Nash -- Improve or I'm Gone

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
His pick for a coach was not horrific. The problem is that he bend over to Nash and did not follow through with the change of style.

Good plan, horrible execution.

He picked a coach that did not work with the current personell. Porter had a horrible track record as a coach previously and was a poor communicator.

How in the world can you defend that choice?

The plan may have been good but the choice was horrible. Kerr made that choice.

IMO, he should have stayed with D'Antoni, Mike fit the personell. He should have got Mike a player or two to shore up the defense and rebounding.

Kerr was the beginning of the end. Babby is putting the finishing touches on what Kerr started.

Kerr inherited Amare, Marion and Nash, a very good big three.

He traded Marion for Shaq then traded Shaq for nothing except expiring contracts.

The summer he left we did not sign Amare so we bascially lost 2 or our big 3 for nothing in return.

Soon we will be 3 for 3.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He picked a coach that did not work with the current personell. Porter had a horrible track record as a coach previously and was a poor communicator.

How in the world can you defend that choice?

The plan may have been good but the choice was horrible. Kerr made that choice.

IMO, he should have stayed with D'Antoni, Mike fit the personell. He should have got Mike a player or two to shore up the defense and rebounding.

Kerr was the beginning of the end. Babby is putting the finishing touches on what Kerr started.

Kerr inherited Amare, Marion and Nash, a very good big three.

He traded Marion for Shaq then traded Shaq for nothing except expiring contracts.

The summer he left we did not sign Amare so we bascially lost 2 or our big 3 for nothing in return.

Soon we will be 3 for 3.

Agree with much of what you said except the part above. D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less system deemphasizes defense and rebounding by placing an emphasis on getting out on the wing and shooting quickly versus crashing the boards. It also leaves fewer guys "home" to collapse on defense. D'Antoni always preferred offensive guys to defensive. Look what he did in New York.

Kerr already tried to get D'Antoni to change up the system and and place more of an emphasis on defense and rebounding. If you listened to the interview with Kerr on KTAR after D'Antoni's departure it was very telling. D'Antoni basically told him your not going to tell me how to coach (paraphrasing) if I comeback.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
O man to I agree with you on this. All Steve Nash is doing is paving the way for leaving this summer. If he had any balls he would have said this just this way BEFORE the trade deadline. This is about Steve Nash controlling his own destiny. He did not want to be traded some place mid season, so he let everyone believe that he wanted to be here and would not say anything publicly. Now that there is no chance of making a deal he speaks up.

I just lost a huge amount of respect for Steve Nash. He is a selfish &*^&* just like all the rest of them.

Did you type that with a straight face?

Only someone really naive would think Nash was automatically going to re-sign regardless of what happened. That would be incredibly stupid of him. Why would he do that?

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I do think he'll be back next season. I think this is just his way of telling management not to screw up this time. I'd really like to see him get a chance for a championship on the Heat.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just ONCE, I'd love to see a reporter say: Steve (or any player), knowing already that you're contract will take up a good amount of cap space AND knowing that the FA market will be thin this year... and knowing that a team that doesn't make the playoffs likely doesn't have a lot of tradable assest to get a superstar, how exactly do you see this team improving itself?

I mean... just call these guys on their **** for once. and do the same thing with the FO. their plan (if it is to rebuild with this one big off-season) is ludicrous knowing the above... which anyone who follows basketball knows already.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Is the NBA starting a Senior League!

The SNBA where naps happen!!!

This would have been the perfect year for the Senior Suns. Next year they'll have to play a full 82 games?

I could see OKC showing up to play these guys with one hand tied behind their back.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Is the NBA starting a Senior League!

The SNBA where naps happen!!!

Another thing to consider is we have a great training staff and the Mayo Clinic which has one of the best Geriatric facilities in the world.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boatloads of money to spend on what? We're going to be all dressed up with nowhere to go, and will either panic and give Nash a ridiculous extension, and overpay greatly to appease him, or just do the Turk/Warrick/Chilz/Frye turd sandwich because we have it. Whoopie.

I do not want the Suns to sign role players long term (as a substitute) if they cannot sign a star quality player(s). An idea would be for the Suns to overspend on short term contracts and stay liquid rather than tie up their money in mediocre players for long term contracts. For example Kris Humphries and Grant Hill were signed to one year contracts. Better yet, it would be awesome if the Suns could buy another first round pick(s) and have multiple players on rookie contracts. I hope the Suns have some FAs or RFAs already targeted that can be obtained.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
?

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ix-suns-steve-nash-loyalty.html#ixzz1qY0JNugT

In February
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...-relatively-down-from-line.html#ixzz1nEnqg1vY

Here's Dudley also in February
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/02/13/nash.suns/index.html

I don't know where you got the idea that Nash was staying here regardless of what happened. I doubt anyone in the organization has that impression.

Because maybe perhaps he did not want a trade to a contender? Like he said? My guess is he wants to remain a Sun as long as they can go at least one offseason without botching everything up and doing a little more than the bare minimum.

Why would he do that? Just for ***** and giggles?

You're missing Duffy's quotes on radio back in December and January where he said Nash did not want to leave and that he and the team were discussing contract extension. It's why the Suns didn't trade him, which is what I think a lot of us wished had happened. Duffy didn't want the Suns to trade him because he wanted them in the pool of teams bidding for his services. And Nash was down with that.

Yay, Team Nash, I suppose.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We spent almost a decade on this board discussing how D'Antoni could have Dennis Rodman in his prime and Rodman would be glued to the bench. D'Antoni would never have played him. If you couldn't legitimately spread the floor and shoot the 3, he really had no interest in you.

Kerr never bothered to go out and get players like that because the Suns would have paid for players who D'Antoni had no time for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We spent almost a decade on this board discussing how D'Antoni could have Dennis Rodman in his prime and Rodman would be glued to the bench. D'Antoni would never have played him. If you couldn't legitimately spread the floor and shoot the 3, he really had no interest in you.

Kerr never bothered to go out and get players like that because the Suns would have paid for players who D'Antoni had no time for.

Kerr could have chosen players in the draft who were trade assets or traded first round picks for future first round picks. There is no excuse for the KT trade debacle or selling picks. Good GMs do what is best for the team but they do not purge assets recklessly. Kerr could have gotten DA the type players he desired without liquidating assets. I'm not saying this would have been the best thing for the team in retrospect but at least he could have used those picks as an asset so that the Suns would not be depleted of quality young talent.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr could have chosen players in the draft who were trade assets or traded first round picks for future first round picks. There is no excuse for the KT trade debacle or selling picks. Good GMs do what is best for the team but they do not purge assets recklessly. Kerr could have gotten DA the type players he desired without liquidating assets. I'm not saying this would have been the best thing for the team in retrospect but at least he could have used those picks as an asset so that the Suns would not be depleted of quality young talent.

Dude, that wasn't Kerr's plan. He was given marching orders by Sarver to cut payroll. It's why Kerr gave up. He wasn't allowed to actually be a GM. He realized he was brought in to be Sarver's pit bull guarding the bank.

Now, I'm still not a huge fan of Kerr, didn't like the original choice, but I can't judge him based on what he did in Phoenix.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
You're missing Duffy's quotes on radio back in December and January where he said Nash did not want to leave and that he and the team were discussing contract extension. It's why the Suns didn't trade him, which is what I think a lot of us wished had happened. Duffy didn't want the Suns to trade him because he wanted them in the pool of teams bidding for his services. And Nash was down with that.

Yay, Team Nash, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure Nash's current contract can't be extended. And it still sounds like Nash doesn't want to leave.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, that wasn't Kerr's plan. He was given marching orders by Sarver to cut payroll. It's why Kerr gave up. He wasn't allowed to actually be a GM. He realized he was brought in to be Sarver's pit bull guarding the bank.

Now, I'm still not a huge fan of Kerr, didn't like the original choice, but I can't judge him based on what he did in Phoenix.

If Kerr was a yes man for Sarver, this speaks volumes about how he operated as a GM in Phoenix. It became his plan because he implemented it. IMO, this is not something where Kerr gets a free pass. As I recall Kerr even admitted that the Kurt Thomas trade was one of the worst trades in NBA history. I didn't see him walk it back.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you type that with a straight face?

Only someone really naive would think Nash was automatically going to re-sign regardless of what happened. That would be incredibly stupid of him. Why would he do that?

No. But be should have had the guts to talk like this before the trade deadline.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Nash's current contract can't be extended. And it still sounds like Nash doesn't want to leave.

Extension, new contract, whatever. I know they were talking contract and that was allegedly everyone's focus.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with much of what you said except the part above. D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less system deemphasizes defense and rebounding by placing an emphasis on getting out on the wing and shooting quickly versus crashing the boards. It also leaves fewer guys "home" to collapse on defense. D'Antoni always preferred offensive guys to defensive. Look what he did in New York.

Kerr already tried to get D'Antoni to change up the system and and place more of an emphasis on defense and rebounding. If you listened to the interview with Kerr on KTAR after D'Antoni's departure it was very telling. D'Antoni basically told him your not going to tell me how to coach (paraphrasing) if I comeback.

You see this is where I disagree with just about everyone, so be it. I am and will be until further notice a huge fan of Mike D'Antoni. He got a bad deal from the Suns and Melo ran him out of New York. That is my opinion and I ain't changing my mind just like most will not change their opinion on him.

He played Jared Jeffries a lot in New York, he is all defense and not much of a shooter. I believe Mike wanted him back this year and he came to play for Mike. Everyone claims he only plays guys that can shoot. His other favorite player this year was Shumpert and he is a poor shooter at best but a great defender.

Mike played just about eveyone on the roster in New York, because he had a bunch of guys that could play. At the beginning of this year he had no PG, prior to Lin and Baron emerging. Then Melo went Melo on him. Knick fans are currently happy. We will see how many Championships Melo wins in New York.

He had very little talent in Phoenix, beyond the first 7 or 8, and played them 30 to 35 minutes a night. He was light on practices and the team brought it every night. I do not remember them losing games becuase they were wore down. When they lost they rarely lost by a lot. A rebound or two more would have made a world of difference. A better option to back up Steve would have also helped a lot.

He always needed two things. A Jared Jeffries type to play alongside Amare and Shawn and a back up for Steve. Kerr/Sarver never got them for him.

Kerr's reply to filling those needs was that you need to change your coaching style. Assinine. When is it Kerr's job to give instructions on how to coach to D'Antoni. I doubt Phil Jackson ever received instructions on how to coach from his GM's. Coaches get fired not told how to coach by the GM. Kerr should have just fired him if he didn't like how he coached but Sarver did not want to pick up his salary. Lame...........

Most make D'Antoni out to be a bad coach.

In the end Kerr ran him out of town so we could win a Championship, playing the right way.

Since we don't have his lame butt on the bench where are the Championships. He has been gone for 4 years. We made the playoffs in only one of those years. Yep, another briliant decision by Steve Kerr.

Can anyone honestly say that Suns basketball has been more fun to watch since Mike left?

Mike and Steve to Orlando this Summer to team up with Dwight Howard?

Who won't want to watch that team?

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Nash goes to the Heat, that's the last I'll ever watch the NBA. The NBA is already piss poor in parity and if that happens then that will be it.

So true, there is no parity in the NBA, just 4-5 mega teams, then the mediocre teams that will never sniff a title, and a bunch of awful teams going nowhere.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He had very little talent in Phoenix, beyond the first 7 or 8, and played them 30 to 35 minutes a night. He was light on practices and the team brought it every night. I do not remember them losing games becuase they were wore down. When they lost they rarely lost by a lot. A rebound or two more would have made a world of difference. A better option to back up Steve would have also helped a lot.
Did you watch the playoffs? Your point about a crucial rebound or two in crunch time is valid in a playoff series. Mike's system always failed to address that. His coaching also failed to address the way the playoffs are officiated,which often led to him throwing temper tantrums on the sidelines,and whining instead of coaching and/or adjusting.

He always needed two things. A Jared Jeffries type to play alongside Amare and Shawn and a back up for Steve. Kerr/Sarver never got them for him.
He needed alot more than that. Steve Nash and a bunch of talented shooters and slashers wasn't near enough apparently.

Kerr's reply to filling those needs was that you need to change your coaching style. Assinine. When is it Kerr's job to give instructions on how to coach to D'Antoni?
When he replaces D'Antoni as a GM who can't get it done and a coach who is successful,but needs to adjust to the NBA post season.

I doubt Phil Jackson ever received instructions on how to coach from his GM's.
Me either,Phil got results past April.

Most make D'Antoni out to be a bad coach.
Now they do because his NBA body of work has been spread over nearly a decade now and what has he really done?

In the end Kerr ran him out of town so we could win a Championship, playing the right way.
I agree. Too bad Sarver ran Kerr out of town after that.

Since we don't have his lame butt on the bench where are the Championships. He has been gone for 4 years. We made the playoffs in only one of those years. Yep, another briliant decision by Steve Kerr.
The groceries have steadily run out since Sarver inherited a Ferrari of talent.

Can anyone honestly say that Suns basketball has been more fun to watch since Mike left?
:lol: Wow. This POV always kills me. The heart of whats wrong with the Phoenix Suns culture of basketball lies in the above quote. Nobody wins championships for scoring more points than everyone else in the regular season.

I'll answer your question though. No,it hasn't...but believe me when i tell you that its not because Mike D'Antoni isn't here anymore. Mike D'Antoni's dingleberry of success is still here but he shouldn't be at this point.

What this fanbase(Ok me...) needs to get excited again is a new hope based on building and creating something from scratch again,by investing in its future and having a core principle that says that "we will build it,and they will come." ......... Instead of "we will recycle it,and they will buy it for a while" :)

Last edited:

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I am shocked.

Someone disagrees with my take on Mike D'Antoni basketball.

Still not changing my mind, ever.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am shocked.

Someone disagrees with my take on Mike D'Antoni basketball.

Still not changing my mind, ever.

Don't worry, you'll never change anyone's opinion on Mike D either. I usually stay out of this argument as all the facts have been rehashed many times and the board is almost unanimous in it's opinion on his coaching style. For the most part, I'm one of the very few that happens to agree with you (mostly, anyway). I think he was an excellent coach and brought us our most enjoyable stretch of basketball ever. The biggest problem I had with him was his belief that it wasn't his job to teach young players.

This isn't the same NBA that he played in, it absolutely needs to be part of the job description for the coaching staff. I would have loved to see what this team could have done with a real (and strong) GM at the helm. Someone that would have identified and brought in young talent every year instead of selling it off for chump change, someone that would have demanded the coaching staff develop that talent. I think Mike would still be in Phoenix and we'd have celebrated a couple of championships along the way.

I think the league is a lesser place without him and his offense oriented style in it. It's harder to win it all playing his way but I'm convinced it was possible to do it. The league is going the other way right now so it's probably best he take a break for a few years. Maybe someday, the NBA will realize it has shot itself in the foot by allowing refs to ignore the rules during the playoffs that they were forced to follow during the season.

Steve