NAU's Nico Young wins two National Championships in indoor Track, Jacks finish 4th in the nation

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young won the 3,000 M and the 5,000 M

NAU also scored in the weight throw, and two other runners scored in the distance events.

Northern Arizona's Nico Young cruises to men's 5k championship​

Northern Arizona's Nico Young took home the men's 5000m run with a time of 13:25.29. He beat the second-place finisher by more than two seconds after a sensational sprint to the finish line. Young didn't break his NCAA record of 12:57.14 that he set back in January, but he does get a championship after he finished fourth in 2023. Check out the full results here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is NAU's third top 4 trophy this college season.

NAU's men and women's cross-country both finished second

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAU also had one placer in the women's event.

No other state school had any competitors in the women's championship.

Arizona State finished tied for 24th in the men's championship, while Arizona or Grand Canyon failed to quality ANYONE for either championship

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
NAU also had one placer in the women's event.

No other state school had any competitors in the women's championship.

Arizona State finished tied for 24th in the men's championship, while Arizona or Grand Canyon failed to quality ANYONE for either championship
At almost 7,000 feet, a lot of athletes train in Flagstaff. Not quite as high as Mexico City, but pretty close. I had a Judo teacher on the Olympic team teach at NAU when I was at school there. When I was there, an Olympian lady in the bike used to ride down on her bike to Prescott on Fridays from Flagstaff. Then party with friends, and ride back UPHILL to Flagstaff! What a way to get over a hang over!

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At almost 7,000 feet, a lot of athletes train in Flagstaff. Not quite as high as Mexico City, but pretty close. I had a Judo teacher on the Olympic team teach at NAU when I was at school there. When I was there, an Olympian lady in the bike used to ride down on her bike to Prescott on Fridays from Flagstaff. Then party with friends, and ride back UPHILL to Flagstaff! What a way to get over a hang over!
Yup - that is one of the main attractions that gets world class runners to NAU.

When I lived up there, and worked for Budget Rent-a-car, we would regularly rent vans to swim teams, track teams, etc from all over the world.

It was insane in the summer of 1984 before the LA Olympics - a very large percentage of the world's top distance runners were training in Flagstaff. Imagine the same will happen in 2028

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought Mexico city was 5000 ft?
Prescott is almost a mile which is about 5200 feet. Prescott was originally the Mile High City. Then Denver started using the moniker and it stuck. So the US Congress made Prescott, Christmas City.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ah, thx. My bad. Don't know why I thought that. :rolleyes: :shrug:
Most people think a mile high is higher than 7,000 feet. Won a few bar bets on which is higher, Mexico City or Denver. Most the bets I won, people right away said, "Well, Denver is the Mile High City, so it's Denver."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard