NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't know. I cannot see Bender as an improvement over Kaminsky.

Certainly not. It's long past time to move on from Bender. Frank the Suck went through some stretches of being competent defensively, which gives me hope for him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Certainly not. It's long past time to move on from Bender. Frank the Suck went through some stretches of being competent defensively, which gives me hope for him.

They were few and far between. Frank is just too slow-footed and unathletic, as is Saric.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Bender were willing to sign a Two-Way deal then I would be fine with bringing him back. He's not worth a real contract or roster spot though. Of course that is all counting on Milwaukee deciding to waive him. His deal isn't guaranteed but it's also a minimum contract so it's not like they'll be strapped if they keep him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Bender were willing to sign a Two-Way deal then I would be fine with bringing him back. He's not worth a real contract or roster spot though. Of course that is all counting on Milwaukee deciding to waive him. His deal isn't guaranteed but it's also a minimum contract so it's not like they'll be strapped if they keep him.

Agree. If Bender is waived, the Suns should definitely try to sign him on a two-way contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drummond and Steven Adams are being shopped.

Adams would be an interesting addition here. I wonder what his trade value is.

Either would be intriguing. Of course this would move Ayton to power forward.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Either would be intriguing. Of course this would move Ayton to power forward.

For something like this it could work, though, as both Drummond and Adams bring strong interior defense, rim protection, rebounding and toughness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Love reportedly had an outburst directed towards Cavaliers GM Coby Altman.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steven Adams is intriguing. I have no idea how available he really is.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven Adams is intriguing. I have no idea how available he really is.

I'm guessing the Thunder would minimally want a first round pick and a young player in addition to expiring contracts. Maybe more.

It's hard to believe he is only 26.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We CANNOT go back to Bender. I was in his corner when he was here, but the thought of putting a player on the court who WILL NOT play offense is nauseating.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would Johnson, Kaminsky, and lotto protected pick be enough to get Drummond? I just cannot get a handle on his value.

He is going to opt out this summer. He will opt out of one year at $28 million in order to go for less and more years.

4/80 or so.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would Johnson, Kaminsky, and lotto protected pick be enough to get Drummond? I just cannot get a handle on his value.

He is going to opt out this summer. He will opt out of one year at $28 million in order to go for less and more years.

4/80 or so.

I wouldn't be so sure he takes a pay cut. He's opting out for a long term deal but as a free agent this summer he'll be one of the top players available. If he waited and played out next year then he probably wouldn't crack the top 5, maybe even outside of the top 10. He's only 26 years old as well. Opting out now puts him in position to earn another big contract right after he turns 30. He'd be farther into 30's if he waited and that would hurt his offers.

I think he'll get a max offer from someone, Atlanta probably. It only takes one team to throw that at him and someone will. If he could be retained for that figure, 4 years/$80 million, then I'd be more interested in going after him but paying him close to $30 million a year for the next 4 years isn't something the Suns should do, not when they already have Ayton.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drummond and Adams are both too limited offensively to provide much value to us. Granted, far more value than Tyler Johnson, but I cannot picture the Thunder dumping Adams for 25 mil in salary that they will have no ability to use.

On that note, Sam Presti has gone from a GM that was viewed as one of the best in the league to one that, at least in my eyes, is absolute horse crap.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Dragan Bender becomes available it's something to think about.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Spending the year "in the G league or injured" does not do much to change my opinion of Bender, regardless of one night against some bums.

The G League is a nice place to stash some players you have rights to, but it's stats are absolutely worthless. The competition of that league is putrid, miles below several foreign leagues or even some quality NCAA conferences.

Archie Goodwin regularly shredded the G-League... Archie Goodwin also couldn't hack it in China and is now playing for a failing Turkish team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spending the year "in the G league or injured" does not do much to change my opinion of Bender, regardless of one night against some bums.

The G League is a nice place to stash some players you have rights to, but it's stats are absolutely worthless. The competition of that league is putrid, miles below several foreign leagues or even some quality NCAA conferences.

Archie Goodwin regularly shredded the G-League... Archie Goodwin also couldn't hack it in China and is now playing for a failing Turkish team.
Ok. I get this but in Dragans defense, his problem was never the ABILITY to keep up with NBA players. It was the willingness to actually shoot the ball when he had opportunity. Scoring 27, even in g-league is a good sign. But I would want to see it for many games before I would be interested in him again.

Just looked it up. Bender has 8 games in GLeague. He is scoring 21 pts, 9 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 28 minutes per game That is more scoring than he has done anywhere in his career. It’s an 8 game sample set. Bender needed more development in a G league. It’s probably similar to summer league.

I would not mind controlling Bender somehow in our G league team. It that is it for now.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ok. I get this but in Dragans defense, his problem was never the ABILITY to keep up with NBA players. It was the willingness to actually shoot the ball when he had opportunity. Scoring 27, even in g-league is a good sign. But I would want to see it for many games before I would be interested in him again.

Just looked it up. Bender has 8 games in GLeague. He is scoring 21 pts, 9 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 28 minutes per game That is more scoring than he has done anywhere in his career. It’s an 8 game sample set. Bender needed more development in a G league. It’s probably similar to summer league.

I would not mind controlling Bender somehow in our G league team. It that is it for now.
The whole thing with Bender is he is still VERY young.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd still take Bender on a two-way contract in a millisecond if the opportunity arose. He just turned 22 in November. Some big men take longer to mature.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Drummond and Adams are both too limited offensively to provide much value to us. Granted, far more value than Tyler Johnson, but I cannot picture the Thunder dumping Adams for 25 mil in salary that they will have no ability to use.

On that note, Sam Presti has gone from a GM that was viewed as one of the best in the league to one that, at least in my eyes, is absolute horse crap.

Why?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ok. I get this but in Dragans defense, his problem was never the ABILITY to keep up with NBA players.

Yes it was. He was overmatched physically, maybe not in terms of dimensions or strength, but in reaction time and presence. He was tentative enough to disguise his physical limitations, but that doesn't mean he didn't have them. Bender was never an NBA-caliber talent and was doomed to fail from the start.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've expounded on this before but dating back to their acquisition of Kendrick Perkins, nearly every big move Presti has made has been a disaster.

The Perkins trade, the Perkins contract extension, being unwilling to go from 10 mil to 12 mil per year in Harden's contract offer, trading Harden for beans, not using their amnesty when they had Perkins massive dead weight on a contending team, trading for Carmelo, trading Carmelo away and taking on a ton of salary instead of just waiving him, the panic attack Westbrook trade.

Presti landed some all-world talent via some trade fortune... he proceeded to piddle it away, never building a complimentary roster, then lost all 3 of his superstars for virtually 0 return. They now have one of the older rosters in the league, they're a luxury tax payer and they're contending for nothing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lp
I've expounded on this before but dating back to their acquisition of Kendrick Perkins, nearly every big move Presti has made has been a disaster.

The Perkins trade, the Perkins contract extension, being unwilling to go from 10 mil to 12 mil per year in Harden's contract offer, trading Harden for beans, not using their amnesty when they had Perkins massive dead weight on a contending team, trading for Carmelo, trading Carmelo away and taking on a ton of salary instead of just waiving him, the panic attack Westbrook trade.

Presti landed some all-world talent via some trade fortune... he proceeded to piddle it away, never building a complimentary roster, then lost all 3 of his superstars for virtually 0 return. They now have one of the older rosters in the league, they're a luxury tax payer and they're contending for nothing.
But on the other hand they have some tradable assets, a ton of draft picks, a young stud in SGA. They’re pretty primed for a rebuild.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold the Melo trade against Presti, the one that dumped him in Atlanta. Schroeder is an overpaid guard but he's played really good for OKC and is a legit 6th man of the year candidate right now, averaging about 18, 4 & 4. For a bench guard, that's quite good. He and SGA make a good pairing also, which gives them some hope for the future when Paul and Gallinari are done and gone.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes it was. He was overmatched physically, maybe not in terms of dimensions or strength, but in reaction time and presence. He was tentative enough to disguise his physical limitations, but that doesn't mean he didn't have them. Bender was never an NBA-caliber talent and was doomed to fail from the start.
I think I disagree. It depends on what you are expecting of him. If you want a center, yes, he is overmatched. But at the PF or even SF position he can play. He has the speed, agility, and even the skills to play. To me, his problem is between his ears.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'd still take Bender on a two-way contract in a millisecond if the opportunity arose. He just turned 22 in November. Some big men take longer to mature.
Why do we look back as a way to get ahead?

It cries of desperation. Which indicates there is no plan.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do we look back as a way to get ahead?

It cries of desperation. Which indicates there is no plan.

We are talking about a two way contract. The 16th and 17th players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson