NFL Veteran Combine - 3/22/15 at the Cardinals' Training Facility

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL to host veteran combine for free agents in March

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ost-veteran-combine-for-free-agents-in-march/

With the emergence of regional combines which allow through-the-cracks rookies to get a chance before NFL scouts, the NFL has now decided to offer veterans the same chance.

The league sent out a memo to teams, which PFT has obtained a copy of, which outlines their plan for the first Veteran Combine on March 22.

The event will allow veteran free agents to go through the same kinds of drills and testing draft prospects go through in Indianapolis, with representatives of all 32 clubs on hand.

--------------------------------------------

NFL Announces New Veteran Free Agent Scouting Combine

http://www.hngn.com/articles/60752/...s-new-veteran-free-agent-scouting-combine.htm

Players will apply with the league on a website and approximately 100 will be chosen to appear at the event held in Arizona at the Cardinals' training facility, prior to the owner's meetings in Phoenix, Gantt writes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great idea.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how actually shows up.

+1. Good for NFL teams, bad for players, it could end up costing them money if they test poorly. What would guys like Orapko, Hughes, Iuapati, etc gain by going through the drills? What if someone gets hurt? They'd be screwed out of a new contract.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
+1. Good for NFL teams, bad for players, it could end up costing them money if they test poorly. What would guys like Orapko, Hughes, Iuapati, etc gain by going through the drills? What if someone gets hurt? They'd be screwed out of a new contract.

I don't think it would me more for high end free agents, rather more for vets that were cut and maybe weren't signed to another team...and our now looking to get back with a team...could also be for older vets that are close to retirement, but are in that year to year phase of their careers, and want to show teams they still have some juice left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Probably won't see a lot of well known names. More of a media/sponsorship/"keep the brand name out there" move by the NFL. It will give young veteran players who may not have been invited to the rookie combine in Indianapolis a chance to impress, or players that had trouble making a squad with pads on that feel their game has dramatically improved while wearing just underwear.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't think it would me more for high end free agents, rather more for vets that were cut and maybe weren't signed to another team...and our now looking to get back with a team...could also be for older vets that are close to retirement, but are in that year to year phase of their careers, and want to show teams they still have some juice left.

I see this as something for a vet like Josh Freeman, he wasn't on a roster last year and could prove at a workout he still has the skills that got him on a roster in the first place. I doubt it would be for the in demand free agents or even the older vets--more so the guys who were not on a roster when the season ended and are young enough to feel they still deserve another shot.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This.

Like hightower.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
NFL just keeps finding ways to print money.

This just targets younger players who have been buried on depth charts and cut. Vets aren't going to do it, and premier FAs won't have to. Much ado about nothing IMO. Maybe guys coming off injury will, but I'm not too sure how that really benefits them.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This just targets younger players who have been buried on depth charts and cut. Vets aren't going to do it, and premier FAs won't have to. Much ado about nothing IMO. Maybe guys coming off injury will, but I'm not too sure how that really benefits them.

Levi brown could show he can still move his body.

Maybe street tryouts could come in too.

Maybe Beanie wells is feeling great or hightower.

rather do this than individual tryouts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep. A player like Michael Sam, bouncing around from practice squad to squad could use something like this.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I see this as something for a vet like Josh Freeman, he wasn't on a roster last year and could prove at a workout he still has the skills that got him on a roster in the first place. I doubt it would be for the in demand free agents or even the older vets--more so the guys who were not on a roster when the season ended and are young enough to feel they still deserve another shot.

I think this is more in line with the type of players you would see at an event like this. Fringe players, final cut players, vets who were not on a team last year but feel if they could audition in front of all 32 teams it would give them some good exposure. Players who were on practice squads.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is more in line with the type of players you would see at an event like this. Fringe players, final cut players, vets who were not on a team last year but feel if they could audition in front of all 32 teams it would give them some good exposure. Players who were on practice squads.

Agree, none of the big name free agents will be at this event. Don't know if this will be successful but might help some players get back into the NFL.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Should be fascinating.

I think the eventual central storyline is going to focus on "Old guy still runs a X.XX 40"

One thing I will point out, College players getting ready for the combine train for months and months in intensive, expensive, combine specific programs to get ready.

It feel like this thing is just a couple weeks off.

Its like all these vets got a txt from their agents saying get off the couch, you gotta go do some pushups.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Yup. And what a great way for the NFL Network to get (essentially) free material in the middle of a dead season.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor: There is a lot of talk about Tim Tebow attending this combine. Apparently, he has been working out with Tom Brady's QB coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson