Jones for all we know.

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
Now now, the enthuisim is cool but his recruitment ain't over till that LOI is signed. The reports that we made his Top 5 are encouraging but there is no telling where this kid's heart is, he could pull a Terrence Jones for all we know.

I know some sources that not only interviewed Turner, but they also interviewed his mom. You are right about the LOI, that is what will make it official.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UA has a great chance but it's not a done deal yet.

Yep but I think they lead now and that's a new development.

Turner is a terrific talent, would be a hell of a get for UA and the kind of kid you want to stay in the Pac 10.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI looks like UCONN is officially out for Josiah Turner. I said I'd heard rumors he was dropping them and this story probably explains why.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...holarships?urn=ncaab-266193#remaining-content

Apparently UCONN will announce their response to the NCAA allegations on Friday and according to recruit Angelo Chol, they're going to voluntarily give up scholarships as part of self penalties they're going to take ala USC basketball.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey Russ, have you heard any rumblings lately about Ashley, a poster on UA Rivals site claims to work closely with the Drew Gooden Soldiers and claims Ashley has UA as his favorite and that CAL the long time favorite by most recruiting experts is in danger of being dropped from his list. Can you validate this claim, great news for UA if true and makes it seem that a Josiah Turner commitment is very possible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Russ, have you heard any rumblings lately about Ashley, a poster on UA Rivals site claims to work closely with the Drew Gooden Soldiers and claims Ashley has UA as his favorite and that CAL the long time favorite by most recruiting experts is in danger of being dropped from his list. Can you validate this claim, great news for UA if true and makes it seem that a Josiah Turner commitment is very possible.

Don't have any inside on Ashley. I do know this, Cal fans think they lead, Kansas fans think they lead, and apparently UA fans think they lead.

UCLA wants him too, and his teammate Longrus, but UCLA also covets Grant Jerrett and it's thought those 2 are mutually exclusive.

You've probably heard but Turner cancelled UCONN and added a visit to UCLA which has spurred rumors UCLA is suddenly back in the hunt for Turner. I'll believe it when I see it, but would be great if true.

I really like Ashley, he's filling out he was really skinny but he's starting to fill out and his coordination is catching up to his body, he's athletic and as he fills out he looks like he'll be a real good player. Has terrific footwork and uses either hand easily, really talented kid. He'd be a great get for anybody and I hope he stays in the Pac 10, it's been suggested it would be really bad for Montgomery if he fails to get Ashley because as you said it was widely believed they led for him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once Turner left Pump & Run I don't think UCLA was a factor. You never know of course.

That was certainly a sign although Turner actually was going to leave Oakland Soldiers this summer too but changed his mind. It was a sure enough thing that he actually told reporters he was probably going to change AAU teams and might be playing for Pump and Run again, just never happened. Bill Paterson reported it in the Sac Bee twice, even Turner's mom confirmed they were considering a change.

I think Turner is still likely going to end up at UA and as a UCLA fan that will suck, but I'll be glad he stays in the Pac 10. But given he added UCLA as a visit I at least now have some hope he might be a Bruin, before he added that visit I'd resigned myself that there was zero chance he wound up at UCLA.

I'd rather be in UA's shoes with him right now than in UCLA's.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nick J = Baller

Anyone else see him dominate Yates on TV last night? Arguably the best player on the best high school team in the country ain't too shabby. He probably cemented a McD's AA spot last night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nick Johnson was one of the best on the court. Some have said he can't really shoot but his stroke looked pretty good to me. He and Turner are going to make a big impact next year.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nick Johnson was one of the best on the court. Some have said he can't really shoot but his stroke looked pretty good to me. He and Turner are going to make a big impact next year.
Both of them would probably start right now for UA. UofA Hoops is going to be ridiculous next year, which comes not a minute too soon considering the slow implosion the football program is going through.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison