NFL explains 2 unfortunate calls that hurt Cardinals vs. Ravens

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve watched the replay several times. Supposedly they don’t show all images on TV, nonetheless I saw images that showed the initial spot was closer to correct. Not sure how someone could verbally direct you where to move the ball.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's so freaking stupid . With all of the technology, why are chains still used? They have the ability to use lasers and sensors for accuracy. Pretty ridiculous that this is the one antiquated thing they keep.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's so freaking stupid . With all of the technology, why are chains still used? They have the ability to use lasers and sensors for accuracy. Pretty ridiculous that this is the one antiquated thing they keep.
Yep. The Premier League uses chips in the balls and goal line technology to figure these things out, and the NFL can't?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
My question is why is the assist even in play? I get it they want to speed up the game, but if they let the measurement happen and it's short then they are required to review the placement of the ball, as it's a turn over on downs. Then they can move the ball anywhere they want to with no questions asked. This just feeds into the conspiracy theory stuff. Imo

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Was at the game and had no idea what the hell was going on!!
Me too, everyone around me was like, they just moved it back and it wasn't anywhere near that.

Personally, I thought it had crossed the yard marker. For them to bring it back behind the line and then not measure was insane. I was waiting for a challenge because of it (since those challenges note they have to cross a line, even though them by virtue of the repositioning flipped the onus being placed on needing to prove it. Which of course was BS).

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Me too, everyone around me was like, they just moved it back and it wasn't anywhere near that.

Personally, I thought it had crossed the yard marker. For them to bring it back behind the line and then not measure was insane. I was waiting for a challenge because of it (since those challenges note they have to cross a line, even though them by virtue of the repositioning flipped the onus being placed on needing to prove it. Which of course was BS).
Can't challenge it tho. It was a turnover so it's a automatic review.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’ve watched the replay several times. Supposedly they don’t show all images on TV, nonetheless I saw images that showed the initial spot was closer to correct. Not sure how someone could verbally direct you where to move the ball.
On TV they said the OPPOSITE. The refs have less angles to work with. They don't have full access during the game to see what we see.

Demercado reached out before he was down and even then, they spotted the ball further back than where Demercado was at. It was an awful call.