New Owner - Mat Ishbia

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The word "toxic" has essentially lost all meaning nowadays. Not sure when it happened but you hear it over and misused daily.
I've never worked anywhere that didn't have its share of employees that would have considered it a toxic workplace. Let's face it, as a general rule, having to work sucks so the environment is going to create unhappy workers. I guess we just have to hope the level of toxicity in Ishbia's world doesn't rise anywhere near the level of Sarver's.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
:computer::thud:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I agree that, in a company that large, some level of complaining is to be expected. The question is whether the complaints were addressed. There's a school of thought that says that complaining is a good sign, because it indicates that employees feel empowered to speak up and protect themselves.

I'm more worried about Ishbia's friendship with Isaiah Thomas.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
7000 employees and they've got a handful of disgruntled ex employees... this seems like a bunch of nothing.

Also, the Bloomberg article says some of these employees now work for a direct competitor... likely Dan Gilbert, who hates Ishbia.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm remaining curious and hoping for the best. It's a large company.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've never worked anywhere that didn't have its share of employees that would have considered it a toxic workplace. Let's face it, as a general rule, having to work sucks so the environment is going to create unhappy workers. I guess we just have to hope the level of toxicity in Ishbia's world doesn't rise anywhere near the level of Sarver's.
True to an extent… Some of the things being alleged about Ishbia’s company are however, very concerning and go well beyond “unhappy workers.”
Yes, it’s a big company… However, from all accounts prior to his purchase of the Suns, it sure seemed as though Ishbia and his brother were intimately involved and were visible presences in the company.
The report of rampant cocaine use in offices… and mistreatment of women and people of color, are behaviors that Ishbia likely knows about - if true and if the prior characterizations of his presence within the company are also true…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The report of rampant cocaine use in offices… and mistreatment of women and people of color, are behaviors that Ishbia likely knows about - if true and if the prior characterizations of his presence within the company are also true…
Can’t speak to the other allegations, but the bolded part sounds like every mortgage guy or girl I’ve ever known, going back 20 years. Obviously that can’t be all of them - just literally 100% of the ones I’ve known (numbering like 20-ish).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True to an extent… Some of the things being alleged about Ishbia’s company are however, very concerning and go well beyond “unhappy workers.”
Yes, it’s a big company… However, from all accounts prior to his purchase of the Suns, it sure seemed as though Ishbia and his brother were intimately involved and were visible presences in the company.
I have worked for two of the largest corporations on the planet and I could tell you some crap I have seen in the last 25 years. The bigger the company the more likley stuff is going to happen. If Ishbia and his brother are found to personally have taken part? I don't see this any different than Sarver. If not? That's completely different and as long as they have taken action to clean that garbage up I am good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people claim toxicity if you look at them the wrong way.

Need more than this for me to bother.
And others will wave it away even when wiggling in their face.

I mean, do we have to go back to, well, ANY thread about Sarver when new stories would break over the years when his toxicity was on display even before the Baxter Holmes takedown where the majority of posters here tripped over each other to excuse Sarver? I mean, even when the Holmes stuff came out, people here were STILL claiming ESPN Conspiracy and saying the accusations were suspect.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mat Ishbia responds to Bloomberg report.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think that any wrongdoings of Ishbia's past would have come to light during his purchasing negotiation vetting. I think this is a big nothing and hyperbole.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have worked for two of the largest corporations on the planet and I could tell you some crap I have seen in the last 25 years. The bigger the company the more likley stuff is going to happen. If Ishbia and his brother are found to personally have taken part? I don't see this any different than Sarver. If not? That's completely different and as long as they have taken action to clean that garbage up I am good.
Don't disagree at all...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think that any wrongdoings of Ishbia's past would have come to light during his purchasing negotiation vetting. I think this is a big nothing and hyperbole.

Was going to say this. Surely the league looked into him before allowing the sale given the circumstances behind Sarver selling. It wouldn't surprise me if he was more thoroughly vetted simply because of the circumstances.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was going to say this. Surely the league looked into him before allowing the sale given the circumstances behind Sarver selling. It wouldn't surprise me if he was more thoroughly vetted simply because of the circumstances.
I read some similar complaints about his workplace before the sale was official, I'm pretty sure I mentioned them here at the time. Whether they're true or indicative of a real problem I have no idea. But character assassignation is a favorite of far too many people so I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, until I can't.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wondered if this would be seen as a conflict of interest. Looks like Sarver saw it that way.
I don’t think Sarver barred Iger from bidding because a conflict of interest. He barred him from bidding because ESPN took his ass down and he was butt-hurt.

Personally, I would have loved for Iger to be the ownership leader. Dude is a genius and built Disney into a freaking behemoth that’s unrivaled in the industry now.

But so far, I like the moves Ishbia has made and the TV deal is a great give back to Suns fans in the valley.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wondered if this would be seen as a conflict of interest. Looks like Sarver saw it that way.

I think the ESPN article critical of Sarver had a lot to do with it.

ESPN is Disney owned and Bob Iger was in a position of power at the time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to that article, Sarver only wanted parties that could meet his price immediately as he wanted a quick sale. Iger would have needed additional investors that he had yet to line up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think Sarver barred Iger from bidding because a conflict of interest. He barred him from bidding because ESPN took his ass down and he was butt-hurt.

Personally, I would have loved for Iger to be the ownership leader. Dude is a genius and built Disney into a freaking behemoth that’s unrivaled in the industry now.

But so far, I like the moves Ishbia has made and the TV deal is a great give back to Suns fans in the valley.
Um. Yeah. Same thing isn't it. Iger's company does a hit piece (in Sarver's mind granted) that takes Sarver down, so that Sarver is forced to sell and Iger gets a chance to buy. It is easy to see how that might be taken as an ulterior motive for the article.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 5 friends of other teams text me how great the TV contract move was by our owner.

That’s awesome. Look… I assume like most billionaires, Ishbia has his warts, but a move like this puts the Suns in a really positive light.

How awesome would it be if we became one of the Crown Jewels of the NBA like we were with Colangelo where we were a legit destination for any major FA/Star because of ownership?