OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah good point I wasn't considering.

That actually makes a big difference since if true, 22 could very well be the Emoni Bates draft where he'd be projected #1 overall. Just found an article where a scout said I've been telling NBA teams for awhile now get every pick you can in 22, that's a 2 year class if they allow HS to NBA again, you'll get a guy at 25 who would have been a lottery pick in a normal year because it's a "double draft."

Makes a little more sense to me now. Still don't like Wiggins.

I suspect the Suns could have traded for Russell using an unprotected 2021 pick and expiring contracts.

Suns must really not like Russell. Any thoughts about the Warriors?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect the Suns could have traded for Russell using an unprotected 2021 pick and expiring contracts.

I doubt expiring would have worked. The Warriors don't care about the cap and expiring wouldn't have gotten them close to having space so they wouldn't have interest. They brought in Russell mainly to get something for KD, it didn't matter if he fit. The plan was always to use him and his salary to bring in talent that fit better and they did that in way, while adding some very good picks. Wiggins isn't great but like Russ said, he's sort of like a Harrison Barnes type that fits much better with their core and maybe being the 4th option helps him realize his potential some.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt expiring would have worked. The Warriors don't care about the cap and expiring wouldn't have gotten them close to having space so they wouldn't have interest. They brought in Russell mainly to get something for KD, it didn't matter if he fit. The plan was always to use him and his salary to bring in talent that fit better and they did that in way, while adding some very good picks. Wiggins isn't great but like Russ said, he's sort of like a Harrison Barnes type that fits much better with their core and maybe being the 4th option helps him realize his potential some.

Oubre, filler and a pick would have gotten it done.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It makes sense in that respect. On twitter some were looking at Wiggins as filler plus him being on a large long term contract didn't sound attractive.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We'll see maybe Wiggins will surprise me but I'm really not expecting him to fit. I just hope he gets what he's getting into. I remember at KU the argument was he's too passive, he's the best guy out here but he doesn't seem to get what's expected of him at Kansas he doesn't want to be the man.

He's much more mature now and much more aggressive but it's also going to be the first time in the NBA where he's expected to win, not this year, but next year if they're healthy the expectation is going to be deep run in the playoffs again. It's much easier to put up stats with no expectation of winning. For all his flaws I give Barnes credit, he became a good defender and rebounder as part of those Warrior teams. He just couldn't make a shot when needed in the up 3-1 collapse against the Cavs who basically dared him to shoot. He did what was asked of him to win, he just couldn't make the key shots when needed.

With Wiggins the question is will he be willing to do the little things to help them win. Some guys do that they go to a winning team and they want to win, some guys don't, time will tell.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He is on his 4th team in 3 years... so a lot of people don’t really like Russell.

A lot of hyperbole gets tossed around here, claims that guys are the worst defender at their position... but, statistically, Russell IS one one of the worst defenders in the league. Unironically, Wiggins is right there with him.

I want nothing to do with Russell on a max contract. I also think he and Booker’s talents do not mesh in the slightest.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minnesota is 15-35 and the Suns are 20-31. It'll be interesting to see who wins more before the year is up but I'd bet the Suns have a better record in their final 31 games than the Wolves in their last 32. If the Suns do perform better than the Wolves, what sort of message does that send Booker about how his future would be in Minnesota vs Phoenix?

I don't see Booker forcing his way out this offseason, especially to Minnesota. I can see Russell and Towns partnership straining their friendship more than it effecting Booker's views on where he plays.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I enjoy reading most of the posts on the Suns Forum but rarely post.

I recently heard on the radio that the Suns (at that time) were 4 games from the lottery and 4 games from the playoffs. With that in mind, what do you think the Suns should have done before the trade deadline?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Does anyone here think that the Russell/KAT combo in Minny is going to produce a consistently winning basketball team? I suppose it could happen, but I doubt it. A Russell/KAT/Booker team has HUGE defensive liabilities. Even Devin Booker must get that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone here think that the Russell/KAT combo in Minny is going to produce a consistently winning basketball team? I suppose it could happen, but I doubt it. A Russell/KAT/Booker team has HUGE defensive liabilities. Even Devin Booker must get that.

DPM isn't a stat that I put a ton of faith in, good defenders can have their ratings soured by being around terrible teammates. But when you're essentially dead last in the stat it is pretty telling.

In DPM Towns is rated as the worst defensive center in the entire league. Russell rates as the 4th worst guard.

The Wolves are going to have issues.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Minnesota is 15-35 and the Suns are 20-31. It'll be interesting to see who wins more before the year is up but I'd bet the Suns have a better record in their final 31 games than the Wolves in their last 32. If the Suns do perform better than the Wolves, what sort of message does that send Booker about how his future would be in Minnesota vs Phoenix?

I don't see Booker forcing his way out this offseason, especially to Minnesota. I can see Russell and Towns partnership straining their friendship more than it effecting Booker's views on where he plays.

Minnesota will finish at least 5 games ahead of the Suns.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the best the pick can be is 4th in 21, or better in 22 which isn't as good a draft so I guess they want 4th in 21.

NBC Sports came out with something today I found interesting but not surprising, said it took not long at all for people with the Warriors to decide D Lo wasn't a long term fit. Very early on Draymond publicly said D Lo played really well on defense in a game and "now we expect that every game. We know he can do it now. Before we didn't, we didn't know did anybody ever demand defense from him or not. We do, and now we know he can do it, he has to do it every night." that coupled with his ball dominance they decided quickly he didn't fit their roster with Klay and Steph back.

He kind of grew on me, i was fine with trading him, just not for Wiggins. Would have been much happier if they worked a multi team trade and got Joe Harris. That could have been their payback to Durant, stick him with Wiggins!

Yeah, like it has been said, the Warriors are now the 3rd team in 3 years to dump Russell like a bad habit. I think he doesn't responds well to coaching and generally isn't very competitive and is a truly putrid defender.

He and Towns should be like peas and carrots. Now enabling eachother's worst habits.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is on his 4th team in 3 years... so a lot of people don’t really like Russell.

A lot of hyperbole gets tossed around here, claims that guys are the worst defender at their position... but, statistically, Russell IS one one of the worst defenders in the league. Unironically, Wiggins is right there with him.

I want nothing to do with Russell on a max contract. I also think he and Booker’s talents do not mesh in the slightest.

I was simply asking @Russ Smith if he thought that trade might work (Suns unprotected 2021 pick and expiring contracts) instead of the trade the Wolves made with Wiggins. He follows the Warriors closely.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping the Russell/Towns combo doesn't work for the Suns sake but it is going to be very interesting to follow.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Minnesota traded Wiggins for the PG version of Wiggins. High volume low impact. That said it keeps Towns happy for the time being so it’s a good move. On the court it’s not really a game-changer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minnesota traded Wiggins for the PG version of Wiggins. High volume low impact. That said it keeps Towns happy for the time being so it’s a good move. On the court it’s not really a game-changer.

If the Wolves have another 20 something win season next year and give up a high pick in that deep draft, then it is a huge mistake.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no chance, we (justifiably) declined his option on his rookie contract. I'm sure he'd go play in Europe before signing here for beans.

I'd say small chance rather than no chance given that he was reportedly in love with the Scottsdale scene.