National media blowback on Wilks termination!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I can't believe all these ESPN talking heads are ripping the Cardinals for letting Steve Wilks go. Would they rather we be a John Elway and give him another year to fail? If there ever was a mercy killing, this was it.

To all the ESPN and NFLN geniuses: how many head coaching interviews is Steve Wilks now getting? He will be a solid D-Coordinator again, probably at Carolina, but he wasn't ready to be an NFL head coach period. That isn't his fault, its the Cardinals fault, they hired him.

He wasn't all of the problem, but he was a big part of the problem.

Michael Bidwill needs to get this hire right. ~Captain Obvious

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The nation media that doesn't watch Arizona Cardinals games, and never have should have to sit down and watch every minute of every game from 2018, and then talk about the Wilks situation.

I 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, think it is crazy to fire a coach after one season, yet Steve Wilks along with the Cardinals organization worked REALLY HARD, on failing at a historical level.

All that being said, I couldn't watch every minute of every game. Heck, I listened to the last three games on the radio, and this coming from a fan that has missed maybe one game since 1998.

Worst team since the team moved to Arizona, and probably in Cardinals history. While ESPN doesn't care about Arizona or the Cardinals, they sure have spent a lot of time laughing at them through the years, so when it is the worst team produced by one of their annual laughing stocks in the league, I think, even with there psuedo-sports coverage, they should realize that they are being ridiculous in this situation and wrong.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw or heard ESPN analyze ANYTHING with the Arizona Cardinals ? Now they are experts ? Please.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The nation media that doesn't watch Arizona Cardinals games, and never have should have to sit down and watch every minute of every game from 2018, and then talk about the Wilks situation.

I 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, think it is crazy to fire a coach after one season, yet Steve Wilks along with the Cardinals organization worked REALLY HARD, on failing at a historical level.

All that being said, I couldn't watch every minute of every game. Heck, I listened to the last three games on the radio, and this coming from a fan that has missed maybe one game since 1998.

Worst team since the team moved to Arizona, and probably in Cardinals history. While ESPN doesn't care about Arizona or the Cardinals, they sure have spent a lot of time laughing at them through the years, so when it is the worst team produced by one of their annual laughing stocks in the league, I think, even with there psuedo-sports coverage, they should realize that they are being ridiculous in this situation and wrong.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw or heard ESPN analyze ANYTHING with the Arizona Cardinals ? Now they are experts ? Please.
:thumbup:

I said & feel basically much of the same yesterday. The backlash will have an effect no doubt. Perception does matter. Ugh

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Elway was in same situation with Vance Joseph. wanted to fire him last year, got talked out of it, but he should have been fired last year.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Elway was in same situation with Vance Joseph. wanted to fire him last year, got talked out of it, but he should have been fired last year.
Elway is a media darling. He is worshiped by Schefter. But even some of the ESPN morons are starting to say he needs to get this hire right. Ya think?

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, Wilks had to go but they are all correct in saying a big part of the problem was in the GM and roster. Keim should have walked hand in hand with Wilks out the door. That is where Bidwill dropped the ball.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Heard it on Mike & Mike this morning. They were talking to Damien Woody and he thought Wilks got a raw deal with the way the roster was and only getting 1 year. I say who cares how many years he was here. He was terrible and needed to go. He still gets paid. Keim, as many have stated, should have been handed a pink slip as well.

Cards have always been treated like a red headed step child. Even when they went to the Super Bowl they were called terrible and the worst NFC team ever to get there. They can all pound sand for all I care.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes, Wilks had to go but they are all correct in saying a big part of the problem was in the GM and roster. Keim should have walked hand in hand with Wilks out the door. That is where Bidwill dropped the ball.

No. A good coach could have won 3-4 more games. Both Seahawks games were very winnable. Bears game was winnable. Oakland game was winnable.

No way this team should've been blown out as often as it was. Coaching was by far the biggest issue, and now it seems apparent the GM didn't even pick the coach.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wilks doesn't know X and Os to scheme a thing on professional football field. At a basic level, Wilks could not line up his defense correctly in week 17 in which his expertise lies. Plus fumbling in-game calls, And more to go on....

How the hell is Wilks going to succeed even if brought back for another 2 years? I think his fate is same as Jim Zorn in 5 years/

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem with all of the national idiots is that they didn't watch the team play. They can kick and scream all they want, but they didn't see them play. If Wilks got a raw deal, then one of the other 7 teams will be gladly bring him in as HC. But they won't because he is complete trash as a HC.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. A good coach could have won 3-4 more games. Both Seahawks games were very winnable. Bears game was winnable. Oakland game was winnable.

No way this team should've been blown out as often as it was. Coaching was by far the biggest issue, and now it seems apparent the GM didn't even pick the coach.

Like I said, Wilks definitely deserves to be gone. But you think the GM has no fault in this season's disaster? Whether he picked the coach or not is irrelevant. The WR core, OL, CB#2, LB. These have been issues we on this board have been harping on for years but yet they remain holes. The roster gaffs, not to mentioned the DUI fiasco should have been enough to push Keim out the door. I think that's where the ownership falls short in the eyes of the media. To give Keim a pass, giving all the issues, makes the Wilks firing look suspect (even though we as fans know it was the right move).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Like I said, Wilks definitely deserves to be gone. But you think the GM has no fault in this season's disaster? Whether he picked the coach or not is irrelevant. The WR core, OL, CB#2, LB. These have been issues we on this board have been harping on for years but yet they remain holes. The roster gaffs, not to mentioned the DUI fiasco should have been enough to push Keim out the door. I think that's where the ownership falls short in the eyes of the media. To give Keim a pass, giving all the issues, makes the Wilks firing look suspect (even though we as fans know it was the right move).

Teams can't fix every problem every off-season. The WR corps is in transition. The LB corps was serviceable if it were a 3-4...it's not suited for a 4-3. #2 CB was good enough to win with.

Sure there are roster shortfalls, but this was retooling year and the coaching staff brought negative value to the table. I have to agree with MB, the GM presided over 50 wins in 5 seasons. He gets another year benefit of the doubt Wilks? Hell no.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Wilks doesn't know X and Os to scheme a thing on professional football field. At a basic level, Wilks could not line up his defense correctly in week 17 in which his expertise lies. Plus fumbling in-game calls, And more to go on....

The only thing Wilks got right was deferring the opening kickoff when we won the coin toss. After that he always got out-coached.

Last edited:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Say something about football so I can throw this crap fest back to that forum.

Good idea KV, but I just ragged on Wilks with my previous post. It was a big pet peeve of mine when Arians would always receive the opening kickoff when we won the coin toss.

But hey we won the 1st pick!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To imply that this was race related is ludicrous. The media has their panties in a wad because several of the coaches that were fired were black. Coincidences all. The only coach I thought got a raw deal was Joseph. 2 years and no decent QB either year and trading away one of their better receivers wasn't smart either. They still have a pretty good defense. But Jackson, Lewis, Bowles, and Wilks were all justified. Yes Wilks only got 1 year but he was in over his head. And, regardless of what the players were saying, the team quit on him. You can't have players quitting on a coach, especially a first year coach.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elway is a media darling. He is worshiped by Schefter. But even some of the ESPN morons are starting to say he needs to get this hire right. Ya think?

Elway is the guy they want to succeed. A few years back Stephen Ross gave Dan Marino the job as VP of football operations for his Dolphins, with full authority. 18 days into the job Dan quit realizing it wasn't as easy as he expected. John Elway hasn't figured that out yet. Now when ESPN/NFLNetwork et al take camera shots of Elway in his owner's box, they have a party in their collective pants. They need a celebrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson