NBA Draft 7-29-2021: Suns select?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I will say right now my preference from the draft is another big. But I'm also pragmatic and realistic. At #29, we will be extremely hard pressed to find a big that will contribute within even the next two years, let alone right away.

That's why I think we're going to go guard, point or combo, it doesn't matter. That position will be what we go for.
I kind of agree. To my memory late bigs don’t seem to hit as much as late guards and wings (euros excepted). Would love to land a Mann (clippers) type guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona Sports has an article on some players the Suns might have interest. It's worth the read.

I'm still wanting Miles McBride.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It likely won't matter who we draft at #29. Rumor has it Pelicans are trying to clear cap space and is willing to trade #10. Have no clue how the Suns could do it but maybe make a call?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It likely won't matter who we draft at #29. Rumor has it Pelicans are trying to clear cap space and is willing to trade #10. Have no clue how the Suns could do it but maybe make a call?

I'm not sure why it doesn't matter who the Suns draft at #29. There are some nice depth players there with upside.

Suns drafted #10 in the last draft and it didn't pay immediate dividends.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If we can get a disabled player exception for Dario then that can be used to acquire a player in a trade so long as the contract doesn't go beyond next season. That will be roughly $4.5 million or so. I can't see that getting us a lottery pick though. Not for taking such a small expiring deal off their hands.

The main reason I'm mentioning it is so others are aware that could be an option. I believe we can apply for that on August 1st, whenever the new league year starts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it doesn't matter who the Suns draft at #29. There are some nice depth players there with upside.

Suns drafted #10 in the last draft and it didn't pay immediate dividends.
Sure, but the success rate of a player taken that late is what--2%?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The number of successful second round picks and even undrafted players is long without even considering late first round picks.

This link below only points out the best but there are so many more.

For example Duncan Robinson and Kendick Nunn of the Heat went undrafted.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The number of successful second round picks and even undrafted players is long without even considering late first round picks.

This link below only points out the best but there are so many more.

For example Duncan Robinson and Kendick Nunn of the Heat went undrafted.

I think Chap and I are referring to is statically the likelihood of getting an impact player at #29 is extremely low. The list of unsuccessful draft picks at that number is vastly larger that getting lucky and finding a gem. I am not sure the Suns are looking for that anyway in this draft. They are in win now mode which means getting veterans who can play now are likely the priority. If they stand pat at #29 that makes sense. If they move up that is a different story IMO.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Chap and I are referring to is statically the likelihood of getting an impact player at #29 is extremely low. The list of unsuccessful draft picks at that number is vastly larger that getting lucky and finding a gem. I am not sure the Suns are looking for that anyway in this draft. They are in win now mode which means getting veterans who can play now are likely the priority. If they stand pat at #29 that makes sense. If they move up that is a different story IMO.
Right. Just think of the math. After pick 20, there are 40 more players that are picked. Of that 40, how many on average make it in the league for more than a year or two? 3? 4 maybe? And of THOSE, how many become "stars". I would say 1 every few years, if that.

Now look at those numbers over 10 years. That's 400 total players, with only 40 at most being impact players and probably 5 being stars. That is pretty poor odds. And then you throw in the undrafted players, and you have a virtual crapshoot past Pick #20, in pretty much EVERY year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Covert Rain

I think you will find this article interesting. The talent pool is getting deeper for teams that seek like the Heat and Raptors. It's not as much about math as the effort spent to find and develop these players.

By Brian Windhorst ESPN Senior Writer:

"You're seeing more undrafted guys contribute, and I think a possible reason is the difference between the 25th player in the draft and the 95th player is getting thinner," said Nurse, who won a championship as a G League head coach and has always believed in the potential of players in the minors. "It makes player development and using your G League team important factors."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
@Covert Rain

I think you will find this article interesting. The talent pool is getting deeper for teams that seek like the Heat and Raptors. It's not as much about math as the effort spent to find and develop these players.

"You're seeing more undrafted guys contribute, and I think a possible reason is the difference between the 25th player in the draft and the 95th player is getting thinner," said Nurse, who won a championship as a G League head coach and has always believed in the potential of players in the minors. "It makes player development and using your G League team important factors."

“…using your G League team important factors”

if you’ve got one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

if you’ve got one.

James Jones seems to hate young players. He has as much as said it.

I understand young players don't win titles, but without young cheap players your roster gets way to expensive to have depth.

I really don't like this approach for the long term - or even medium term.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if you’ve got one.

Hopefully the Suns will realize down the road that a heavier investment in scouting will actually save money by paying dividends with less expensive talent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones seems to hate young players. He has as much as said it.

I understand young players don't win titles, but without young cheap players your roster gets way to expensive to have depth.

I really don't like this approach for the long term - or even medium term.

This made the selection of Jalen Smith at #10 even more perplexing in the 2020 draft.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was trying to find a list of players the Suns are working out and found this at HoopsHype.

By Alberto De Roa | June 18, 2021 ET, HoopsHype:

1PLAYERDATEPOSTEAMAMD
2Neemias QuetaJuly 8CUtah St.47
3Aaron WigginsN/ASGMaryland57
4Anthony TarkeJuly 6SGCoppin StateNot ranked
5Jayvon GravesJuly 6PGBuffaloNot ranked
6Jordan SchakelN/ASGSan Diego StateNot ranked
7Jose AlvaradoN/APGGeorgia TechNot ranked
8Matt MitchellN/ASFSan Diego StateNot ranked
9Oscar Da SilvaN/APFStanfordNot ranked
10Tyson EtienneJuly 6PGWichita St.Not ranked

Just for sake of argument, when do the Suns usually draft a guy they brought in for a work out?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for sake of argument, when do the Suns usually draft a guy they brought in for a work out?

The current Suns are so secretive. Deandre Ayton?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We don't have our own affiliate, but we can send players to the G League whenever we want. It's not like we're barred from it.
Not our coaches or organization. Is it the biggest thing in the world? No. Do small things result in championships? Yes they do.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not our coaches or organization. Is it the biggest thing in the world? No. Do small things result in championships? Yes they do.
Not this. A G League player is never going to be the difference between a title and losing in the Finals.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not this. A G League player is never going to be the difference between a title and losing in the Finals.
Well Khris middleton was in the g league as a rookie. so that statement isn’t true.

Past Call-Ups have included current NBA standouts Chris Andersen — the league’s first-ever Call-Up to the Denver Nuggets in 2001 — Danny Green (Reno Bighorns to San Antonio Spurs in 2010-11), Gerald Green (Los Angeles D-Fenders to New Jersey Nets in 2010-11), Hassan Whiteside (Iowa Energy to Miami Heat in 2014-15), Robert Covington (Grand Rapids Drive to Philadelphia 76ers in 2014-15), Yogi Ferrell

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Covert Rain

Again not saying it never happens. However, the numbers are extremely lopsided. That doesn't even factor the number of years it takes to develop that talent assuming you nailed one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well Khris middleton was in the g league as a rookie. so that statement isn’t true.

Past Call-Ups have included current NBA standouts Chris Andersen — the league’s first-ever Call-Up to the Denver Nuggets in 2001 — Danny Green (Reno Bighorns to San Antonio Spurs in 2010-11), Gerald Green (Los Angeles D-Fenders to New Jersey Nets in 2010-11), Hassan Whiteside (Iowa Energy to Miami Heat in 2014-15), Robert Covington (Grand Rapids Drive to Philadelphia 76ers in 2014-15), Yogi Ferrell
What's your argument here? Detroit sent him to the G-League a bunch his rookie season. So what? By that rationale, Jalen Smith could end up like Khris Middleton?

I don't know what your so upset about. Jalen Smith has had plenty of time to learn our playbooks. The whole purpose of the G-League is to get time on the court. "Plays" are secondary because, you know, 85% of that league will never sniff an NBA roster. Are you mad we don't have our own affiliate? Why?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What's your argument here? Detroit sent him to the G-League a bunch his rookie season. So what? By that rationale, Jalen Smith could end up like Khris Middleton?

I don't know what your so upset about. Jalen Smith has had plenty of time to learn our playbooks. The whole purpose of the G-League is to get time on the court. "Plays" are secondary because, you know, 85% of that league will never sniff an NBA roster. Are you mad we don't have our own affiliate? Why?
Sigh, “so upset?” cmon chap. We have always heard in every sport that details won championships. If your team isn’t do absolutely everything possible to win they’re lagging competition. It’s that simple. And if you think “plays” are the only thing that owning a g league team means you’re missing the importance of culture you’re missing the importance of integration of coaching teams and the ability to dictate what a player works on and court time, etc.

That said, my previous post was just meant to blow your comment that no g league impacted winning a championship off the site. Mission accomplished.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose