New look and software for ASFN coming soon!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The forum will be going through some major updates soon. ASFN is ran on software called vBulletin as most of you know. The version is almost 10 years old and hasn't been updated from vBulletin for almost 5 years. So we have decided to not update to the newest version of vBulletin(which is still filled with bugs and errors), rather move to a new forum software called XenForo - www.xenforo.com. A lot of vB owners are moving to XF because what is happening with vB as a company and what they are doing to their newer version. I have moved about 5 of my other vB forums to XF and it has gone over well with the members.

With the new software will come a new look for the site. So this boring, white style will be gone with a new modern look.

I will let you all know when this change is going to be taking place so just keep an eye on this thread as I will keep you updated with the changes here.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Figured I move this here as it wasn't getting much attention in the Announcement forum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the changes if it improves the site.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you're taking requests or suggestions: I'd like a night-time mode. I prefer darker themes most of the time,whether I'm on my browser or phone. Thanks.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Figured I moves this here as it wasn't getting much attention in the Announcement forum.
the what forum? Kidding

although.....on a legit suggestion, itd be a good idea to let more topics in the main 'cardinals' section.

Youll notice even though the page holds something like 80 threads, only the top 15 or so are 1 or 2 days fresh with activity. That means the majority of the page is filled with dead threads.

Those dead threads could be live threads if we could talk about other stuff. Its still a cardinals forum regardless. its just Cardinals fans talking about a ASU game. or Barrett Jackson. Or traffic, or W/E

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The forum will be going through some major updates soon. ASFN is ran on software called vBulletin as most of you know. The version is almost 10 years old and hasn't been updated from vBulletin for almost 5 years. So we have decided to not update to the newest version of vBulletin(which is still filled with bugs and errors), rather move to a new forum software called XenForo - www.xenforo.com. A lot of vB owners are moving to XF because what is happening with vB as a company and what they are doing to their newer version. I have moved about 5 of my other vB forums to XF and it has gone over well with the members.

With the new software will come a new look for the site. So this boring, white style will be gone with a new modern look.

I will let you all know when this change is going to be taking place so just keep an eye on this thread as I will keep you updated with the changes here.

Sweet Shaggy. Looking forward to the upgrade. By the way, you made a good choice. I tried switching a forum to the newest version of vBulletin and it was a disaster. Not familiar with XenForo but it can't be any worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
the what forum? Kidding

although.....on a legit suggestion, itd be a good idea to let more topics in the main 'cardinals' section.

Youll notice even though the page holds something like 80 threads, only the top 15 or so are 1 or 2 days fresh with activity. That means the majority of the page is filled with dead threads.

Those dead threads could be live threads if we could talk about other stuff. Its still a cardinals forum regardless. its just Cardinals fans talking about a ASU game. or Barrett Jackson. Or traffic, or W/E

I totally understand but the little OCD I have would be screaming NOOOOOOOO.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We can always change styles. We have about 20 of them.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can always change styles. We have about 20 of them.
I thought the bulk of them vanished when the site was bought; if not, how do I get to them? There are only 2 options at the bottom: ASFN New Skin and Mobile Skin.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the bulk of them vanished when the site was bought; if not, how do I get to them? There are only 2 options at the bottom: ASFN New Skin and Mobile Skin.

OK, yeah, I see. Right now most of the styles are not flagged as user selectable.

I know how to fix it, but I just need to check with Shaggy/Iceman that this was not intentional.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I post a picture from the mobile platform, it posts them sideways. Didn't do that until about a month ago. I've seen pics by others that are sideways also. Even if I rotate it and save and try to post again, it does the same thing. Doesn't seem to do it from my PC.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully the change will allow me to log off ASFN when using my tablet. As it stands I hit "log off".... and it doesn't. (Using Chrome if that makes a difference.)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey Shaggy, you mind if I pick your brain? Is there a particular reason you guys went with XenForo verses some of the others? Was there a particular feature that made you pick it? I have to make a similar decision soon and as I stated I am not familiar with XenForo. Send me an IM that works better. Appreciate it.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Shaggy, you mind if I pick your brain? Is there a particular reason you guys went with XenForo verses some of the others? Was there a particular feature that made you pick it? I have to make a similar decision soon and as I stated I am not familiar with XenForo. Send me an IM that works better. Appreciate it.

Vbulletin is completely bug ridden in the newer version, 5.x. I'm not a big fan of invision power board(IPB). The creators of XenForo were the 3 main developers at vbulletin before vbulletin was sold to Internet brands. They left a few months later and the vbulletin software never recovered.

I was hesitant to move to xf but did with one forum and it's just overall better. Loads faster, more features, better support and so on. That's why I chose xf.

What are you working on?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Excited about the new look. Just one piece of advice.

Please do it sufficiently in advance of the draft (or after). It would be nice to get any kinks out and get used to it before the draft :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vbulletin is completely bug ridden in the newer version, 5.x. I'm not a big fan of invision power board(IPB). The creators of XenForo were the 3 main developers at vbulletin before vbulletin was sold to Internet brands. They left a few months later and the vbulletin software never recovered.

I was hesitant to move to xf but did with one forum and it's just overall better. Loads faster, more features, better support and so on. That's why I chose xf.

What are you working on?

There is a site I am converting that uses a Wordpress customized template that has some built in forum features. However, the author was pretty forward thinking and made it possible to import virtually any type of forum so for example the admin features will still work to manage those forums. I am doing some research now but need to decide which forum software to use. Just so happens you posted about XenForo so I thought I would ask since I need to make a decision soon.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There is a site I am converting that uses a Wordpress customized template that has some built in forum features. However, the author was pretty forward thinking and made it possible to import virtually any type of forum so for example the admin features will still work to manage those forums. I am doing some research now but need to decide which forum software to use. Just so happens you posted about XenForo so I thought I would ask since I need to make a decision soon.

What site is it?

Reaction score

What are you working on?

My buddy uses XenForo for his boards & they are really nice. Tons of options. Almost too many for the average user to decide. :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there not a way to jump to the newest post in a thread yet? I tried clicking the bubble to the left of a thread but it still started me at the beginning

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This software goes to the last post you read when you just click the link. It's not working right because everything is new. If it doesn't work when you click the link, there is another link within the thread that says "go to first unread post"

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This software goes to the last post you read when you just click the link. It's not working right because everything is new. If it doesn't work when you click the link, there is another link within the thread that says "go to first unread post"

yeah i was trying that and it wasnt working either. Maybe now that I marked everything as read...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing I have found is there is no longer a navigation menu on the bottom right, instead you click an up arrow and then click on forums. Missing the menu on the bottom but this will work if its the only way to do it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave