My wife now understands why.......

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I just never exude confidence in my team. Reason is that I have experienced the "same old Cardinals" for so long that it's now impossible to cleanse it from my system. No matter how good we may appear to be, a game like tonight's is always a possibility. Let's be real folks. Carson Palmer could never, ever, ever, ever lead us to the Super Bowl. He's mentally & emotionally scarred. Why, I don't know. I'm saddened to accept this, but it is what it is.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I just never exude confidence in my team. Reason is that I have experienced the "same old Cardinals" for so long that it's now impossible to cleanse it from my system. No matter how good we may appear to be, a game like tonight's is always a possibility. Let's be real folks. Carson Palmer could never, ever, ever, ever lead us to the Super Bowl. He's mentally & emotionally scarred. Why, I don't know. I'm saddened to accept this, but it is what it is.

I'm with you. Until we actually win the big one I'm always going to have in the back of my mind that this team will always find a way to screw it up.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Within the space of 7 years the Giants beat the 49ers 49-3 and the 49ers beat the Giants 44-3. And within that team each of those teams won two Super Bowls.

In 2002 the Colts lost to the Jets 41-0, and within four years Indy won a Super Bowl while the Jets haven't since 1969. There have also been a lot of blowouts by teams who haven't won the Super Bowl, like the Jaguars over the Dolphins and the Bills over the Raiders. Frankly, the Cardinals playoff record in the last decade isn't half bad.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Within the space of 7 years the Giants beat the 49ers 49-3 and the 49ers beat the Giants 44-3. And within that team each of those teams won two Super Bowls.

In 2002 the Colts lost to the Jets 41-0, and within four years Indy won a Super Bowl while the Jets haven't since 1969. There have also been a lot of blowouts by teams who haven't won the Super Bowl, like the Jaguars over the Dolphins and the Bills over the Raiders. Frankly, the Cardinals playoff record in the last decade isn't half bad.

I understand your point, but all the teams you mentioned were led by QB's that have won Super Bowls & were proud franchises that have won big games FREQUENTLY. Our team is led by a QB suffering from schizophrenia. The way that we played yesterday, the same can be said of our franchise. I'm sure we'll get there, but us long-time Cardinal fans will always be in dread before big games. Unless, of course, we somehow find another Kurt Warner.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I just never exude confidence in my team. Reason is that I have experienced the "same old Cardinals" for so long that it's now impossible to cleanse it from my system. No matter how good we may appear to be, a game like tonight's is always a possibility.
I have this anxiety also. I am never comfortable 100% due to the history of our team.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I understand your point, but all the teams you mentioned were led by QB's that have won Super Bowls & were proud franchises that have won big games FREQUENTLY. Our team is led by a QB suffering from schizophrenia. The way that we played yesterday, the same can be said of our franchise. I'm sure we'll get there, but us long-time Cardinal fans will always be in dread before big games. Unless, of course, we somehow find another Kurt Warner.

I understand your point as well. A few decades of Cardinals fandom--how could I not?? ;) I was living in NY when Warner was there, and of course followed him closely once he got to Arizona. He was a bit shell-shocked himself at that point. I'm not saying Carson will have he same kind of turnaround, but I have some faith.

Although, speaking of Warner, one reason I'd still like the team to draft a QBOF now is that there's something Trent Green or (maybe more accurately) Drew Bledsoe-like about Palmer. Excellent in the right conditions, can make all the throws including the deep ball--but makes us nervous, especially health-wise. Drafting the next Warner or Tom Brady is a little much to hope for, but then, I guess that's exactly what you hope for!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Really?

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3297388&postcount=2

The Cardinals are the better team, but home field advantage is huge. Carolina will have to play 60 minutes of football in order to beat us. Can they??

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes we sucked last night. Out played on both sides of the ball and Palmer's play was atrocious but look how far this team has come under BA, Keim, Mike Bidwill in just 3 years. 1) 3 consecutive 10 win seasons. Believe this is first time in franchise history 2) playoffs in 2 consecutive years and had a first round bye. First time in franchise history and 3) made it to the NFC championship game.

This is not "the same old Cardinals" I grew up watching.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I had no feeling about this game as to knowing we'd win or lose but I thought it would be much closer than it was. I was wrong others said it'd be a blow out one way or another and I didn't buy that at all, totally whiffed on that one.

Honestly their play shocked me which is why I think we're making progress. It would not normally have shocked me at all.

In the back of my head though on the day Palmer hurt his finger I had a thought that there goes the Super Bowl and right or wrong I believe that's the truth of the matter but hey stuff happens.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Yes we sucked last night. Out played on both sides of the ball and Palmer's play was atrocious but look how far this team has come under BA, Keim, Mike Bidwill in just 3 years. 1) 3 consecutive 10 win seasons. Believe this is first time in franchise history 2) playoffs in 2 consecutive years and had a first round bye. First time in franchise history and 3) made it to the NFC championship game.

No not at all.

We did have a shot to win it all I think had Palmer gone into that game clicking like he was before he got hurt we'd of had a much better shot because the mindset of the team would of been one of world beaters.

Once they all figured out Carson wasn't right the whole thing started to erode.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score

agree 100%. Been on this bandwagon (lol) since the late 70s. Last night sucked, but overall the Michael Bidwill/BASK regime has earned our trust in a big way. How quickly we sometimes forget decades of absolute misery.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
How many other Cardinal QBs have won us a Super Bowl? Even if CP never does, so what? I will take an 10-6 to 13-3 record every year and be thrilled the few remaining years of my life. For Christ's sake, I used to sit in the blazing hot sun thinking what losers the Cards were and how they didn't have a clue how to win a game. And that was before each game even started.

How many other years have one of our QBS taken us to the NFC championship game? Only 1 I know of and he is a HofF type QB. We are going to have a 5-10 year stretch that one day in a future decade we will all yearn for once again, begging for a return to the good old days of Fitz, Palmer, Peterson, and Johnson.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How many other Cardinal QBs have won us a Super Bowl? Even if CP never does, so what? I will take an 10-6 to 13-3 record every year and be thrilled the few remaining years of my life. For Christ's sake, I used to sit in the blazing hot sun thinking what losers the Cards were and how they didn't have a clue how to win a game. And that was before each game even started.

How many other years have one of our QBS taken us to the NFC championship game? Only 1 I know of and he is a HofF type QB. We are going to have a 5-10 year stretch that one day in a future decade we will all yearn for once again, begging for a return to the good old days of Fitz, Palmer, Peterson, and Johnson.

Excellent post. I was thinking the same thing regarding how quickly we seem to forget just how crappy the Cards were, year after year, for so long. I wasn't happy they got eviscerated yesterday, but it sure beats the old Sun Devil Stadium days of knowing they had absolutely no chance to chase a SB trophy.

MadBird

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I agree with several opinions in this thread. Yes, as a life long Cards fan I am always "guarded" going into big games. I'm conditioned to not expect too much. I get aggravated at Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys fans that just "know" their team is going to win...it's a given. I just can't make myself feel like they do...but why would I? the Cards have rarely ever won the big games. Therefore, I'm THRILLED with where this team is under BASK. I want deperately for the Cards to win a Superbowl, BUT if you were tell me over the next 5 years they won't, BUT they will COMPETE for it (even make it again and lose) I'd take that over the last 35 years...Where we have 1 or 2 winning seasons a DECADE! no...I prefer where we're at now...just give me something REAL to cheer for...How any Cards fan can say they HATE Carson Palmer is beyond me...Dude has played his heart out and won! I saw a guy that was as crushed as we were yesterday...he WANTS to win..and he wants to win as a Cardinal - how many times have we had good QB's like that? Maybe - just maybe - he needs a few years of playoffs under his belt to get the experience he needs to get to a SB. Time will tell But I love where the team is at right now. Better than the old days win I used to be GLAD the week the Cards were finally eliminated from the playoffs so I could quit worry about it...

Reaction score
Text I sent immediately following the NFC Championship game:

"Very disappointing performance by the Cardinals today! Especially Palmer. Oh well, better than the years of 5-11 records!"