NFL Network reports Plummer trade nullified

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
Report: QB Plummer to retire
You must be registered for see images

NFL.com

(March 2, 2007) -- NFL Network's Adam Schefter has learned Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer is expected to announce his retirement.
Earlier today, it had been reported that the Broncos agreed to terms on a trade that would send Plummer to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick. That trade is expected to be nullified due to Plummer's decision to retire.
Plummer has played 10 seasons in the NFL. A second-round draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 1997, he played six seasons in Arizona before signing with Denver in 2003. He led the Broncos to the 2005 AFC Championship Game, but was replaced as the starter late in the 2006 season by rookie Jay Cutler.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It leaves Bronco's with a hole and no draft pick. He was never going to get the 15M (?)...never.

We will just have to disagree.

The Broncos don't have a hole and they certainly were not going to pay Plummer 5m/yr as a back-up. They did not trade anything for Jake, so other than money, they don't lose anything.

5m/yr for a starting QB is pretty good and I am sure the Bucs would have been fine with that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Jake retires, what will Russ do with all his free time?

Maybe Jake will join the global warming movement so I can just go from ripping his football to ripping him on that?

:D

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Plummer is already fabulously wealthy, why not walk away while you still can?

If he retires today, who's going to be in better shape at age 50: Plummer vs Chris Chandler, Steve Young, etc?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plummer is already fabulously wealthy, why not walk away while you still can?

If he retires today, who's going to be in better shape at age 50: Plummer vs Chris Chandler, Steve Young, etc?

good point.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I say we waive the 5 year waiting period and just induct his mustache into the Facial Hair Hall of Fame. The only other facial hair that could come close is the cheesy Adam Morrison 'stache that looks like a 15 year old's

Sweet goodness

You must be registered for see images attach

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL Update, Plummer may retire, trade on hold, per Tampa source.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Denver's attempt to trade Jake was intercepted?

I agree with Ed actually, why not retire now, he's made his money, he had enough pressure in Arizona and then Denver, who'd want to end his career playing for a guy like Gruden who's so notoriously rough on QB's?

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Plummer has been unfairly dumped on in two cities. Yes, he wore out his welcome here but he's nowhere as bad as the common wisdom seems to think he was. I was happy to see him go, but it's not like he was the antichrist.

Then last year Mike Shanahan decides to make Jake the fall guy for the team's mediocre performance...even though they had a winning record under Plummer.

So why would jake want any more BS? He's certainly not going to be willing to get insulted and blamed in another city if he's not even guaranteed to be the starter.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nfl ticker is showing that the Plummer trade to Tampa Bay has been cancelled due to Plummers decision to retire.

Thanks for the heads up. 29 posts by you in two years? Don't like us much, do you? :sad:

Broncogirl1

All Star
Reaction score
Here's the latest confirming that Jake's retiring:

Plummer retires to avoid trade to Tampa Bay td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }By Jason Cole, Charles Robinson and John Murphy
March 2, 2007
The Bucs want Jake Plummer, but the feeling isn't mutual.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a deal to acquire the quarterback from Denver on Friday for a fourth-round draft pick in this year's draft.
But according to a league source, Plummer has decided to retire, nullifying the deal that would have sent him to Tampa Bay. Plummer apparently was not interested in joining a team which would not name him to an immediate starting spot, which the Buccaneers refused to do.
Plummer would have had to battle returning starter Chris Simms for the starting job in Tampa Bay. The deal also could have opened the door for an AFC West battle between the Broncos and Oakland Raiders for the rights to free agent signal caller Jeff Garcia, who has received initial interest from both teams.
Plummer lost his job in Denver last season to rookie Jay Cutler after playing inconsistently over the first half of the season. Plummer also fell out of favor with the Broncos during the playoffs in the 2005 season after a poor performance in the AFC championship game against Pittsburgh. The 32-year-old Plummer finished last season with 11 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 11 starts. Plummer played well in the previous three seasons, throwing 60 touchdowns and 34 interceptions in that span. Plummer seemed to lose his confidence as last season progressed. After losing his starting job, Plummer was upset with how Denver coach Mike Shanahan dealt with the change. Plummer was particularly angry that he received a phone call from his position coach to inform him of the change rather than hearing directly from Shanahan.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shakey Jake's been mentally out of it for a few years. I wouldn't be surprised one bit. +

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Plummer made cheer and he made curse. Have a happy life my man

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Plummer made cheer and he made curse. Have a happy life my man

Only Cardinal player to ever QB a win in an NFL advancing playoff game. He'll always be on my all time Cardinal favorites list for that.

Ring of Honor time. :p

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
Plummer to retire than to be a buccaneer

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...bYF?slug=jc-plummer030207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

this guy is a loser..He would rather retire than to compete for the starting job with Simms.. Does he have any kind of competitive spirit?? I would agree if he fought for the spot with Simms and lost it and then decide to retire than to be a back up...what do you guys think? Looks like he needs to be assured that he will be a starter somewhere and I dont think anyone is willing to do it..

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's made millions and he's still healthy. My guess is Jake may be trying to force a trade to a team other than Tampa Bay.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort