New AD

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Even as an ASU fan I'd admit UA seems like a more appealing job than Maryland. It seems so odd that Miller would go there, coming off a great year, bringing in a big time recruiting class and now this huge Pac 12 money on the way.

This Maryland site seems to think its a strong possibility from the headline:
http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-Terps-Closing-on-Miller-24841

I wonder if the main issue wouldn't be more about Miller (or his wife/family) preferring the East Coast rather than UA's AD focusing on football. UA has very good hoops facilities, will likely give raises to all the Hoops Assistants fairly soon, and Miller has all the perks in the world.

Byrne is an amazing moron if he really wants UA to focus on football first. They ought to focus on being elite in basketball and just making a bowl game 4 out of 5 years in football and be happy with that. Unless Byrne is some amazing secret agent for ASU he's a high functioning ******.

Plus you guys will hire Pastner immediately if Miller leaves, so all hope isn't lost. He seems like a good young coach and an energetic recruiter who could probably keep most of your class together.
If this had anything to do with family then him and his staff wouldn't be uprooting and moving them across the country for the second time in two tears. This has to do with Byrne anally ******* Miller and his assistants on some promised raises and other perks in favor of the football program and it's bumbling head coach. And the entire AD admitting to anybody that will listen including Sean Miller that the football program from here on out will be the athletic department's main priority.

And yes, I'm beginning to think Byrne is a secret Sun Devil agent. Nothing else can explain the high level of stupidity and incompetence he's shown in the last few months.

Miller is gone. Either it's today for Maryland or next year when Calhoun retires or the year after when Boeheim does. The well has been poisoned by Byrne and for that the university will lose a lot of support and dollars starting with yours truly.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
And yes, I'm beginning to think Byrne is a secret Sun Devil agent. Nothing else can explain the high level of stupidity and incompetence he's shown in the last few months.

Miller is gone. Either it's today for Maryland or next year when Calhoun retires or the year after when Boeheim does. The well has been poisoned by Byrne and for that the university will lose a lot of support and dollars starting with yours truly.

A devil in disguise? Have to say, I'm shocked that he would leave such a nice setup for Maryland. I don't think U of A is an elite job, but it's a pretty damn good one, and much better in terms of circumstances as well. Regardless, I'm sure Pastner will be a good replacement, but still quite surprised.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Maryland is just as good a job as Arizona. DC/Baltimore is the most fertile basketball recruiting ground in the country plus NYC and Virginia are a few hours away by car. Arizona is a great job too and like he would have here Miller will win 2-3 national titles in Maryland, he just isn't going to get dicked around by the AD at Maryland. The Terps know who they are which is a basketball school.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
A devil in disguise? Have to say, I'm shocked that he would leave such a nice setup for Maryland. I don't think U of A is an elite job, but it's a pretty damn good one, and much better in terms of circumstances as well. Regardless, I'm sure Pastner will be a good replacement, but still quite surprised.
Best way to draw an analogy is this...

Say in a few years after you guys put Erickson out to pasture you hire some mid-major coach like the next Urban Meyer who within two years takes you from nothing to an outright Pac-12 title and a BCS game all while out-recruiting USC and Oregon. After that season said coach after saying no to a huge raise from an ACC school asks Lisa Love for a little more money for himself and his assistants and a few other perks which come out to roughly 500k annually as he was verbally promised such things when he initially took the job.

In response, LL says flat out no and says she's focused on dedicating resources to Herb Sendek and his NIT/first weekend exit basketball program and there's no money to be had for football.

And Lisa Love happened to be a UofA grad.

Tell me - how exactly would you feel?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I am shocked. I heard Miller's name thrown out there on PTI and came right here to read the scoup. Ugh. I hope this is just rampant speculation. Miller just started!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If this had anything to do with family then him and his staff wouldn't be uprooting and moving them across the country for the second time in two tears. This has to do with Byrne anally ******* Miller and his assistants on some promised raises and other perks in favor of the football program and it's bumbling head coach. And the entire AD admitting to anybody that will listen including Sean Miller that the football program from here on out will be the athletic department's main priority.

But what about Amy's Allergies? :sarcasm:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Regardless, I'm sure Pastner will be a good replacement, but still quite surprised.
It's not as cut and dry as that when we suggest Pastner will say yes and succeed. Word has or will get around the close-knit basketball coaching fraternity that Byrne is a football-first AD who tries to weasel his way out of contracts getting anybody even a huge UA guy like Josh won't be a walk in the park.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Best way to draw an analogy is this...

Say in a few years after you guys put Erickson out to pasture you hire some mid-major coach like the next Urban Meyer who within two years takes you from nothing to an outright Pac-12 title and a BCS game all while out-recruiting USC and Oregon. After that season said coach after saying no to a huge raise from an ACC school asks Lisa Love for a little more money for himself and his assistants and a few other perks which come out to roughly 500k annually as he was verbally promised such things when he initially took the job.

In response, LL says flat out no and says she's focused on dedicating resources to Herb Sendek and his NIT/first weekend exit basketball program and there's no money to be had for football.

And Lisa Love happened to be a UofA grad.

Tell me - how exactly would you feel?

Like Steve Kerr?

All kidding aside, I would be quite furious, as I'm sure most of the crew is. Especially with all the additional revenue of the new TV contract, it's pretty hard to believe that the Cats are getting gator arms for the bball program.

Maybe Byrne is the Manchurian candidate...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's not as cut and dry as that when we suggest Pastner will say yes and succeed. Word has or will get around the close-knit basketball coaching fraternity that Byrne is a football-first AD who tries to weasel his way out of contracts getting anybody even a huge UA guy like Josh won't be a walk in the park.

Hard to believe that anyone could be more destructive to what U of A is all about that Livengood, but here we are.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Like Steve Kerr?
Sarver is a better example. Steve Kerr did a good job with the Suns, if D'Antoni had let him hire Thibodeau there'd be a banner hanging somewhere at USAC. Kerr and Miller are actually comparable, both **** because their bosses kept handcuffing things.

Hard to believe that anyone could be more destructive to what U of A is all about that Livengood, but here we are.
Yeah, Livengood at least had the courtesy to wait until Lute was half in the bag before trying to screw him.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sarver is a better example. Steve Kerr did a good job with the Suns, if D'Antoni had let him hire Thibodeau there'd be a banner hanging somewhere at USAC. Kerr and Miller are actually comparable, both **** because their bosses kept handcuffing things.

That's what I meant, I would feel like Kerr dealing with the brainless incompetence of those above me. Looks like Miller may be making the same decision as Kerr.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Byrne's decision making is absolutely stunning. Im not sure how any of these big boosters are going to hold back from raking him over the coals if Miller leaves. This guy should be out of a job today.

Arizona is a basketball school, stadium renovations are nice, but when you are near elite in one sport, and have a coach that nearly hung a banner, you dont give him the cold shoulder when he asks why his contract isnt being met.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Even if Miller stays Byrne might not survive this. Unless of course he spends the rest of his tenure basically being SM's lackey. That beatdown of Duke made Sean Miller the most important person in the Arizona athletic department just like the '88 team did with Lute way back then. If Byrne can't come to grips with that he's more than welcome to move back up to Tempe and answer calls for Lisa Love.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it be that Miller is attempting to wrangle a huge contract out of UofA? He is as hot a commodity as he might ever be, so I can understand if that is the play he is making but it still sucks for the conference. As much as I hate UofA (sports fan wise) losing Miller to the ACC is a bad way for the PAC 12 to get started.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Miller could get any money he wanted from the boosters, thats not the problem. When you have to go to your boss to say, "hey why arent my bonuses being paid out, and when are you going to meet the rest of your promises?", there is a major problem.

Byrne is acting like a child, and now has to come back and say, anything you want Sean, you can get it here. However, that wasnt the case last week...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is if Miller decides to stay what's the UA fan perception of him?

I think the kids would forget all about it once he's back coaching them, just curious what the fans and alums would think.

To me if the coach never leaves you can't really blame him for looking.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I honestly believe Miller will leave. ESPN sources say Miller was on a plane to MD probably to hear the proposal. Everyone is saying that the talent in the DC area is that of the LA/TEX/FL level and that Williams refused to recruit the AAU circuit but Miller would make a killing. Look at a lot of UA recruits, they are on the East Coast. Miller leaving would be catastrophic, no doubt we lose all 2011 & 2012 recruits and are back to 2009. Supposedly there are parameters for a 2 year extension for Miller in the works but need a Regents Board approval that won't take place until next month, Sean will be long gone by then.

Its a shame that guys like Coach K, Lute, Wooden, Williams are a thing of the past whereas now coaches are always on the move no matter how much success they have with their previous programs. I had no idea Kentucky tried to lure away Lute Olson, must have happened when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly believe Miller will leave. ESPN sources say Miller was on a plane to MD probably to hear the proposal. Everyone is saying that the talent in the DC area is that of the LA/TEX/FL level and that Williams refused to recruit the AAU circuit but Miller would make a killing. Look at a lot of UA recruits, they are on the East Coast. Miller leaving would be catastrophic, no doubt we lose all 2011 & 2012 recruits and are back to 2009. Supposedly there are parameters for a 2 year extension for Miller in the works but need a Regents Board approval that won't take place until next month, Sean will be long gone by then.

Its a shame that guys like Coach K, Lute, Wooden, Williams are a thing of the past whereas now coaches are always on the move no matter how much success they have with their previous programs. I had no idea Kentucky tried to lure away Lute Olson, must have happened when I was a kid.

Miller is supposed to be meeting with the Maryland AD at a conference in Vegas that both were previously attending.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There may be some good news. The Wildcat Authority is breaking news that there is another candidate for the Maryland job, Jamie Dixon. This should be interesting. Russ said there were rumors about multiple coaches being on the move, we'll see.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There may be some good news. The Wildcat Authority is breaking news that there is another candidate for the Maryland job, Jamie Dixon. This should be interesting. Russ said there were rumors about multiple coaches being on the move, we'll see.

The problem there was that rumor was Dixon to MD, Miller to Pitt and Pastner to UA.

So Miller would still leave although people here said that's not going to happen Miller had a falling out with Pitt.

I think it's clear the reports it was a done deal are wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison