New Harry Potter book!

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../nm/20041221/en_nm/media_bloomsbury_potter_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - Christmas came early for fans of the fictional boy wizard Harry Potter (news - web sites) on Tuesday, with news that author J.K. Rowling (news - web sites) has finished the sixth book in series, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

The book, set to be published on July 16, 2005 in Britain, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, picks up the story of Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as his evil enemy Lord Voldemort's "power and followers are increasing day by day," Rowling's publishers Bloomsbury and Scholastic said.

"I know you all expected this to happen on Christmas Day, but I was sure that those of you who celebrate Christmas have better things to do on the day itself than fight your way into my study, whereas those of you who don't celebrate Christmas would definitely prefer not to wait until the 25th," Rowling said in a message on her Web site (http://www.jkrowling.com/).

Shares of her UK publisher Bloomsbury surged on the news, up 7.5 percent to 294 pence at 1204 GMT. Scholastic, which holds the U.S. publishing rights, said the book will retail for $29.99.

The fifth book in the series, published after a three-year gap in 2003, made publishing history by selling 5 million copies within 24 hours. More than a quarter of a billion Harry Potter books have been sold worldwide in 60 languages ranging from Gujarati to Ancient Greek.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent!

Wonder if she will continue her trend of making each book longer than the last?

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Excellent!

Wonder if she will continue her trend of making each book longer than the last?

Gads! I hope not.

Actually, I'm thinking it will be about the size of the last one. I could be wrong though.

The first two books stunk. I mean, they were awful. But she got good quickly and they are fun reads. I just want the big three to stick around for all 7 movies.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Gads! I hope not.

Actually, I'm thinking it will be about the size of the last one. I could be wrong though.

The first two books stunk. I mean, they were awful. But she got good quickly and they are fun reads. I just want the big three to stick around for all 7 movies.

You could definately tell she matured as a writer. First one was good for a first-time writer though. She seemed to raise the age of her writing target.

The last book was pretty dark - I imagine this one will be as well.

I can't see the same actors playing Harry, Ron and Hermoine in all 7 - they will be too old. I believe they are filming the 4th one now, and then will cast three younger actors for the last three. It'll suck, I know, but not sure how to avoid it (other than having twenty-something year olds still playing the teen parts.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
You could definately tell she matured as a writer. First one was good for a first-time writer though. She seemed to raise the age of her writing target.

The last book was pretty dark - I imagine this one will be as well.

I can't see the same actors playing Harry, Ron and Hermoine in all 7 - they will be too old. I believe they are filming the 4th one now, and then will cast three younger actors for the last three. It'll suck, I know, but not sure how to avoid it (other than having twenty-something year olds still playing the teen parts.

they will not be continuing because they are too old - not sure who they will be getting for the later movies - but it won't the be same kids.

shawn

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
they will not be continuing because they are too old - not sure who they will be getting for the later movies - but it won't the be same kids.

shawn

How do you know this? I've yet to see anything like this. Granted, they are only signed on to do the one they're currently working on (4th) but that doesn't mean they won't be back. Unless you've seen or heard something I haven't.

Personally, I don't mind if they follow through. I don't think the age thing is going to be that ridiculous. Besides, it happens all the time that actors in their early twenties play high school students. Actually, I think they are about close in age to what they are supposed to be RIGHT NOW. Of course that will change in time.

Shawn, do you have linkage for such scoopage?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting hints

J.K. Rowling hints at what's to come in 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'
We've cobbled together some of the information in J.K. Rowling's earlier statements and information posted on her Web site (jkrowling.com) about the hotly anticipated Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, her sixth installation in the popular series.
Q:: Is it true that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was the working title of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?

A: "Yes. I was delighted to see that a hard core of super-bright fans knew that the real title was once, in the long distant past, a possibility for Chamber of Secrets, and from that deduced that it was genuine. Certain crucial pieces of information in book six were originally planned for Chamber of Secrets, but very early on I realized that this information's proper home was book six. I have said before now that Chamber holds some very important clues to the ultimate end of the series. Not as many as six, obviously, but there is a link."

Q:: Who is the Half-Blood Prince?

A: "The Half-Blood Prince is neither Harry nor Voldemort. And that's all I'm saying on that subject until the book's published."

Q: Who are the half-bloods in Harry Potter that we know about so far?

A: From Harry Potter Lexicon (fan site): Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Hagrid (wizard dad, giantess mom), Remus Lupin and, according to some malicious people, Harry (both of Harry's parents were wizards, though as JKR explains, his having Muggle grandparents was enough to make him a half-blood to the more biased among the wizarding world.) Tonks is also a half-blood, but unless she has been extremely crafty with her metamorphmagus abilities, she probably isn't going to be named a prince.

Q: Has J.K. Rowling released any portions of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince?

A: On Halloween, the JKRowling.com "Do Not Disturb" door opened to reveal three chapter titles: Chapter 2: "Spinners End"; Chapter 6: "Draco's Detour"; Chapter 14: "Felix Felicis."

In August, J.K. Rowling put behind the mysterious "Do Not Disturb" door on JKRowling.com: "He looked rather like an old lion. There were streaks of grey in his mane of tawny hair and his bushy eyebrows; he had keen yellowish eyes behind a pair of wire-rimmed spectacles and a certain rangy, loping grace even though he walked with a slight limp."

Q: From J.K. Rowling World Book Day chat: Is there going to be a new Minister of Magic in the next books?

A: "Yes. Ha! Finally, a concrete bit of information, I hear you cry!"

Q: Was Voldemort born evil?

A: "I don't believe that anybody was born evil. You will find out more about the circumstances of his birth in the next book."

Q: Does anyone die in the rest of the series?

A: From JKRowling.com FAQ Section: "Yes. Sorry."

Q: Is every book going to keep getting bigger?

A: From JKRowling.com FAQ section: "No. Definitely not, or book seven would be around the weight of a baby hippopotamus. According to the plan for book six, it will be quite a bit shorter than Order of the Phoenix. I am not going to swear on my children's lives that is going to be the case, but I am 99% certain of it."

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/britain_harry_potter

You must be registered for see images

Rowling to Give Midnight 'Potter' Reading

1 hour, 40 minutes ago

LONDON -
Harry Potter author
J.K. Rowling will give a midnight reading of the sixth book in her hugely successful series at Edinburgh Castle in Scotland to coincide with its publication, the writer announced Saturday.

Rowling said on her Web site that newspapers and bookshops in six countries will choose 70 children between ages 8 and 16 who aspire to be journalists to go to Edinburgh for the reading of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

Those attending the reading early July 16 will get a copy of the book to read before questioning Rowling at a "children's press conference" the next day, she said.

Newspapers in Britain, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada were running competitions starting Saturday to choose their representatives, Rowling said.

Bookshops and libraries in Britain and Ireland also would send children to the event, and two youngsters from Harry Potter fan Web sites have been invited to interview the writer, the announcement said.

The book, which already has huge advance orders, is expected to be a major seller.

___

On the Net:

http://www.jkrowling.com/

Last edited:

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can't imagine how pissed off this store manager must have been at his/her employees! LOL!

http://www.azfamily.com/entertain/news/stories/KTVKENews20050712.9c2ec821.html
Harry Potter books sold by accident

[size=-1]11:07 AM Mountain Standard Time on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 [/size]

[size=-1]The Associated Press [/size]

COQUITLAM, British Columbia -- A handful of people in Canada got a sneak peek of the latest Harry Potter book, but a British Columbia Supreme Court judge ordered them to keep it a secret.

The book was sold to 14 people who snagged a copy of J.K. Rowlings' much anticipated "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," when it landed on shelves last Thursday at a local grocery store.

The book, officially set for release this coming Saturday, has been shrouded in secrecy and its debut has been highly orchestrated to enable everyone - readers, reviewers, even publishers - to crack it open all at once. It's the sixth in Rowling's seven-book fantasy series on the young wizard.

But the store slipped up and sold 14 copies before realizing its mistake.

"It was an inadvertent error on behalf of one of our staff," said Geoff Wilson, a spokesman for the Real Canadian Superstore. He said the books were quickly removed.

Justice Kristi Gill last Saturday ordered customers not to talk about the book, copy it, sell it or even read it before it is officially released at 12:01 a.m. July 16.

The order also compels them to return the novel to the publisher, Raincoast Book Distribution Ltd., until the official release. At that time it will be returned to them.

As an added incentive, Raincoast will include Rowling's autograph and a gift pack

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson